Chill Out - This team was Built for a 2017 SB Run (1 Viewer)

How much does the offense miss the bruising maulers we had in Nicks and Evans?
Nicks and Evans made a big difference right up the gut and we ran the ball much better with them, but overall I can't recall a Payton season sans Deuce where, when the chips were down and we needed a yard there wasn't some kind of a struggle to move defenders back off the LOS and comfortably pick up the yardage.

I don't know why but assume it's because something about our schemes are biased to the needs of the passing attack and we either don't emphasize the trench battles of brute strength, or the kind of traits we draft for to protect the QB and execute the passing attack don't fit as well to the run game.

This team was built for a 2014 super bowl run, and we are still paying the price.

This is the truth. We swung for the fences. We missed. We are paying the price and hoping that it comes around in time for Brees to be a part of it. I think he will. I think we compete for it all next year.

This!!!

3rd and 1 and we pass... Talk about zero confidence in our O-line.. especially when we have the horses in the backfield to pound the rock in Ingram and Hightower..

How much does the offense miss the bruising maulers we had in Nicks and Evans?

We as fans get stoked every offseason and beginning of every new season. We Homer's have our rosie colored glasses on and we make UDFAs into 1st ballot Hall of Famers. It's only natural.

It would have been awesome if this 2016 team could have snuck into the last wildcard spot this year. But if you look back at many of the posts in the off-season, our multi-year weaknesses were well discussed: bad drafts, terrible FA signings, dead cap space, toxic team chemistry and Brees contract situation.

Certain steps had to be taken to make another SB run:

- 1st, SP had to get a team that reflected his character and personality. So he gutted a bunch of players. I think there's little question this team has fire, is scrappy and plays hard
- Had to get an O-line to be able to Protect Brees in his aging years and be able to run the ball. Besides yesterday's fiasco, we are still the #1 offense in the league and Ingram averages over 5 YPC
- We had to instill new coaching and better players on defense to at least make the defense mediocre. With a MASH unit of CBs, very little talent depth and no real disruptive defensive players, DA has done a respectable job with this team and for the 1st time in years, this defense has exciting promise
- Fix draft problems and bring in a bedrock of difference makers on defense. Rankins and Von Bell are future super-stars and some of our previous year draft picks looked really good before injury
- Sign Brees through 2017 without destroying future cap space. That was done perfectly
- Free up cap space to secure key FAs before 2017 season. That's done also
- And we picked up a future pro bowl WR in Thomas as a bonus

Admittedly, I've been tough on the Saints since 2014. Unfortunately I've been right more often that not. In that same view, I am really stoked about 2017 and maybe 2018 if Brees can stay healthy. Yes it's hard to get excited after a beat-down in our own Dome. But I don't think too many of us really expected a SB run this year.

Before we judge and sentence SP and Loomis to extinction, let's give it one more year. If 2017 is not much much better than 2014 - 2016, then we can scream for heads and those of you who believe this regime is doomed will be correct. But let's give them one more year.

If we keep McMahon and the rest of those doyos, then this team isn't built for any runs. They had motivation when they first came to the Saints and now they are just collecting a check.

Do I need to remind you of the 2011 season again :rant:
post-31458-Jim-Carrey-disgust-puke-gif-Du-5Lr8.gif

we will not have another winning record under this coaching regime.

No team goes into that draft or camp thinking you know we won't have a winning record this year we're built for next year. Some on this forum can point to a number of reasons why we're bad and lose games but, in all honesty some of the same problems the team had last year showed up this year. Slow starts to games and just bad timed turn overs and poor clock management and all you'll hear from the leaders every year after a win or loss is we played great but we have a lot to clean up.

We could open next season against the Browns, Niners, Jaguars and we'd still probably screw it up and open 0-3......I'm dead serious.

Long term trends for this program.

Its a trend because as an offense we likely practice Passing the ball more than running the ball.

In that regard you have to hit on physical guys with a nasty streak in the draft to compensate.

I mean its simple. You practice shooting 3pts alot you'll be good at 3's but your inside game may suffer. Same thing. Jahri/Nicks were man....we really hit on those guys. So yeah i mean that's just it, you gotta pay the cost to be the boss. We aren't going to suddenly turn into a dominant run blocking via practice. You have to add those guys.

Likely why we went after JR Sweezy who is known to have a mean streak and was a former dlineman.

Keep in mind we were interested in Scherff who also had a mean streak and I remember SP mentioning he went earlier than they expected and even the Redskins coach said they got flack for picking him that early but he wanted to draft a FB player with his 1st pick and he did.

Unless Payton makes staff changes on defense and special teams, it's not going to get much better. It won't be as bad as the last Mora seasons as long as Brees can still play.

Its a trend because as an offense we likely practice Passing the ball more than running the ball.

In that regard you have to hit on physical guys with a nasty streak in the draft to compensate.

I mean its simple. You practice shooting 3pts alot you'll be good at 3's but your inside game may suffer. Same thing. Jahri/Nicks were man....we really hit on those guys. So yeah i mean that's just it, you gotta pay the cost to be the boss. We aren't going to suddenly turn into a dominant run blocking via practice. You have to add those guys.

Likely why we went after JR Sweezy who is known to have a mean streak and was a former dlineman.

Keep in mind we were interested in Scherff who also had a mean streak and I remember SP mentioning he went earlier than they expected and even the Redskins coach said they got flack for picking him that early but he wanted to draft a FB player with his 1st pick and he did.

EJW - Do you see this year's team as another repeat of the 2014 and 2015 teams or do you positives which make you believe we can be realistically improved next year.

I absolutely agree about getting our butt kicked on the lines.

Your post has got me thinking...Does our O-line or D-line have more talent?

How far away are we from having dominant lines?

I absolutely agree about getting our butt kicked on the lines.

Your post has got me thinking...Does our O-line or D-line have more talent?

How far away are we from having dominant lines?

Oline is in bad state , age on the right , injuries and backups on the left with a improving but mediocre 2nd yr player

Not sure how the USFAs will be but I hate counting on them through offseason

OP, Good post. You may have talked me off of the ledge. You are right this was a rebuilding year with unforeseen injuries to the secondary. With cap space we should be able to buy a defense. But I must say it is still disappointing when you see flashes of greatness on defense and then they fold. Or you see an offense of consistent greatness only to have it stifled with horrible play calling. Optimistic for next year but let's build on success now and not breed a losing culture.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom