Chill Out - This team was Built for a 2017 SB Run (1 Viewer)

Many of us said this in preseason so the losses are not a surprise to all of us. The team is young and inexperienced, too many new faces that have not been together as a team. Or much less a winning team. That doesn't happen over night when your in rebuilding mode. We also had several starters out at the beginning of the year and played with an inexperienced secondary, besides injury, Loomis saw fit to cut Keenan Lewis and a couple other defensive starters from the team so those spots had to be taken by new players without the experience. We started in a big hole as a result.

I agree with the premise of the OP. I have been saying it was a rebuild for 2 years. SP and ML set about rebuilding things then. They had to get rid of bad actors, get right in the draft and hit some FA's. 2 out of 3 have been successful I think. The defense now has a core that can be built upon. DB seems ageless although that bares watching. A young group of WR's. OL not as bad as we thought in pre-season needs to be upgraded but not far from being more that competent.

This reminds me A LOT of 2005. Close often agonizing defeats symbolize we are not far. Remember FINISH? I think that will be the catch phrase of 2017. We will have cap space moving into next year. It is a MUST that we hit a couple.... not necessarily big names but solid players... Another good draft and I really think a run in 2017 is in the cards...

My handle is NEVERGIVEUP... I don't

We've had 7 bad weeks so far this season and yes it's over with. The Saints will not win 4 straight.

All this talk makes it sound like 2016 is over. We're not mathematically eliminated, and I still believe. We had a bad week! Hopefully, we won't have any more. Once we win these last 4 games, I think our 9-7 record will be enough. Hold your heads high, people. The season isn't over.

usually teams rebuild when they lose their franchise player or when they underperform so bad the coaching staff gets cleaned out and they trade away assets to stock up on future drafts and young players. we didn't lose a franchise player and the same coaches are still around. we have to "rebuild" because of a series of absolutely horrible personnel decisions stoked by horrible coaching. all the while no consequence for those responsible for getting us where we are right now. this is less of a professional football team and much more of an atm machine for sean payton and his cronies. the idea that we're supposed to accept this as the 3rd "rebuild" year in a row is ridiculous. this is a bad team with a bunch of bad coaches that are just making excuses hoping that the fanbase buys it.

usually teams rebuild when they lose their franchise player or when they underperform so bad the coaching staff gets cleaned out and they trade away assets to stock up on future drafts and young players. we didn't lose a franchise player and the same coaches are still around. we have to "rebuild" because of a series of absolutely horrible personnel decisions stoked by horrible coaching. all the while no consequence for those responsible for getting us where we are right now. this is less of a professional football team and much more of an atm machine for sean payton and his cronies. the idea that we're supposed to accept this as the 3rd "rebuild" year in a row is ridiculous. this is a bad team with a bunch of bad coaches that are just making excuses hoping that the fanbase buys it.

It's easy to understand and feel your frustration. I was screaming for changes since 2014. As discussed numerous times, we have no real GM, especially not player personnel type GM who can hold SP and the coaches accountable and also help SP and the coaches with better talent. Pretty much like you say, SP is untouchable. But I think they have tried to make some real changes which look to me to have some real possibility.

If 2017 is anything less than 10-6 and a playoff win, it will be time to get out the tar and feathers for the FO and coaching staff. If they do turn it around, then we will build some statues for them.

It's been a mediocre to bad cast around a great HOF player since 2012.

I get why they started shipping out certain under-performing players and trying to move others "a year too soon rather than a year too late" but in time with 11 seasons of context and seeing some of these players perform better elsewhere it seems the coaching and talent development issue and some poor evaluations of why players were not playing to their potential were also a significant factor.

Then there are the bad drafting and hiring decisions on top of it all.

We didn't get old and lose key players. We are rebuilding from big errors that were made in the effort to go all in to win another championship. They had a long run of bad decisions that compounded.

Yes swimmer I agree with you this time. You'll have to admit last years draft was great. First 3 pucks were outstanding and the last 2 showing lots of promise.
Another draft that good and 25 mil to fill the big holes and I have high hopes for 2017.

I sse a playoff push next year but we are not a super bowl contending team yet as we still need to get the offensive line in order and the corner back position in order not to mention LB and De, we are a draft or two from being in that contention because depth plays alot into the success of a team and we have been playing with our backups or street free agents as starters for most of the year and I think that is a testiment to how good the coaching has been on both sides of the ball.

I sse a playoff push next year but we are not a super bowl contending team yet as we still need to get the offensive line in order and the corner back position in order not to mention LB and De, we are a draft or two from being in that contention because depth plays alot into the success of a team and we have been playing with our backups or street free agents as starters for most of the year and I think that is a testiment to how good the coaching has been on both sides of the ball.

Building a Super Bowl team doesn't actually require a long, protracted build. We've already laid a great ground work. And a lot of our problems with depth will solve itself when injured players return and another stellar draft class to build upon the pretty good first one and the amazingly good second one.

I started saying this back in training camp.

The players that need to be at the important positions are there, with one major exception: pass rusher. As a whole, they are young, cheap, and capable of playing at an elite level.
The main needs are crystal flippin' clear (pass rusher, LB's & RG).
The minor needs are also very, very clear (RB, TE, backup RT, vet CB (always, lol)).
That's really not that many holes, when you think about it. 2 or 3 very good FA signings and your 1st and 2nd round picks and you have those taken care of.
There is money and there are draft picks. There is no shortage of resources to put into this 2 or 3 year run.

Enjoy watching players progress for these last 4 games and enjoy the heck outta 2017 & 2018, they are going to be really, really fun.

It's easy to understand and feel your frustration. I was screaming for changes since 2014. As discussed numerous times, we have no real GM, especially not player personnel type GM who can hold SP and the coaches accountable and also help SP and the coaches with better talent. Pretty much like you say, SP is untouchable. But I think they have tried to make some real changes which look to me to have some real possibility.

If 2017 is anything less than 10-6 and a playoff win, it will be time to get out the tar and feathers for the FO and coaching staff. If they do turn it around, then we will build some statues for them.

I think it's already tar and feather time. Remember a big part of how this roster was formed was Sean's efforts to get the right guys in the locker room. 3/4 thru this season and guys are pointing fingers at each other in interviews. Cooks whining about touches. It's not hard to diagnose organizational problems. You don't even have to be a football guy to see these problems. If I had to guess it seems Sean doesn't have the patience or energy to do his job as a head coach. And being the defacto GM only makes it worse. This team hasn't improved in 3 seasons. With our QB that's insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This team was built to do as well as possible while not spending money. The "Dead" money is mostly real dollars saved that still count against the cap and allow you to say that it is the rules keeping you from spending. Drew can't do it alone just like Manning couldn't.

Kris

Super Bowl is wayyy too high a goal for a team that could very well be headed toward their 3rd straight 7-9 season

Realistically, this team could very well be a playoff team next year but we'll have to get much better in defense, specifically the line and DB's. The only pleasant surprise has been the offensive line, which still isn't "great" by any standard.

Super Bowl is wayyy too high a goal for a team that could very well be headed toward their 3rd straight 7-9 season

Realistically, this team could very well be a playoff team next year but we'll have to get much better in defense, specifically the line and DB's. The only pleasant surprise has been the offensive line, which still isn't "great" by any standard.

Hey -I've been one of the biggest critics on the board during the 2014 and 2015 seasons. And you may very well be right. But what was our record in 2007 and 2008 before our SB run?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom