Chill Out - This team was Built for a 2017 SB Run (2 Viewers)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
We as fans get stoked every offseason and beginning of every new season. We Homer's have our rosie colored glasses on and we make UDFAs into 1st ballot Hall of Famers. It's only natural.

It would have been awesome if this 2016 team could have snuck into the last wildcard spot this year. But if you look back at many of the posts in the off-season, our multi-year weaknesses were well discussed: bad drafts, terrible FA signings, dead cap space, toxic team chemistry and Brees contract situation.

Certain steps had to be taken to make another SB run:

- 1st, SP had to get a team that reflected his character and personality. So he gutted a bunch of players. I think there's little question this team has fire, is scrappy and plays hard
- Had to get an O-line to be able to Protect Brees in his aging years and be able to run the ball. Besides yesterday's fiasco, we are still the #1 offense in the league and Ingram averages over 5 YPC
- We had to instill new coaching and better players on defense to at least make the defense mediocre. With a MASH unit of CBs, very little talent depth and no real disruptive defensive players, DA has done a respectable job with this team and for the 1st time in years, this defense has exciting promise
- Fix draft problems and bring in a bedrock of difference makers on defense. Rankins and Von Bell are future super-stars and some of our previous year draft picks looked really good before injury
- Sign Brees through 2017 without destroying future cap space. That was done perfectly
- Free up cap space to secure key FAs before 2017 season. That's done also
- And we picked up a future pro bowl WR in Thomas as a bonus

Admittedly, I've been tough on the Saints since 2014. Unfortunately I've been right more often that not. In that same view, I am really stoked about 2017 and maybe 2018 if Brees can stay healthy. Yes it's hard to get excited after a beat-down in our own Dome. But I don't think too many of us really expected a SB run this year.

Before we judge and sentence SP and Loomis to extinction, let's give it one more year. If 2017 is not much much better than 2014 - 2016, then we can scream for heads and those of you who believe this regime is doomed will be correct. But let's give them one more year.

Since all of Payton's trends seem to continue, then we can all expect a top 10 defense next season for a chance at the playoffs.

We as fans get stoked every offseason and beginning of every new season. We Homer's have our rosie colored glasses on and we make UDFAs into 1st ballot Hall of Famers. It's only natural.

It would have been awesome if this 2016 team could have snuck into the last wildcard spot this year. But if you look back at many of the posts in the off-season, our multi-year weaknesses were well discussed: bad drafts, terrible FA signings, dead cap space, toxic team chemistry and Brees contract situation.

Certain steps had to be taken to make another SB run:

- 1st, SP had to get a team that reflected his character and personality. So he gutted a bunch of players. I think there's little question this team has fire, is scrappy and plays hard
- Had to get an O-line to be able to Protect Brees in his aging years and be able to run the ball. Besides yesterday's fiasco, we are still the #1 offense in the league and Ingram averages over 5 YPC
- We had to instill new coaching and better players on defense to at least make the defense mediocre. With a MASH unit of CBs, very little talent depth and no real disruptive defensive players, DA has done a respectable job with this team and for the 1st time in years, this defense has exciting promise
- Fix draft problems and bring in a bedrock of difference makers on defense. Rankins and Von Bell are future super-stars and some of our previous year draft picks looked really good before injury
- Sign Brees through 2017 without destroying future cap space. That was done perfectly
- Free up cap space to secure key FAs before 2017 season. That's done also
- And we picked up a future pro bowl WR in Thomas as a bonus

Admittedly, I've been tough on the Saints since 2014. Unfortunately I've been right more often that not. In that same view, I am really stoked about 2017 and maybe 2018 if Brees can stay healthy. Yes it's hard to get excited after a beat-down in our own Dome. But I don't think too many of us really expected a SB run this year.

Before we judge and sentence SP and Loomis to extinction, let's give it one more year. If 2017 is not much much better than 2014 - 2016, then we can scream for heads and those of you who believe this regime is doomed will be correct. But let's give them one more year.
There isn't much choice is there?

The time for a clean break and prep for post-Brees was last year. Payton's re-upped now for 5 years and is riding fear of future unknown, fan bias toward offensive production and a muddled and transitioning ownership/org situation to job security.

If we have another similar year next year with even incremental improvement I think he gets still another year after that. Heck. Even 8-8 next year might keep him unless Payton himself decides to resign. Depends somewhat on how durable and effective Brees continues to be. I think Payton's future coaching fortunes here follow the arc of Brees' final years. He'll sink further or swim accordingly.

And with Benson getting more and more elderly and not quite there the organization hasn't shown who exactly in the new 'structure' will take the reigns to bring any accountability. That is a total unknown.

Inertia of status quo is likely to rule for a while longer...unless the wheels completely fall off.

There isn't much choice is there?

Time for a clean break and prep for post-Brees was last year. Payton's re-upped for 5 years and is riding fear of future unknown and fan bias toward offensive production.

If we have another similar year next year with even incremental improvement I think he gets still another year. Heck. Even 8-8 next year might keep him unless Payton himself decides to resign. Depends somewhat on how durable and effective Brees continues to be. I think Payton's future coaching fortunes here follow the arc of Brees final years.

And with Benson getting more and more elderly and not quite there the organization hasn't shown who exactly in the new 'structure' will take the reigns to bring any accountability.

Inertia of status quo is likely to rule for a while longer.

I hear you especially your points about post 2017 if we don't improve. Your point about Benson's age is spot-on. Many of us have been screaming about SP being the real GM and not having a professional GM with strong player personnel background. But let's give this 1 more year. there's too much that appears to be real promise.

After the third loss attributed to the refs, it wasn't our year. That wasn't the case yesterday, but I still agree.

Yep, lots of promise. Most of our defensive players will be better next year.

I agree that we need to give it one more year and that there is hope in 2017. But we are putting a lot of eggs in a one-year basket because after 2017 Brees will be 39 and some diminution in his physical ability should be expected.

The really need to hit homeruns in the draft and in free agency. I'm tired of high priced free agents that come here and never pan out. Tired of drafting players, especially on defense, that never amount to anything. Tired of no accountability on the coaching staff, and our woefully under-performing special teams coach getting yet another pass b/c our HC doesn't want to hurt his friend's feelings.

I had hopes for this year but I agree.
Excellent draft in 2016. The 25 mil should fill most of the holes. Shoot if be happy with FA resign of Fairly. Sign 2 or 3 out of 4 of RDE guard RT and CB in FA.

This team was built for a 2014 super bowl run, and we are still paying the price.

Just got back from the gym. Pete saw the game and here's what he had to say:

1) The reason we lost that game was because of our lines. Their d-line was clearly superior to our o-line and their o-line was clearly superior to our d-line
2) Brees never had a chance. They started hitting him and hitting him hard on the 1st series onward. It rattled him like it would any other QB in the game. He rarely had time to get comfortable in the pocket
3) since the Lions were able to get pressure on on Brees with their front 4, the Lions LBs and safeties were primed to shut down the dumps and screens.
4) As the season progresses and the weather turns up north, the teams with the dominant lines start to emerge as the playoff teams. The Saints are not one of those this year
5) He thought the defense played scrappy, but because the d-line could not get pressure on Stafford, we were forced to blitz and that's when they took us apart. In the NFl, if you give any QB time, they will pick you apart. And the d-line was on the field too long and tired
6) Our o-line is not very physical

Just got back from the gym. Pete saw the game and here's what he had to say:

1) The reason we lost that game was because of our lines. Their d-line was clearly superior to our o-line and their o-line was clearly superior to our d-line
2) Brees never had a chance. They started hitting him and hitting him hard on the 1st series onward. It rattled him like it would any other QB in the game. He rarely had time to get comfortable in the pocket
3) since the Lions were able to get pressure on on Brees with their front 4, the Lions LBs and safeties were primed to shut down the dumps and screens.
4) As the season progresses and the weather turns up north, the teams with the dominant lines start to emerge as the playoff teams. The Saints are not one of those this year
5) He thought the defense played scrappy, but because the d-line could not get pressure on Stafford, we were forced to blitz and that's when they took us apart. In the NFl, if you give any QB time, they will pick you apart. And the d-line was on the field too long and tired
6) Our o-line is not very physical
Long term trends for this program.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom