Chris Chamberlain (1 Viewer)

Sean

All-Pro
Reaction score
Now that Rob Ryan is officially our DC, do you guys think Chamberlain will still be with us next year, assuming he will be back to 100% after his rough injury in pre-season last year? I really liked him and was excited to see what he could do, but then he got cheap shoted against the Jags :aargh: I was looking forward to him being an under the radar guy that surprised us all, I hope he still has a spot on the team this year. I'm no defensive expert so I wanted to hear some opinions if he can fit in our new 3-4.

It wouldn't make sense to get rid of any of the free agents we signed last year. Lofton, Hawthorne, Chamberlain, and Bunkley were the biggest ones (and some of the most sought-after until we got them) we inked and they all missed time to injury IIRC. I think they all have a place in the lineup and would be disappointed to see them go for not performing well... especially if guys who have been around longer and performed just as poorly if not worse (Will Smith, Sedrick Ellis, et al) are retained.

They might see if he can play ILB in a 3-4, but I don't know if he fits

It wouldn't make sense to get rid of any of the free agents we signed last year. Lofton, Hawthorne, Chamberlain, and Bunkley were the biggest ones (and some of the most sought-after until we got them) we inked and they all missed time to injury IIRC. I think they all have a place in the lineup and would be disappointed to see them go for not performing well... especially if guys who have been around longer and performed just as poorly if not worse (Will Smith, Sedrick Ellis, et al) are retained.

I agree about the end part of your comment, sorry but those guys must go! But yeah I think Hawthorne, Bunk and Chamberlain deserve another chance this year, certaintly Lofton he was as solid as it gets. We didn't hear Bunkley's name alot but it seemed like he at least did his job for the most part last year. Hawthorne struggled with his injury most of the year but I know he can be a great player up there with Lofton when healthy. And of course like I said earlier I would like to see Chamberlain stay! He seems like a good guy to have in the locker room for cheap and is pretty good on special teams if I remember right.

With Ive seen from Chamberlain in the past I think he can backup one of the ILB spots. and even be a quality spot starter.

I like this player, but I do hope we cut the older players , we need youth that fits the scheme. and we need the cap space.

If my math is correct, his cap hit this season should be 1.45 million. Cutting him would cost 800k, so there's not much incentive to get rid of him. Hopefully he'll get a chance to contribute this season.

If my math is correct, his cap hit this season should be 1.45 million. Cutting him would cost 800k, so there's not much incentive to get rid of him. Hopefully he'll get a chance to contribute this season.

I'm not sure how it will work since he went on I.R. - most contracts these days have and I.R. salary so he probably still has most of this season guaranteed. He is probably here in 2013, but he is supposed to be a good ST player.

I don't think he fits very well in a 3-4, so maybe a backup SAM. He's not really the thumper you want on the inside, those guys have to fill gaps and make tackles.

I'm not sure how it will work since he went on I.R. - most contracts these days have and I.R. salary so he probably still has most of this season guaranteed. He is probably here in 2013, but he is supposed to be a good ST player.

I don't think he fits very well in a 3-4, so maybe a backup SAM. He's not really the thumper you want on the inside, those guys have to fill gaps and make tackles.

He would be a backup/ST person anyway. It would be cheaper to keep him than to get rid of him and sign someone else at this point unless we happen to take an ILB in later rounds of the draft.

Chamberlain was Spags guy from St. Louis. Financially it might not be smart to cut him, but I'd be surprised if he fits into Ryan's or Payton's plans at all.

Now that Rob Ryan is officially our DC, do you guys think Chamberlain will still be with us next year, assuming he will be back to 100% after his rough injury in pre-season last year? I really liked him and was excited to see what he could do, but then he got cheap shoted against the Jags :aargh: I was looking forward to him being an under the radar guy that surprised us all, I hope he still has a spot on the team this year. I'm no defensive expert so I wanted to hear some opinions if he can fit in our new 3-4.
Chamberlain who?

I agree with most, I think he will be moved inside and I see alot of players not resigned if they are not under contract or released because of tenure and high salary in favor of younger guys drafted or signed in free agency to provide depth or potential starters for the new scheme...I dont think the current players on the roster will be leaned on to fit the new scheme..I think we will see somewhat of an overhaul on defense to fit the 3-4.

Chamberlain is gunna play special teams like he was brought here for that is all unless we have to play him other than that special team talent!

I really like the guy, I hope he finds a fit but wouldn't be surprised to see him follow Spags.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom