Chris Hogan……total pro (1 Viewer)

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I think this will be the shocker signing of the season.
A little on Hogan, he helped me tremendously in fantasy football as one of those late season free agent additions.
I instantly became a fan…..and some thoughts.

He’s really tough. Had a decent few years in Buffalo from 12-14, a team with no QB and little passing offense.
After some big games vs NE, Belichek signed him in 2015.
That alone tells me he’s got”it”….if Brady and Beli wanted him.
Three great years in NE, Super Bowls, huge catches….
Signs for $ in Caro…..another poor passing offense. To the NYJ, an even worse offensive situation.
Basically when he’s with a coach, QB, a good system, he’s proven big time.
His attributes are so solid, very fast, great route runner, kind of a thicker stronger guy. These guys are who you want on 3rd down.
But he’s a straight out deep threat too as you’ll see below.
He’s great on underneath crossers, catches and runs well, and is tough in traffic.
I think Hogan in our offense, with a strong armed QB, this could quietly be a match made in heaven.
And he’s only 32, he’s not old. And he’s got a lot of routes where he either found the holes in zones, or he’s smoking his man.
I really think this will be a huge factor in our offense this year…..
Then to hear he really stood out today …..we might have something here.

Hogan signing reminds me of the David Patten signing in ‘07, similar reliable receivers and similar backgrounds.

With the right amount of targets, assuming he remains on the roster for the entire season, I can see Hogan catching 35-55 recs and 500-700 yards with the Saints this year. He’ll have a lot of opportunities to be a consistent target, while MT is out and the other WRs usually missing a few games from injuries.

Came across this article mentioning Hogan’s 40 yard dash at his pro day back in 2011:

“He was not invited to the NFL Combine, but he showed out for his Pro Day, where he ran a 40-Yard Dash in 4.40, had a vertical jump of 36-½ inches and bench pressed 225 pounds 28 times. In the video below, Hogan runs a 4.39 40-Yard Dash while training with Joe DeFranco.”

A sub 4.40!? :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops: He’s a polished route runner, plus really fast. A lot of people were underwhelmed at hearing Hogan was the WR that the Saints signed, maybe because of his name or the teams he played for. But he might end up being the best 2021 FA signing by playing in Sean Payton’s system, while our WR core is uncertain, given it costed next to nothing to pick him up.

32 is old for an NFL player. NEs track record with WRs has been awful (unless you’re a 5’9” white guy or the most talented WR to ever play). But he seems like a good hardworking dude...so I’m rooting for him.
Well stated.
But if you dig a little…..his “meh” years were with poor offensive teams, poor QB play, etc.
There wasn’t other WR having any stats on those teams either.

But, in a good system, he’s big time proven.

Can’t blame him for leaving NE for the payday, but Caro was awful that season.

I mostly like how many times he’s open on deep fly routes. That’s got to mean something.

Hes got a dependable/ unremarkable game. Vets like him, especially ones trying to stay in the game. Tend to stand out in the early portions of camp and tebd to plateau. Younger more talented guys stand out more once un the groove

Hes got a dependable/ unremarkable game. Vets like him, especially ones trying to stay in the game. Tend to stand out in the early portions of camp and tebd to plateau. Younger more talented guys stand out more once un the groove
What he does is give a true veterans presence in camp with his work ethic and dependability, along with understanding route concepts, etc. Guys will learn from that and he can help until Mike T gets back on the field.

The signing is getting more comfortable, personally feel he has the ability to learn the playbook a lot faster than most. He will be a dependable possession receiver and a lowkey leader. I'm rooting for him.

1. Thomas (PUP)
2. TQS
3. Calloway
4. Harris
5. LJH
6. Baker

He may make the squad because Thomas will be on the PUP list and his veteran presence may help the unit, if that's the plan.

I see possession receiver…..he ca be that, but he can take the top off too.

The guy is out fastest receiver not named Deonte.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom