Chris Ivory Scouting Report (1 Viewer)

We already have over 8 million invested in Sproles PT and Ingram. I can't see us adding another 2 million for a 4th string RB and there's no way someone is going to give us a 2nd round pick for a 4th string RB that's injured more than he's healthy.

We already have over 8 million invested in Sproles PT and Ingram. I can't see us adding another 2 million for a 4th string RB and there's no way someone is going to give us a 2nd round pick for a 4th string RB that's injured more than he's healthy.

I pretty much agree.

It seems running backs really are "dime-a-dozen" nowadays and as much as it would suck to lose him without compensation when we really could use it, it may just happen.

This is why I'm not a GM. There are a lot of teams that really need a running back and paying a couple million a year for one isn't that bad (it's just that we already do that for three others)and I doubt it happens with Ivory's injury history.

Arizona
Chicago
Green Bay
Atlanta
St. Louis (depends on Jackson)
NYJ
Miami (depends on Bush)
Dallas
Detroit
Oakland
San Diego
Indianapolis

Ivory, when healthy, is better than most of these teams starting backs, and definitely better than their #2.

I would hate to see Ivory go. I love his running style. That said....if we get compensated for him I could see us trading him. Ingram coming on late in the year kinda made it tough to keep Ivory. Also....I personally want to see him play ball somewhere and not waste his career away on the bench. Just hope it isn't with the falcons.

For a Chris Ivory scouting report, go back and watch him bowl over the Falcons DB (Samuel I think) on that long run last year.

I think the Saints will keep him with the RFA process. He can hold out all he wants, but with 4 other RBs (counting Cadet), the fines and lack of pay will hurt him more than it hurts the team.

He needs to show that he can stay healthy for more than 4 games. If he does that, he can really cash in next year.

Correct me if im wrong but a tender much like the Franchise Tag only holds true until a long term deal is worked out right?

With that being said....id tender Ivory with a 1st to keep unwanted people (like the falcons..sorry) away.

Come to an agreement with a team and do a sign and trade for less compensation

Thats if my understanding of the rules are correct. If not then yeah a 2nd round tender it is.

Either way...i think a 5th running back creates a log jam as far as carries go. So since Ivory is already a restricted FA he seems like our best option to get an extra pick in this years draft.

This RBBC system needs to end. I don't care who leaves...but sometime does. I think I might must blow a gasket if the Saints pay $2 million to Ivory. The Saints have absolutely no money. To disagree tells me that you haven't crunched the numbers. Even with all the expected cuts...the Saints will have a tough time getting much more than low priced free agents.

This is what happens when you spend a fifth of the cap on one player.

Dear Heavenly Father, please PLEASE dont let Chris Ivory be a failclown next year. Anywhere but there! or Dallas. Amen

True, here are the new tender levels

2013 Restricted Free Agent tenders:

Level 1: 1,323,000 $ (ROFR, Right Of First Refusal))
Level 2: 1,323,000 $ or 110% of 2012 salary (Original Round Pick)
Level 3: 2,023,088 $ or 110% of 2012 salary (Second Round Pick)
Level 4: 2,878,628 $ or 110% of 2012 salary (First Round Pick)

We could tender a right of 1st refusal, but with our cap problems an offer could be made that makes it hard to match.

Thanks for the information. Judging by the salaries of the other RB's there is no way we put a 2nd or 1st round tender on him. He'd over double his salary at the lowest tender. He was undrafted, so there is no original round compensation.

In 2012 this is what they made (salary only).

Ivory - 540k
Ingram - 712k
Thomas - 2.2M (he got a roster bonus though, but not counting it)
Sproles - 2.4M

In 2013 these are the projected numbers.
Ivory - depends on Tender.. 1.3M - 2.8M
Ingram - 1M
Thomas - 2.1M
Sproles - 2.9M

So, based on that, I can't see them paying Ivory 2.8M. He'd be the second highest paid guy and the 4th RB on the team. A 2nd round tender is slightly plausible, but again, doubtful.

I pretty much agree.

It seems running backs really are "dime-a-dozen" nowadays and as much as it would suck to lose him without compensation when we really could use it, it may just happen.

This is why I'm not a GM. There are a lot of teams that really need a running back and paying a couple million a year for one isn't that bad (it's just that we already do that for three others)and I doubt it happens with Ivory's injury history.

Arizona
Chicago
Green Bay
Atlanta
St. Louis
NYJ (depends on Jackson)
Miami (depends on Bush)
Dallas
Detroit
Oakland
San Diego
Indianapolis

Ivory, when healthy, is better than all of these teams starting backs.

My take on your take.

:ezbill:

Arizona- Ryan Wilson is a pretty talented back with the same injury problem. Beanie Wells has not fared well in the NFL, and seems poised to be somewhere else anyway.
Chicago- I'd take Forte over Ivory. Way more versatility.
Green Bay- Completely agree.
Atlanta- Agree.
St. Louis- Steven Jackson surprisingly has some left in the tank.
NYJ (depends on Jackson)- Agree, but to which Jackson are you referring?
Miami (depends on Bush)-Agree, but he is building a Packers South team, so he doesn't want a competent runner. I am interested to see what Lamar Miller can do.
Dallas- No one can stay healthy there, but Murray is real good.
Detroit- Agreed.
Oakland- McFadden is better, but again never healthy.
San Diego- Who really knows. Matthews is such an enigma
Indianapolis- I like Vic Ballard, but Ivory is more explosive.

If we don't put a 2nd round tender on him... it's a mistake.

My take on your take.
:ezbill:
Arizona- Ryan Wilson is a pretty talented back with the same injury problem. Beanie Wells has not fared well in the NFL, and seems poised to be somewhere else anyway.
Chicago- I'd take Forte over Ivory. Way more versatility.
Green Bay- Completely agree.
Atlanta- Agree.
St. Louis- Steven Jackson surprisingly has some left in the tank.
NYJ (depends on Jackson)- Agree, but to which Jackson are you referring?
Miami (depends on Bush)-Agree, but he is building a Packers South team, so he doesn't want a competent runner. I am interested to see what Lamar Miller can do.
Dallas- No one can stay healthy there, but Murray is real good.
Detroit- Agreed.
Oakland- McFadden is better, but again never healthy.
San Diego- Who really knows. Matthews is such an enigma
Indianapolis- I like Vic Ballard, but Ivory is more explosive.

I meant to have Jackson next to St. Louis. He's a FA as well.

Didn't mean that he was necessarily better than Forte. I shouldn't have made such a blanket statement. He is a better backup than Michael Bush though.

The thing is with the teams that I listed...none of them have a competent second back in the stable, so if he isn't better than their starter, he is surely better than their backup.

I'm not an advocate of getting rid of Ivory at all. Obviously, by how comparably good he is compared to nearly half of the league, and I would love to see him back, but it's going to come down to a numbers game with him.

This RBBC system needs to end. I don't care who leaves...but sometime does. I think I might must blow a gasket if the Saints pay $2 million to Ivory. The Saints have absolutely no money. To disagree tells me that you haven't crunched the numbers. Even with all the expected cuts...the Saints will have a tough time getting much more than low priced free agents.

This is what happens when you spend a fifth of the cap on one player.

Nit pick, but Drew would only count approx one seventh of our total cap. (17.4M)

If Will Smith isn't cut or restructured, he'd count one eight of our total cap. (14.5M)

Eli Manning is going to cost the Giants 21M against the cap in 2013. Brady will cost 22M. Rivers costs 17M. Stafford costs 21M. Peyton Manning costs 20M. Rogers only costs 9.7M, but he's getting a new contract soon. Sanchez will cost 13M.

Get the point? A good QB is expensive. And not even all expensive QB's are good. Unless you get lucky in the draft, you're always going to pay for a top 5-10 signal caller.

We have a top 3 QB in the NFL and he is about the 5th or 6th most expensive, against the cap. Not bad.

I meant to have Jackson next to St. Louis. He's a FA as well.

Didn't mean that he was necessarily better than Forte. I shouldn't have made such a blanket statement. He is a better backup than Michael Bush though.

The thing is with the teams that I listed...none of them have a competent second back in the stable, so if he isn't better than their starter, he is surely better than their backup.

Understood. And never apologize for blanket statements. Every single person in the world who has or will ever live makes them.

.:ahem:.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom