Christian McCaffery is getting paid. (1 Viewer)

He's their top attraction (and best player) as they try to rebuild. Smart move.

AK/Saints have two options:

We can try and pay him this year;

or we can wait till next season and risk AK outperforming CMC where he will then ask for even more $ and Saints will have to make a choice: pay him or let him go. This scenario also puts AK at risk as he can get hurt and lose value so he's probably inclined in wanting to get a deal done this year.

Obviously the Saints have to make a choice now technically, and it'll start with asking how much do we value a running back to Payton's offense.

All I will say is if we decide to ultimately let AK walk because "we always find flex backs with this offense", just remember the Cadet years.

Given Payton’s history with drafting and signing FA Running Backs I don’t think we have anything to worry about should we let AK go. I mean AK was a 3rd RD pick who couldn’t start for Bama and shared time at Tennessee. Payton has a great eye for RB’s, just wish he knew LB’s as well.

Given Payton’s history with drafting and signing FA Running Backs I don’t think we have anything to worry about should we let AK go. I mean AK was a 3rd RD pick who couldn’t start for Bama and shared time at Tennessee. Payton has a great eye for RB’s, just wish he knew LB’s as well.
Amen.

If Kamara puts up numbers and highlights he did his first 2 years (and knew for a fact that he would for the next 4 years) would he be worth it?

Or is that too much for any RB no matter the stats?

Good Q and too much for any RB imo.
But I also think 17 mil is too much for a WR.

He's their top attraction (and best player) as they try to rebuild. Smart move.

AK/Saints have two options:

We can try and pay him this year;

or we can wait till next season and risk AK outperforming CMC where he will then ask for even more $ and Saints will have to make a choice: pay him or let him go. This scenario also puts AK at risk as he can get hurt and lose value so he's probably inclined in wanting to get a deal done this year.

Obviously the Saints have to make a choice now technically, and it'll start with asking how much do we value a running back to Payton's offense.

All I will say is if we decide to ultimately let AK walk because "we always find flex backs with this offense", just remember the Cadet years.

I say let it all hang out -- AK owes HIMSELF a better season than last year anyway, not to mention the team. Granted, injuries happen to the best of 'em on the football field. But it's Drew's final season and we might as well hold him to the fire, as great a weapon as he is when truly 100 percent. Make him perform for that contract as we did with Eli Apple (you can see how well that turned out for all parties!)

Would be quite telling if they did indeed draft a Boston Scott-type player in a late round of the draft. Or, at least someone closer to AK's skills and not another marginal Cadet type.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom