Christmas idea... Kindle or iPad? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
My wife has been into reading alot lately and even is trying to get me to get into it. I guess so we can be the couple like on TV that reads in bed? *** ever. Anyway, I was looking at the Kindle vs iPads. The Kindle is ridiculously more affordable, but the iPad can do a good bit more (at a cost for everything though).

I never seen a Kindle in person. Is it worth it? They are only $139 and the books are very affordable. The refurb iPad is $449.

My wife has been into reading alot lately and even is trying to get me to get into it. I guess so we can be the couple like on TV that reads in bed? *** ever. Anyway, I was looking at the Kindle vs iPads. The Kindle is ridiculously more affordable, but the iPad can do a good bit more (at a cost for everything though).

I never seen a Kindle in person. Is it worth it? They are only $139 and the books are very affordable. The refurb iPad is $449.

Get a Kindle if it is just for reading. If you want the multi-media (surfing, gaming, movie watching device), get the iPad. You just have to ask yourself what you want.

It's for my wife. I don't sit and read. (self diagnosed ADD :p) Only thing is that it is B/W, which doesn't look too appealing. I guess books being B/W really makes this void? LOL

If it's primarily for reading, do what Seba said, get the Kindle. Keep in mind that the screen is not backlit, but it looks awesome for reading. It is an understatement to say that the iPad does a bit more. It does a hell of a lot more, but, as you said, you'll pay for it.

I don't have an Ipad, but I do have a kindle. I bought it almost two years ago I think and it is still one of my favorite purchases. If your wife loves to read alot she will love the kindle. Just my 2 cents.

I want a Kindle myself.

Don't worry about it not being lit - I think maybe the new ones are. But the surface of it is what makes it appealing. It really is like looking at the page of a book so you don't get the eye-strain of a computer or iPad or other device. Plus if reading in the sun, there's no glare. They make a little attachment light for it for reading in the dark, like for a book.

My iPad was supposed to come today, but the snow screwed me over & they called to say it wasn't getting delivered today. :angryrazz:

:Glasgowned:

Every year it snows here, but every year you'd think we'd never seen snow before because this crap hole country comes to a stand still. It's not like we had all year to prepare for it or anything! It's just frozen water! It's madness.

Well -- the kindle is a great gift -- the Ipad has more functions so its really up to the use --

But if you do get the kindle get the 189 dollar version -- it has free wi-fi internally so you can download books almost anywhere -- if you get the 139 dollar version then you either need to be in a free hotspot or connected -- believe me the extra 50 bucks is well worth it for the free wireless downloads

I've owned the Kindle, but I swapped it for an iPad. The iPad is MUCH more versatile. Until I got it, I never thought I'd use it as much as I do, and that's just being at home. For traveling, its a godsend.

For reading, I prefer the backlit screen of the iPad over the Kindle. The text is clear & easy to read on the Kindle, but again, the iPad is more versatile, letting you read in landscape or portrait view, and not needing an external light source to read in the dark.

Its worthless outside, though. If you have any desire to read outdoors, the iPad won't help you.

You could also compare the color Nook to the iPad which is a closer comparison for features and at a lesser price. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/index.asp

For e-ink readers you should compare the Kindle to the Nook http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp?PID=35699. Just realize that the Kindle uses Amazon's proprietary book format where the Nook is more universal, though there are ways around it.

I just got a Nook for my birthday and I like it a lot for just reading novels. I have a clip on lamp for night reading before bed which does the trick pretty well.

I went with the 3G Kindle after reading all the reviews.

Thanks

I'm an iPad owner and a self professed Apple fanboi. If this is for your wife, and she loves to read, get her the Kindle. She'll love it and you'll save money. The iPad is great and its flashy, but it sounds like the only reason you are considering it is because it's flashy. If you get the iPad you will want to play with it a lot and she'll want to read, just get the Kindle, people who own one, and read a lot, love it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom