Christmas present help (1 Viewer)

Also I now have the belief that "non stick" stuff is toxic.

As a real cook, I can assure you Magnalite are the best pots. Expensive, but worth every cent.

I say go single use. No mess and no clean up. Also, like Ted Ginn. ?

On a side note, if Jared cook keeps dropping passes, I'm going to start calling him Pam.

take a look at pioneer woman; I’ve bought my wife several items and they are nice quality

All Clad is famous for their stainless steel. I have a nice set. But it’s not in the least bit non-stick. Protein sticks like crazy. It’s an expensive brand. I don’t know if they sell non stick now but I’m not sure I would pay their prices for that.

Le Creuset is crazy expensive and it is NOT non-stick. It’s ceramic coated cast iron. Lots of stuff sticks to it although it’s easy to clean. It’s good stuff but probably not what your wife is really looking for.

Black anodized pans are the non-stick you want to look for these days. This is not the thinly applied toxic coating that gave non-stick pans a bad rep in the past by flaking off after repeated use. Brands like Calphalon and others sell black anodized and I like them. They are not dishwasher safe and not perfect for everything. They can be scratched. I can’t fry good bacon in my black anodized skillet for some reason. It burns. Don’t know why. But for most things like eggs and sautéing veggies they are excellent.

Look for pans that have good rivets at the handles. I believe skillets should have three rivets but I’m not sure about that. The pans should be fairly heavy and the handles should be comfortable when lifting. Buy popular brands at Macy’s or Bed Bath and Beyond. Don’t buy cheap stuff at Walmart.

Oh, but if you have lots of money and want sex, buy her anything with Le Creuset’s name on it, regardless of whether she has a use for it. Go for the red color.

Last edited:
I'd go with a mix of cast iron and stainless steel with one, maybe 2 non-stick skillets. The cast iron and SS take maintenance, but will last a lifetime and do their job really well. They hold heat, brown things evenly, can toss them in the oven, and they don't get ruined by utensils or years of use. A non-stick is great for things like frying or scrambling eggs, but I don't think it should be a 1 pan does it all kind of thing.

My wife really wants some non-stick frying pans.

Anyone have any experience? Here's what I'm looking at:
- La Creuset
- All Clad
- Ted Ginn's hands

Thanks in advance.

I have always been told that non-stick pans are all the same and disposable. Of course, I didn't listen. I've gone through 2 All Clad 10" and 1 12" over the past 6 or 7 years. One of my good friends gave me a scanpan last year after cooking with me at the house and watching stuff stick to my 250$ non-stick and I've used it ever since. But it's starting to lose its slipperiness.

So, my vote is Ted Ginn's hands.

Don't you just hate to choose gifts? Here's how I get out of it: I buy her a new car every 3-4 years in early November. I tell her "this is your Christmas and birthday presents for 3-4 years". She's very happy to say OK to that. Sucker that I am, I still get her other gifts, but it might work for you.

Here's an idea, get your wife a nicely framed blowup of your avatar.

None of 'em work in a microwave, so why bother?

I hear that some $2,000 bike (+ $39/mo streaming fee) that doesn't actually take you anywhere, while a stranger is shouting at you, is the hot gift this holiday season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom