cincinnati-bengals-reportedly-listening-to-trade-offers-from-multiple-teams-on-no-1-pick (2 Viewers)

You'll get shade for suggesting taking someone other than Burrow, but CY is likely the safer pick.

Hypothetical question: If you are the Bengals, sat on mountains of cap room, would you be willing to trade down with Chicago, if it gets you Khalil Mack as part of the deal? Is Mack at this stage better than Chase Young will be?

Of course, no one has used a player for pick trade to get the no. 1 spot for something like 29 years, so it's not happening, but as I say, hypothetical.

In all honesty, I think you'd take Young over Mack, but not sure.

Not a chance.

And I say this honestly as a former fan of Vernon Gholston who looked every bit as much of a sure thing from Ohio St. Once upon a time.

Young looks every bit of a sure thing as there is in the draft but you never really know until they take an NFL field.

Neither Bosa brother is even as good as Mack.

I would take Young over a slew of lower rounders as trade bait, sure.

Over arguably the best pass rusher in the NFL now? Never.

Not a chance.

And I say this honestly as a former fan of Vernon Gholston who looked every bit as much of a sure thing from Ohio St. Once upon a time.

Young looks every bit of a sure thing as there is in the draft but you never really know until they take an NFL field.

Neither Bosa brother is even as good as Mack.

I would take Young over a slew of lower rounders as trade bait, sure.

Over arguably the best pass rusher in the NFL now? Never.
Thanks, I was interested in the Young-Mack value comp and you delivered ?

My problem with Burrow is, he could be Tom Brady or he could be another college QB with gaudy stats that doesn't pan out. And this is the case with most rookie QBs, but you've seen a guy with 2 completely opposite seasons as a starter. I think he showed enough this past season through leadership, extending plays, accuracy etc to where you have to lean to him being a franchise QB and you have to take him #1. But, "system qb" is going to be the question on Burrow - 2 years ago he was a middle of the pack SEC starter. Then he has probably the greatest season in the history of CFB. The change? Joe Brady. The best situation for Burrow might for Carolina to trade for him - and Carolina has the draft positioning to make it happen.

Last thing we need is a elite level QB in our division for 10+ years. But for Burrow its situationally the best landing spot. Joe Brady is the OC and you have an elite RB as a check down.
That's not entirely accurate though. I wasn't sold on Burrow year one either, BUT, the fact that he transferred after spring ball, pretty late in the process, and had very little time to learn the playbook and develop timing and chemistry with the WR's, TE's, and RB's (and O-line).... in the NFL professional veterans who have been in multiple systems might be able to do this much quicker, but that's a tough task for any college athlete. Now when he had a month between the end of that first season and the UCF bowl game, he came back looking like a different QB.

All that said, he never looked inaccurate in that first year with LSU, always displayed toughness and grit, and looked like a world beater when his WR's didn't drop the ball. They (Chase, Marshall, Jefferson) had a 10,000 catch offseason with some pretty awesome drills Joe Brady brought over (not sure if you saw that video, it was glorious). All the sudden, these guys catch consistently and Joe Burrow looks "more accurate". I don't believe accuracy is something that improves leaps and bounds between one year and the next. A few throws in a game due to improper body mechanics & pressure are obvious to any coach. But the kind of "jump" Burrow's accuracy had, IMO, was much more to do with young WR's who worked their butts off to become professional and be in the right spot at the right time consistently.

Both years, he displayed the ability to process information quickly, work "like a coach" or a professional adult, and great leadership. That kind of work ethic is something developed over a lifetime, the ability to process quickly a Sean Payton offense and make the correct decisions with accuracy, while being a first class leader - those or qualities someone is either born with or not, and if you find a QB with that, you do what it takes to get him on your team, because they're aren't 10 playing in the NFL at any given time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom