City policy on notification of street closure? (1 Viewer)

Brennan77

Dubious
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a city law or policy on notification of parking restrictions due to construction? I live in the Irish Channel. Last week they tore down the long abandoned HANO property across the street. I'm happy for that. However, they towed my car as I was out of town on vacation and had no notice prior to leaving that this was happening.

I called the project manager and their best guess is that my car is with the city. They were not apologetic and were extremely defensive. Surely there is some policy that dictates a grace period of notification so residents can prepare for changes in their parking habits. If not, I think I will get on it to our city council.
Any help would be appreciated.

I believe it is 24 or 48 hours.

Got the opposite here. Last Monday mid day they came through posting any cars on the street at 6AM on weekdays starting Tuesday would be towed and impounded at owner expense, cleverly marking the end date on the sign with "When DONE" or "When PAVED". Since then no work has been done within a quarter mile. Sometime on Thursday after a neighbor complained they put up a snotty note about doing work when they felt like it and they might be done by end of September, but there are no guarantees. The thing is, I wouldn't have minded the early notice saying they aren't going to be doing our block for two weeks, or even pad it by a few days, but to make several blocks of people crowd up the next street over for two weeks for nothing is just ridiculous.

The sudden tow is more expensive, not arguing that it's worse. Still, doubling the hassle time of too many cars on one block is pretty weak sauce too.

I believe it is 24 or 48 hours.
Whatever the legal amount of time that a car can be parked without moving ought to be the amount of time given as notice. This would account for any and all legal parking and would accommodate a situation like mine in a legal and fair way.

I'm coughing up $290 to pay for towing and tickets for being legally parked in front of my own house. I cannot tell you the love I have for this city right now. I'm half way seriously thinking of looking at moving. I'm absolutely sick of the contempt with which citizens are treated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

When I had my chance to get out of Orleans Parish, I took the opportunity.

Hope you find one that's not contemptuous. When Bellevue, WA first over-approved all the skyscrapers 10 years ago or so, there was no parking anywhere for the existing buildings, so the made all the street parking 2 hour. Then when people would move their cars, they passed a new ordinance that you could still be ticketed if you parked on the same street going the same way. Then that wasn't enough revenue, so they made it so that if you parked anywhere within 2 blocks of where the meter maid recorded you legally parked, s/he could ticket you anyway. I'm not sure if they ever repealed them once all the parking garages underneath all the skyscrapers got finished.

Years back, even in my little town one of the down and across neighbors got ticketed for blocking their own driveway. When they argued that they live there: "Too bad, pay up."

I'm still unclear on what the city code is for these things. The closest analogy I can find seems to be the film industry, which only requires a 24 hour notice.

That said, I'm told the policy of normal, operable cars to be considered abandoned is 3 weeks without being moved. At 2 weeks they are supposed to mark your tire. At 3 weeks, they can ticket and tow it. So there's nothing we did that was illegal. There should have been no problem with parking my car legally in front of our home for 9 days. The problem was just bad timing. We had no prior notice that there was any project planned much less any impediment to normal parking patterns.

It's frustrating but I think we will start by simply disputing the ticket and seeing where that gets us. If I find there is no ordinance dictating notice that takes into account legal intervals of parking, I will contact our city council representative to request it be addressed.

Thought you might appreciate this caught red handed scam from Seattle that made the reddit front page. A little over an hour and cha-ching for the cops and tow companies.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/TvuaE"><a href="//imgur.com/TvuaE">Surprise! A temporary no-parking sign pops up and cars get ticketed + towed within two hours.</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seattle/comments/540pge/surprise_a_temporary_noparking_sign_pops_up_and/

I have heard of others having this exact same problem. You should contest and raise hell.

Not my area, just on reddit. Someone did, and the city not only agreed to pay for all expenses but opened an investigation into the construction firm, but only because it was caught on camera and getting public attention of course.

I'm still unclear on what the city code is for these things. The closest analogy I can find seems to be the film industry, which only requires a 24 hour notice.

That said, I'm told the policy of normal, operable cars to be considered abandoned is 3 weeks without being moved. At 2 weeks they are supposed to mark your tire. At 3 weeks, they can ticket and tow it. So there's nothing we did that was illegal. There should have been no problem with parking my car legally in front of our home for 9 days. The problem was just bad timing. We had no prior notice that there was any project planned much less any impediment to normal parking patterns.

It's frustrating but I think we will start by simply disputing the ticket and seeing where that gets us. If I find there is no ordinance dictating notice that takes into account legal intervals of parking, I will contact our city council representative to request it be addressed.

I called city hall a few months ago to report an abandoned car. I was told that a car can actually be reported after only 24 hours. They would still do the tire marking, etc.

I called city hall a few months ago to report an abandoned car. I was told that a car can actually be reported after only 24 hours. They would still do the tire marking, etc.
I just got another ticket notice in the mail to add insult to injury. So that's two tickets and the tow cost. I can't afford to risk being towed again. I paid them but I will write a letter to my city councilman. The city has had this building abandoned for over 2 decades and then they ticket and tow me within 4 days when they finally decide to tear it down without previously notifying the residents.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom