City with fastest growing crime rate: Monroe, LA (1 Viewer)

There is no doubt the crime is bad but my guess is the rise in rate is just catching up with other cities. I remember ten or more years ago, a survey that said that Richwood (just outside Monroe) was one of the top ten poverty areas in the nation. Yet most of the crime I remember when I was up there were non violent (first fights at bars were common) with no relief from poverty the harder drugs and crime had to follow

Law abiding citizens carrying protection are partly the reason for the increased crime rate?

We should immediately begin arresting all the protection carrying and law abiding citizens so we can once again live in a safe city. The gang units should be retrained and put on the Law Abiding Citizen Reduction Task Force. We have to do something now!

The DB who shot up 3 women over here last week had guns for protection. So did that clown in SFL a few years ago.

It's our right and I carry at times, but the more guns we have the more likely we are to have people dead when the guy with the gun for protection has a psychotic break or perceives himself to be in danger when he's not.

Heck, just a couple of weeks ago a guy at my little neighborhood beer joint got drunk and managed to pull a gun on his wife and brother when they told him he needed to uber.

He's going to jail I hope.

Probably has nothing to do with poverty and Louisiana's lack of investment in social programs and education.
But let's get more police on the street to further increase the highest prison population in the world.

Can you provide information on how we spend less per capita/student on education and social programs. My quick search shows we spend more per student on education than every other southern state as well as most western states.

The DB who shot up 3 women over here last week had guns for protection. So did that clown in SFL a few years ago.

It's our right and I carry at times, but the more guns we have the more likely we are to have people dead when the guy with the gun for protection has a psychotic break or perceives himself to be in danger when he's not.

Heck, just a couple of weeks ago a guy at my little neighborhood beer joint got drunk and managed to pull a gun on his wife and brother when they told him he needed to uber.

He's going to jail I hope.

Yes, in the cities listed, get gunned down by a law abiding citizen is at the top of the violent crimes to be concerned about. You got me.

Monroe had 27 murders in a single year? That's insane. I live in a town 50% bigger than Monroe that hasn't had that many murders in the 21st century.

Can you provide information on how we spend less per capita/student on education and social programs. My quick search shows we spend more per student on education than every other southern state as well as most western states.

Middle men. Your tax dollars are being wasted by incompetent wannabe educators, who vote themselves opportunities to duplicate services in the name of "free market competition." (see Recovery or Achievement School Districts)

Instead of democratically-elected, minimum- to non-paid school board members, charter schools are run by (whoever) with (whatever) talents and agendas they may desire. Some may be great people or have great skills or total dirtbags, but there is no accountability for them to do what's best for the children in their charge. They are profit-driven, without the checks and balances taxpayers deserve. We are handing over our children's education, that limited 12 or so years, to people who (whatever.) Wait, not our children. Other people's children.

The politicians we elect (BESE and the majority of legislators - though many I believe don't even read what they sign) work to weaken the teacher certification process, weaken curriculum, pit rich against poor districts (test scores are grounded in poverty), waste precious time and an ungodly amount of tax money on tests that only measure poverty, vilify teachers and disrupt our public schools as much as humanly possible.

Create a problem, sell a solution. This is the free-market disruption that is sucking up your dollars.

"Be careful what you wish for." :jpshakehead:

Edited for formatting: Pages 17 and 3 from LDOE Budget FY 2016 Proposed

Attachments

• srmfp.JPG
    srmfp.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 12
  • srmfp2.JPG
    srmfp2.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 13
Middle men. Your tax dollars are being wasted by incompetent wannabe educators, who vote themselves opportunities to duplicate services in the name of "free market competition." (see Recovery or Achievement School Districts)

Instead of democratically-elected, minimum- to non-paid school board members, charter schools are run by (whoever) with (whatever) talents and agendas they may desire. Some may be great people or have great skills or total dirtbags, but there is no accountability for them to do what's best for the children in their charge. They are profit-driven, without the checks and balances taxpayers deserve. We are handing over our children's education, that limited 12 or so years, to people who (whatever.) Wait, not our children. Other people's children.

The politicians we elect (BESE and the majority of legislators - though many I believe don't even read what they sign) work to weaken the teacher certification process, weaken curriculum, pit rich against poor districts (test scores are grounded in poverty), waste precious time and an ungodly amount of tax money on tests that only measure poverty, vilify teachers and disrupt our public schools as much as humanly possible.

Create a problem, sell a solution. This is the free-market disruption that is sucking up your dollars.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gOJiayZoNDI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh, yeah, what an awesome way to spend your childhood. Rote memorization and recitation is just the ticket if you're trying to crank out worker bees for your factory, who never question - anything. Like why they don't have fields, or a football team, or any fun at all. I actually had to google that to make sure it wasn't a parody/spoof.

And I think I found why Lafayette schools are so broke - they're having to give away almost a million dollars a month to the charter schools that set up camp in their district. Some of that money may be for NOCCA-type regional schools, but still. Per month. Look up how much money charters are taking from your neighborhood school here: (Click on one of the 2A-2 reports, then scroll down to the bottom for the total.) Yes, the Virtual Charter school gets $7000 of your district's money per student, even though it&#8217;s a virtual school. Cha-ching!

Minimum Foundation Program

And what of those millions going to charters every month? Compare the line items. A random KIPP school in N.O. is spending $350,000 per year on "management services" in addition to the school office staff , but then Southwest Charter (741 students) has them beat with $1.3 Million for "management services" AND $270K for "staff recruitment and marketing." Your tax dollars are being spent on marketing. And for that school of 741 kids, $246,091 was spent on textbooks and workbooks. Does that sound right to you?

Each one I looked up was different and interesting in its own way. For example, Northshore Charter (543 students) spent $286, 943 on "water/sewage" costs last year. Wild.

To look up individual Charter School budgets, go here: Budgets - Plans

Oh, yeah, what an awesome way to spend your childhood. Rote memorization and recitation is just the ticket if you're trying to crank out worker bees for your factory, who never question - anything. Like why they don't have fields, or a football team, or any fun at all. I actually had to google that to make sure it wasn't a parody/spoof.

And I think I found why Lafayette schools are so broke - they're having to give away almost a million dollars a month to the charter schools that set up camp in their district. Some of that money may be for NOCCA-type regional schools, but still. Per month. Look up how much money charters are taking from your neighborhood school here: (Click on one of the 2A-2 reports, then scroll down to the bottom for the total.) Yes, the Virtual Charter school gets $7000 of your district's money per student, even though it’s a virtual school. Cha-ching!

Minimum Foundation Program

And what of those millions going to charters every month? Compare the line items. A random KIPP school in N.O. is spending $350,000 per year on "management services" in addition to the school office staff , but then Southwest Charter (741 students) has them beat with $1.3 Million for "management services" AND $270K for "staff recruitment and marketing." Your tax dollars are being spent on marketing. And for that school of 741 kids, $246,091 was spent on textbooks and workbooks. Does that sound right to you?

Each one I looked up was different and interesting in its own way. For example, Northshore Charter (543 students) spent $286, 943 on "water/sewage" costs last year. Wild.

To look up individual Charter School budgets, go here: Budgets - Plans

They don't have athletics. So you may give up sports but if it offers an alternative to inner city public schools it can become quite attractive for parents wanting their children to get a good education without breaking the bank.

Let's agree with you for a moment and assume you are correct. The problem would not be a spending problem as is so often mentioned. We spend the money so crying about a lack of spending is just weak yet it is the battle cry of so many.

To your blame of charter schools, our education system sucked long before charter schools. There is profit to be had in the private arena as well as the public sector. Charter schools must perform or they will close their doors. Public schools just get more money dumped into them with little improvement.

Two NOLA charter schools were recently shut down by Bese for having failing grades. Public schools that fail simply get more money dumped into them.

But the idea that we do not spend money is a flat lie and people that spout this repeatedly have a negative impact on improving the situation.

Create a problem, sell a solution. This is the free-market disruption that is sucking up your dollars

Create a problem??? So do we have an education problem or not? I think we all agree there is a problem and again it has been there long before privitization. Your bolded one liner is just silly and continues to fuel the education issues. Everybody agrees we havevprobkems. Everybody agrees it needs to be fixed. Everybody cries that not enough is being done.

Yet when things are tried, selfish and political views try to block progress by holding up bolded one liner protest posters. Bese President said "Over the past 50, 60, 100 years, we have dug a deep hole. "

How long have these charters been around? I am struggling to understand your claim that they are creating a problem.

We spend the money so crying about a lack of spending is just weak yet it is the battle cry of so many.

Follow the links above, and you'll see where the money is skimmed off by charlatans before it ever hits the districts or classrooms. Money is an issue, because it is not going where it needs to go, is not equitably spread around, and is not going to negate poverty - the true culprit. Address the poverty, along with recreating the neighborhood schools, and you'll see less severe (expensive) education needs along with less crime. This is a no-brainer.

To your blame of charter schools, our education system sucked long before charter schools.
No. You bought in to the propaganda being pushed by those after the almighty dollar. Study the real numbers. More here.

There is profit to be had in the private arena as well as the public sector.
There should be no room for profit in the public sector. If so, cut the budget. What a stupid and self-serving road we allowed ourselves to go down, when we sold out the public good like this. Realistically and practically, we should be looking out for ourselves collectively instead of individually, in these few areas of public service...if indeed the goal is to pay as little tax as possible.

Charter schools must perform or they will close their doors. Public schools just get more money dumped into them with little improvement.

Two NOLA charter schools were recently shut down by Bese for having failing grades. Public schools that fail simply get more money dumped into them.
False. Poor schools are set up to fail, making them ripe pickings for corporate charter chains. They get less money for "failing" not more. Almost all of the charters in the state were "failing" by the same standards used to remove schools from neighborhood districts, at least until the ratings system was tweaked. Surprise! (not)

It is harder to shut down a bad charter in Louisiana than it is to remove a tenured teacher in a union. Try again.[/quote]

Bese President said "Over the past 50, 60, 100 years, we have dug a deep hole. "
There is your problem right there. And your solution. What exactly have Americans who endured this horrible public education been able to accomplish in the past 50, 60, 100 years? :spit: Oh, I don't know. Go to the moon? Win a couple of world wars? Something about technology?

Don't allow yourself to be brainwashed by some narrative designed to induce disruption. Read up on the history of the segregationist motives and religious extremism behind school choice then (A Nation at Risk) and now the resulting money grab.

Follow the links above, and you'll see where the money is skimmed off by charlatans before it ever hits the districts or classrooms. Money is an issue, because it is not going where it needs to go, is not equitably spread around, and is not going to negate poverty - the true culprit. Address the poverty, along with recreating the neighborhood schools, and you'll see less severe (expensive) education needs along with less crime. This is a no-brainer.

No. You bought in to the propaganda being pushed by those after the almighty dollar. Study the real numbers. More here.

There should be no room for profit in the public sector. If so, cut the budget. What a stupid and self-serving road we allowed ourselves to go down, when we sold out the public good like this. Realistically and practically, we should be looking out for ourselves collectively instead of individually, in these few areas of public service...if indeed the goal is to pay as little tax as possible.

False. Poor schools are set up to fail, making them ripe pickings for corporate charter chains. They get less money for "failing" not more. Almost all of the charters in the state were "failing" by the same standards used to remove schools from neighborhood districts, at least until the ratings system was tweaked. Surprise! (not)

It is harder to shut down a bad charter in Louisiana than it is to remove a tenured teacher in a union. Try again.

There is your problem right there. And your solution. What exactly have Americans who endured this horrible public education been able to accomplish in the past 50, 60, 100 years? :spit: Oh, I don't know. Go to the moon? Win a couple of world wars? Something about technology?

Don't allow yourself to be brainwashed by some narrative designed to induce disruption. Read up on the history of the segregationist motives and religious extremism behind school choice then (A Nation at Risk) and now the resulting money grab.[/QUOTE]

***edit*** Green text above was not said by me. It was actually from post #27. My quote tag was misplaced.

Same tiring argument yielding the same crappy results.

Need more money but only thru liberal programs.

Liberal what? Getting rid of leeches is now liberal? Throwing money at unproven, unregulated "solutions" is conservative? :smilielol: Alrighty!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom