Civic Literacy Exam (1 Viewer)

V Chip

Truth Addict (aww ^&%$ I got a head rush)
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Close enough to ATL to smell the stink of Falcons

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
31. I'm embarrassed to have missed the question about Roosevelt and the USSC. I thought he'd threatened to impeach. Oh well. School was many moons ago.

OP
OP
V Chip

V Chip

Truth Addict (aww ^&%$ I got a head rush)
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Close enough to ATL to smell the stink of Falcons
I got 32 of 33 -- I missed the free markets question as I didn't think ANY of the answers were right, so I picked what I thought was least wrong. :)

TulsaSaint

Sem medo de ser feliz
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if it's really a civic literacy test, or if it's a cleverly disguised attempt to push capitalist, free market economics on people. It started out with pretty standard civics-type questions, but many of the last 8 or so were fishing for answers that poo-pooed the role of the government in stimulating economic growth, argued against government intervention in the economy, etc.

Sure enough, the Intercollegiate Studies Institute (ISI) is described on Wikipedia as "tend[ing] towards paleoconservative and traditionalist conservative positions. The influence of several important twentieth-century Roman Catholic thinkers is also apparent at ISI. In fact, the very reason given for the existence of ISI is that education in the modern university is insufficiently liberal (in the traditional sense) to meet the needs of a classical education. Further, the organization fights what it perceives as political correctness and liberal (in the modern sense) bias among campus professors."

On its own site, the ISI says that it "works 'to educate for liberty' — to identify the best and the brightest college students and to nurture in these future leaders the American ideal of ordered liberty. To accomplish this goal, ISI seeks to enhance the rising generation's knowledge of our nation's founding principles — limited government, individual liberty, personal responsibility, the rule of law, market economy, and moral norms."

This isn't a civics test. It's designed to make conservative economic principles look like unadorned truth. Several of their "correct" answers are no more than opinion, and highly debatable opinion at that. It'd be like having a "religious knowledge" quiz, starting with some basic questions about monotheism and polytheism, and then having a question or two that said, "The religion that most closely approximates universal human principles of justice, truth, and good is a) Christianity, b) Islam, c) Buddhism, or d) Hinduism," with the correct answer being a) Christianity.

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Good catch by Tulsa, I was sort of starting to wonder.

Bottom of a Rolling Rock label.

mister pc

Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if it's really a civic literacy test, or if it's a cleverly disguised attempt to push capitalist, free market economics on people. It started out with pretty standard civics-type questions, but many of the last 8 or so were fishing for answers that poo-pooed the role of the government in stimulating economic growth, argued against government intervention in the economy, etc.

Sure enough, the Intercollegiate Studies Institute (ISI) is described on Wikipedia as "tend[ing] towards paleoconservative and traditionalist conservative positions. The influence of several important twentieth-century Roman Catholic thinkers is also apparent at ISI. In fact, the very reason given for the existence of ISI is that education in the modern university is insufficiently liberal (in the traditional sense) to meet the needs of a classical education. Further, the organization fights what it perceives as political correctness and liberal (in the modern sense) bias among campus professors."

On its own site, the ISI says that it "works 'to educate for liberty' — to identify the best and the brightest college students and to nurture in these future leaders the American ideal of ordered liberty. To accomplish this goal, ISI seeks to enhance the rising generation's knowledge of our nation's founding principles — limited government, individual liberty, personal responsibility, the rule of law, market economy, and moral norms."

This isn't a civics test. It's designed to make conservative economic principles look like unadorned truth. Several of their "correct" answers are no more than opinion, and highly debatable opinion at that. It'd be like having a "religious knowledge" quiz, starting with some basic questions about monotheism and polytheism, and then having a question or two that said, "The religion that most closely approximates universal human principles of justice, truth, and good is a) Christianity, b) Islam, c) Buddhism, or d) Hinduism," with the correct answer being a) Christianity.
good post! The wording and inclusion of some question topics stood out to me, no16 about moral absolutism in particular, and the free market vs centralized planning theme in no19 and a few others. It feels like a crusader's cleverly disguised attempt to promote a subjective worldview, and elevate pet theories into the realm of universal law.

TulsaSaint

Sem medo de ser feliz
Reaction score
good post! The wording and inclusion of some question topics stood out to me, no16 about moral absolutism in particular, and the free market vs centralized planning theme in no19 and a few others. It feels like a crusader's cleverly disguised attempt to promote a subjective worldview, and elevate pet theories into the realm of universal law.
Right, and a test is a smart way to do it. The Libertarians have been doing it for years with the World's Smallest Political Quiz. It's basically designed with leading questions to have most people who take it turn out as a Libertarian.

Sandman

Trustworthy
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
0-33.

American.

4saintspirit

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
31 -- missed the Aristotle question and the lincoln debates --

Have to wonder what the heck the definition of business profit was doing in a civics test -- the other thing - the international trade question -- I think I would have different answers depending on the balance of trade in terms of imports versus exports --

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if it's really a civic literacy test, or if it's a cleverly disguised attempt to push capitalist, free market economics on people.
That's at least partly what it was. No doubt, but it still defines awareness of the American political system and history.

E Pluribus Unum

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I don't necessarily believe anyones answers. Unless you guys googled before clicking the answer. Don't trust anyone you don't know especially on the internet. This thread should be taken with a grain of salt.

TulsaSaint

Sem medo de ser feliz
Reaction score
Did y'all notice at the top of the page where they say that college educators got only 55% right? First, I have no idea how they know that, since the test doesn't ask you if you are a college professor or have any way of verifying it. Second, that's definitely in keeping with what their Wiki page says - their crusade against "liberal" academics for not agreeing with them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Twitter

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom