Civilization 6 (1 Viewer)

OK, I figured it out. It was a technology I needed to allow any unit to travel shallow water. Finally was able to get out of my little land lock area and establish two more cities.

Russia is in my map, but I haven't run into them yet, but they seem to be taking over militarily. Luckily they're messing with France who also has a larger military than I do and is mostly a buffer between Russia and I. However, I'm pretty sure I'm the first to muskets. I haven't had a war or been attacked by anyone other than barbarians, so we'll see.

Got a solid 52 hours in, I play on marathon mode.

Can easily say best Civilization game ever, and this is before any DLC and expansions which generally make these games that much better.

First play through was with Roosevelt, I came in 2nd place, Saladin that *******! I was just learning the game though, and really not focused in on any particular pathway. My Civilization was to broad, covering Science, Culture, Military, Industry and really didn't flourish at anything. But I was just trying to get a feel for everything.

I love the new districts. Really gives you the ability to assign citys to certain tasks I.E. If i'm going to dedicate a city to unit building, I will try to find an area with hills and forests, couple mineable resources always a plus. Build an encampment district, build and industrial district, focus on production and churn out promotable units in 10 turns or less. Similar enough on Science, Culture, religion, you really have the ability to fine tune any aspect of your civilization to fit your needs for that particular play through.

I like wonders requiring dedicated tiles, and being much more placement specific than in the previous games and only being buildable if a handful of conditions are met with a proper location. All civ games before really put any starting city near stone or marble at a huge advantage over everyone in the wonder building department. This game levels the playing field and really make you dive into the playstyle of the wonder bonus. It also limits the amount of wonders any one city/civ can build making you really pick and choose what wonders would be most beneficial, and hold out for those specific ones.

The tech and culture boosts (EUREKA!) for unresearched techs and civics are another nice touch. You can really jump out ahead and separate yourself from the pack in certain aspects of the game. Depending on how your playing. If you are on an island building naval units, and getting those tech boosts for build two galleys, but 2 harbors, kill a unit with a quadramine, etc. You are going to receive tech boosts for building a great navy quickly and you will be able to take advantage in that aspect over your competition. I also love the split Science/Culture trees. Was a great idea and will make each decision, and playthrough that much more unique.

Loving this game!

Playthrough number 2, i'm Norway. I got a dream map, its one giant continent with a mid sized island off of it. My starting point was on the mid sized island all by my lonesome. Not even a city state. I focused on religion, production, and a Navy. I was pretty much left alone while the other civs battled for position. I covered the island with 3 cities and ran out of room, so I just focused on making them great cities. Built farms everywhere applicable first to get faster growth and then filled in the resources as they grew. Once the main continent started to get filled up, I cherry picked one little piece of land with some Silver on it and a couple sea resources for food, to give myself a foot hold on the main continent, Fortified the **** out of that place, then sat back and built naval ships.

That warmongering savage Ghandi, and Pedro II felt I was getting to powerful and teamed up to take me out both claiming "someone has to oppose you". I let them attack and destroyed all their units trying to cross the ocean with my naval fleet. Than I savagely raided the coast of India. Pedro quickly negotiated peace, leaving the savage Ghandi by his lonesome against the Thunderbolt of the North! So ive been raiding the coast of India for the last 50 years or so, peppering their cities with cannon fire from my dozen or so Frigates, and raiding coastal tiles (norway speciality) and eventually cities with the Caravels.

While I was overseas dealing with Ghandi, my only friend, the Germans (never trust those krouts!) surprise attacked my foothold city on the main continent. But this was expected eventually because, well I kinda dropped it in his lap to begin with. It was on his borders that I decided to make my foothold, and he immediately got upset and demanded that I don't settle in his lands. As mentioned above I fortified that city with all my land units from the early game, which I had since upgraded to musket men, and weathered his initial attack. So now I am currently warring with Germany, and beating the crap out of Ghandi who is pretty much decimated at this point. While he was fighting me on the east, the barbarians had been amassing an unchecked force on the west. So he is being raided by me from the sea, and them from the land. I just let the barbarians burn Mumbai and Mysore to the ground, because I already have 3 of their (india's cities) and they are kind of useless because I pillaged everything, and need to repair everything before they can grow. I am instead going to let the barbarians raze them, save myself the warmongering penalty, and just follow behind with my own settlers and put some Viking cities in their place.

How can I afford such a wonderful navy? Because everything I do is in the name of god for the sake of Christianity. I spent the better half of the game spreading religion from my island while the other countries were jousting for position, and I get lotsa gold in the name of Jesus, that I use to kill Ghandi.

Once I win this playthrough, hopefully in domination fashion, I think I will play again as Teddy Roosevelt find the Aztecs (thanks to the preorder DLC which everyone got anyways) build the great wall, and make them pay for it!

This game is AWESOME!

Got a solid 52 hours in, I play on marathon mode.

Can easily say best Civilization game ever, and this is before any DLC and expansions which generally make these games that much better.

First play through was with Roosevelt, I came in 2nd place, Saladin that *******! I was just learning the game though, and really not focused in on any particular pathway. My Civilization was to broad, covering Science, Culture, Military, Industry and really didn't flourish at anything. But I was just trying to get a feel for everything.

I love the new districts. Really gives you the ability to assign citys to certain tasks I.E. If i'm going to dedicate a city to unit building, I will try to find an area with hills and forests, couple mineable resources always a plus. Build an encampment district, build and industrial district, focus on production and churn out promotable units in 10 turns or less. Similar enough on Science, Culture, religion, you really have the ability to fine tune any aspect of your civilization to fit your needs for that particular play through.

I like wonders requiring dedicated tiles, and being much more placement specific than in the previous games and only being buildable if a handful of conditions are met with a proper location. All civ games before really put any starting city near stone or marble at a huge advantage over everyone in the wonder building department. This game levels the playing field and really make you dive into the playstyle of the wonder bonus. It also limits the amount of wonders any one city/civ can build making you really pick and choose what wonders would be most beneficial, and hold out for those specific ones.

The tech and culture boosts (EUREKA!) for unresearched techs and civics are another nice touch. You can really jump out ahead and separate yourself from the pack in certain aspects of the game. Depending on how your playing. If you are on an island building naval units, and getting those tech boosts for build two galleys, but 2 harbors, kill a unit with a quadramine, etc. You are going to receive tech boosts for building a great navy quickly and you will be able to take advantage in that aspect over your competition. I also love the split Science/Culture trees. Was a great idea and will make each decision, and playthrough that much more unique.

Loving this game!

Playthrough number 2, i'm Norway. I got a dream map, its one giant continent with a mid sized island off of it. My starting point was on the mid sized island all by my lonesome. Not even a city state. I focused on religion, production, and a Navy. I was pretty much left alone while the other civs battled for position. I covered the island with 3 cities and ran out of room, so I just focused on making them great cities. Built farms everywhere applicable first to get faster growth and then filled in the resources as they grew. Once the main continent started to get filled up, I cherry picked one little piece of land with some Silver on it and a couple sea resources for food, to give myself a foot hold on the main continent, Fortified the **** out of that place, then sat back and built naval ships.

That warmongering savage Ghandi, and Pedro II felt I was getting to powerful and teamed up to take me out both claiming "someone has to oppose you". I let them attack and destroyed all their units trying to cross the ocean with my naval fleet. Than I savagely raided the coast of India. Pedro quickly negotiated peace, leaving the savage Ghandi by his lonesome against the Thunderbolt of the North! So ive been raiding the coast of India for the last 50 years or so, peppering their cities with cannon fire from my dozen or so Frigates, and raiding coastal tiles (norway speciality) and eventually cities with the Caravels.

While I was overseas dealing with Ghandi, my only friend, the Germans (never trust those krouts!) surprise attacked my foothold city on the main continent. But this was expected eventually because, well I kinda dropped it in his lap to begin with. It was on his borders that I decided to make my foothold, and he immediately got upset and demanded that I don't settle in his lands. As mentioned above I fortified that city with all my land units from the early game, which I had since upgraded to musket men, and weathered his initial attack. So now I am currently warring with Germany, and beating the crap out of Ghandi who is pretty much decimated at this point. While he was fighting me on the east, the barbarians had been amassing an unchecked force on the west. So he is being raided by me from the sea, and them from the land. I just let the barbarians burn Mumbai and Mysore to the ground, because I already have 3 of their (india's cities) and they are kind of useless because I pillaged everything, and need to repair everything before they can grow. I am instead going to let the barbarians raze them, save myself the warmongering penalty, and just follow behind with my own settlers and put some Viking cities in their place.

How can I afford such a wonderful navy? Because everything I do is in the name of god for the sake of Christianity. I spent the better half of the game spreading religion from my island while the other countries were jousting for position, and I get lotsa gold in the name of Jesus, that I use to kill Ghandi.

Once I win this playthrough, hopefully in domination fashion, I think I will play again as Teddy Roosevelt find the Aztecs (thanks to the preorder DLC which everyone got anyways) build the great wall, and make them pay for it!

This game is AWESOME!

I'd definitely start out differently the second time around. However, I am morphing a bit into specialized districts. I think my biggest misstep, however, was my second and third city are a bit too close to each other, but that was because I was cut off and didn't have the right tech at the time.

I'm actually pretty far ahead scientifically compared to the rest of the map, but otherwise, I've been sort of a generalist. I just started messing around with Religion. I went with Greece and started my own Religion (Greekos, because, well, I wasn't feeling very creative with the name.. but it does sound like a yogurt brand). I think I'm the only one with muskets, but I can only see France's military. So, while I'm weak militarily, if I start to churn out units, I think I'd be superior pretty quick. I just switched to a Merchant Republic. I've found it so much easier to just buy up tiles around my cities and buy builders, since some of my placement wasn't great for constructing units.

I'll probably eventually go to war with France.. we don't have an alliance, just some trade stuff, but Russia seems to have initiated something with France, so I'll wait until they're softened up a bit.

And I agree, work is getting in the way. haha.

Should I be founding new cities or researching masonry for walls and building up my main city first?

This would be a lot easier if those barbarian jerks would stay off of my land!

Should I be founding new cities or researching masonry for walls and building up my main city first?

You should definitely build a wall. A huge wall.

You should be doing scout, slinger, scout, warrior, builder, then maybe a settler to start.. and take care of the Barbs. Don't send your first warrior wondering, keep him close to home. The barbs are coming. The second city all depends on your start and the potential spots you've scouted for your second city, but ultimately everyone's first objective in Ancient era is to take care of the immediate Barbarian outposts.

once you get the Civic to reduce all military units cost by one gold, your ancient era army upkeep is ZERO. If you really want to you can churn out slingers,horsemen, and spearmen until you have to start upgrading them, and instead of upgrading them you can just sell them for a nice chunk of change.

Quick Tip for everyone used to playing old Civ. Production carries over. No longer do you start at Zero when complete a project, the overflow goes into the next production item you choose.

Take care of your City! You are the city!

You start with a warrior, I explore immediate area with him and make circles around the city, but I keep him close while I build a 2nd warrior. After I get 2, I explore with themboth side by side and go barbarian hunting making circles around the immediate unexplored areas, making bigger and bigger circles with those guys. Once scout is complete, I send him out scouting, and bring the warriors home, and keep them there only leaving to clear barbarian outposts as soon as I discover them before they become an issue. I train a ranged unit to defend the city immediately after the scout. Then I roll with it from there. But protect your capital city. Thats 101!

To me the scout is far more important that getting a second warrior. If it comes down to it and you need to assist the Warrior, that scout can fill in for a turn or two while you get your slinger out to defend the city and get your archery eureka. That gets your scout leveled up so you can move faster on the map. I'd even consider that two slingers is more important than two warriors. But you need to get that first scout moving so he can locate villages and get the continent eureka for trade routes.

The scout locating villages is worth a lot of science in the beginning if you can get the Eurekas from them. Plus you need to start meeting as many Civs as you can early so you can try to get on their good side in the beginning instead advancing to the next era where those early relations opportunities are gone and more difficult to become friends.

To me the scout is far more important that getting a second warrior. If it comes down to it and you need to assist the Warrior, that scout can fill in for a turn or two while you get your slinger out to defend the city and get your archery eureka. I'd even consider that two slingers is more important than two warriors. But you need to get that first scout moving so he can locate villages and get the continent eureka for trade routes.

Its ingrained in me I think.

I play against other humans a lot, and I am cautious of early ambushes, slingers are new and you used to have to research archery first.

But your entirely right, with slingers as an option now, its probably makes more sense to add them earlier than the 2nd warrior.

I'd still prefer the 2nd military unit to the scout, because I do scout immediate areas with my warriors up until I start building my workers.

Yea, multiplayer might be a bit different in approach. But for single player the Scout is paramount to getting a fast start and getting to those villages first. 20 Faith? Instant Pantheon.

Attachments

• saveciv6.jpg
    saveciv6.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 10
Also, if you haven't done it. I recommend everyone go to options and click animated time of day on.

It will change from day and night every couple turns. Wonders like the great lighthouse, and the city buildings etc. will light up at night and look great.

Also, if you haven't done it. I recommend everyone go to options and click animated time of day on.

It will change from day and night every couple turns. Wonders like the great lighthouse, and the city buildings etc. will light up at night and look great.

BTW, for those that don't know, if you hold the ALT key down, you can click and drag to rotate the map, but only temporarily. When you let go, it snaps back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom