Class 5A 2006 LHSAA Football Playoffs Bracket (1 Viewer)

Actually Kellye, when we were in school, there was no 5A. 4A was the highest/largest schools. 5A was created some time after that. Rummel (and all of the Catholic league schools, including Shaw) were District 9 - 4A. I still see Holy Cross and some others listed as 5A, so I thought the whole league had moved up to 5A. I guess not.

Gotcha. All I remember is that OPW/Shaw/EJ/Ehret were in the highest class division at the time. I didn't know that 5A was added later. Thanks for the info!

I know we played Shaw every year because we could count on the crowd chanting this one particular obscene cheer about Shaw....:ezbill:

I know we played Shaw every year because we could count on the crowd chanting this one particular obscene cheer about Shaw....:ezbill:

Yeah, we played you guys every year when I was at Shaw. We didn't have any obscene cheers for OPW. But when we looked at the schedule at the beginning of the season, the OPW game was always listed as an automatic "W". :)

Why did y'all even show up? :shrug:

/lookattheoldpeopletalkingabouthighschoolmemories

Yeah, we played you guys every year when I was at Shaw. We didn't have any obscene cheers for OPW. But when we looked at the schedule at the beginning of the season, the OPW game was always listed as an automatic "W". :)

Why did y'all even show up? :shrug:

/lookattheoldpeopletalkingabouthighschoolmemories

I was at OPW a *cough* few years before you were at Shaw, and things weren't much different. We did make the playoffs one year that I remember, but usually the team was pretty bad. Games were still fun, though!

/isthisanothergeritolthread/

Bastrop would not destroy Curtis....they wouldnt even beat them yet DESTROY THEM

Not sure about destroy....but could beat them. There are two SEC committed defensive linemen (LSU & Alabama), the 9th rated WR in the country, and no doubt the best QB in the state. I say it would be a 'heckuva' game. Don't be too sure if you haven't seen them.

Goooooooooooooooooo Rams!

Jan

HS playoff seeding is according to the power ratings which relies on opponents records. It has nothing to do with the worthless polls that pop up from time to time. Bastrop would likely destroy any team in LA, including WMHS, Evangel and Curtis.

I'm predicting a West Monroe v. Fontainebleau showdown in the Superdome, but the game of the year will be West Monroe and East St. John.

I was wondering that. Catholic in BR has been ranked #2 all year, yet they're a 7 seed.

Bastrop would not destroy Curtis....they wouldnt even beat them yet DESTROY THEM

Curtis is a one man show. They wouldn't get past WMHS. WMHS has faced and stopped those high pedigree runners fro years now (Rondell Mealy, Travis Minor, Kevin Faulk, Cedric Benson, Ally Broussard, etc.)

'Strop would defeat Curtis and handily...

lmao at all you guys who think Bastrop can play with Curtis. Calling them a one man show is silly. That team is fundamentally sound all the way down to the water boys. And so what if they shut down McKnight, they'll just do like the Saints and air raid you. But seriously, why do people want to always talk about McKnight is a one man show, yadda yadda...without him, yadda yadda. Bottom line is Curtis is a team whose defense gave up 4.1111 points a game this year and that includes the former #1 ranked team in the country. Throw that game out the window and you're looking at defense that gave up under 3 points a game all year including a game against Mandeville's high octane offense, which got blanketed.
And have people forgotten who coaches them?

Bastrop had a great season and they are a very good club, but they played a lot of cupcakes and barely beat freakin Hunnington (6-3), a 1-9 team. That same team was trounced by West Monroe 55-7. Minden, Shaw and even Breaux Bridge would all whip Bastrop. Lets see who makes it to state and who doesn't. Rams will be out soon enough.

Anyway, Fontainebleu all the way! Go dogs all the way to the dome! We whipped Thibodeaux 41-13 tonight. We're without our star player throughout the playoffs, but we didn't seem to miss him in the second half tonight. First half was scary (14-13).

Last edited:
Curtis is a one man show. They wouldn't get past WMHS. WMHS has faced and stopped those high pedigree runners fro years now (Rondell Mealy, Travis Minor, Kevin Faulk, Cedric Benson, Ally Broussard, etc.)

'Strop would defeat Curtis and handily...

not even close to a one man show. have you watched them this year.....they put up 40 in the first Quarter last night....they would beat Bastrop without Mcnight....david seaman is a top notch rb also....and their line...lets just say Oakland would make a even swap, and improve drastically lol

Just thought I would mention that WR I mentioned earlier (DeAngelo Benton) is also an LSU commitment.

Bastrop barely beat Huntington while Mackey & Recasner were on their two game suspension during the highly emotional time after the state championship was taken away. Don't let the game/score make much of an impression...it was a fluke game. The game before that one, the Rams had blown out one of the top teams in Oklahoma.

The Rams won 48-19 in a "sloppy" game last night over Belle Chasse.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061111/PREPSSPORTS/611110343

Oh yeah....the Rams are just as deep as John Curtis. Don't ever think they aren't. I wish "Fifty" Tolbert wasn't so small. He's a true shut-down corner. I would love to see him at LSU, but he is considering La Tech & Missouri.

Jan

P.S. Best wishes to John Curtis. I truly wish Bastrop could play them in the playoffs now. We will never know just how the two teams would match up. I never agreed with forcing them to play down in classification (size).

not even close to a one man show. have you watched them this year.....they put up 40 in the first Quarter last night....they would beat Bastrop without Mcnight....david seaman is a top notch rb also....and their line...lets just say Oakland would make a even swap, and improve drastically lol

Yes. I saw them play Hoover. Take McKnight out of the game and Bastrop (and West Monroe) tee off on the QB all night long. Bastrop and West Monroe aren't Shaw, Ehret, Catholic, etc. These guys take this probably more seriously than the Saints do. They don't take days off. They start hitting weights and doing speed training in 7th grade as a team. Kids see that they go deep in the playoffs and parents see that West Monroe is the best place to live in Northeast LA and move there. Fans are rapid and they usually travel in greater numbers than the home teams have. It's an obsession and they don't spend their Fridays beating up on 1A-3A teams.

Every year is a great West Monroe defense. Bastrop has always been among the most talented teams in the state, but the kids had no true leader and no one to groom them as football players. They had no offseason program and no weight program. Bradshaw saw that and has begun to get Bastrop going in the same direction as West Monroe, Ouachita, Neville, etc.

But how would Bastrop beat Curtis's defense. No one gives it any credit. Just like the 90s Chicago Bulls. Michael Jordan overshadowed the fact they had a top 3 defense in the league, in some seasons, the best. I definitely put more stock on Curtis's offense against Bastrop's defense than vice-versa, even without McKnight, but that's silly anyway. I mean, Cinci would have beat San Diego if you take LT out the equation...

Bastrop has the best QB in the state (Randall Mackey), one of the top two receivers in the state ( DeAngelo Benton), a very strong O-Line and one of the better running games in the state. That's how...

On defense they have two 300 lb Div. I pospect DT's (LeMarcus Williams and Kantravis Aubrey) to clog up the middle of the field and a ton of speed to fly to the ball carrier.

Benton, Aubrey and Williams have all verbally comitted to SEC schools.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom