Classical Favorites??? (1 Viewer)

wnelson

Who Dat Nation
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Modern music has kinda plateaued for me so I am rediscovering the music of my youth. My dad taught piano and listened to opera early in the mornings before work. Here are a few of my favorites I hope to see if you all have any suggestions or ones that you love too. I got 2 albums by Wolf Hoffman because of this board.

anyway

when I turned 16 my dad learned to play this Gershwin piece without having to read the sheet music because he knew it was my favorite

I hope you enjoy these pieces and I hope to see what I am missing.

Last edited:
rach 2 is pure gold and liszt is an Austro-Hungarian master.... the sam barber piece is what makes this medium so powerful and raw. I know it, but I didn't know the composer. thanks man!

rach 2 is pure gold and liszt is an Austro-Hungarian master.... the sam barber piece is what makes this medium so powerful and raw. I know it, but I didn't know the composer. thanks man!
Agreed! Barber's Adagio for Strings is one of the single most amazing pieces ever composed, IMHO. Just stunning.

my older sister played these 2 bach pieces and the one I posted originally for her Ursuline Bach Competition and came in second. she was so mad she switched to guitar! I think if I had a favorite composer it is probably Bach because when I close my eyes and listen with good headphones I can get lost for an hour.

One of my instantly recognizable favorites:

I had this as my ringtone for several years. this sounds to me like old newsreel footage or silent movies. this was another my dad played from memory.

Sorry for not posting the music itself

Bach cello suites
Arvo Part Spiegel im spiegel + te deum
Soundtrack to tous les matins du monde (Maris, Saint Colombe)
Dvorak new world symphony
Phillip Glass glassworks
Stravinski rite of spring
Bach Brandenburg
Most of Grieg’s Peer Gynt Suite
A 3rd for Barber’s adagio
Gorecki’s 3rd symphony
Satie gymnopedies

Also
Most anything Kronos Quartet does
Matt Haimovitz
Jordi Savall

and if we are allowing for modern interpretations in this thread Max Richter's version of Four seasons is simply outstanding.

this was the first classical cd I ever bought... well, the Vivaldi original anyway. I want to listen to this later in its entirety

Most of Grieg’s Peer Gynt Suite

That made me laugh when I read it. I agree with you, and we probably like/dislike the same parts.

From my favourite opera, Tosca, E lucevan le stelle from act 3 (including the beginning of the scene -aria starts at 2:45)

this was the first classical cd I ever bought... well, the Vivaldi original anyway. I want to listen to this later in its entirety

1st @ Guido Dvorak new world is one I discovered in college and it is random background for work music frequently. very productive.

and @ Zach finally had a chance to listen undisturbed with loud headphones and wow... forking people baffle me with their creativity and imagination. music is the universal language and Vivaldi created a complete masterpiece. the reimagining by Richter really makes me want to discover much more of his work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom