Clearview Mall Boycott (1 Viewer)

Easy solution: Charge $20 (or more) per unaccompanied person under the appropriate age at the door.

If you bring receipts showing you purchased the amount of your "cover charge" or more from the time you entered, you get your "cover charge" money back.

Loitering is not a right and definitely should not be free.

They did this at a Houma bowling alley and it transformed the place. It was previously overrun with unattended children causing trouble while not spending money. Charging a $5 cover that could be applied to bowling fees really helped.

teenagers.thumbnail.jpg

>>>"If 1,000 people don't go to the movies, that's $8.50 per ticket that they're going to be losing," Shaver said.

Kid knows his math, I'll give him that

They did this at a Houma bowling alley and it transformed the place. It was previously overrun with unattended children causing trouble while not spending money. Charging a $5 cover that could be applied to bowling fees really helped.

They did this at a bowling alley on the West Bank as well. But the end result was the same because:
1) The area around it has a severe crime problem.
2) The owners of said bowling alley were more interested in making a couple of dollars off of "kiddie birthday parties" (and of course, they'd stick serious bowlers next to them, further antagonizing paying customers) than catering to serious bowlers and investing in newer equipment/remodeling.

So, said bowling alley was plowed under to make room for a Bed Bath and Beyond and a Circuit City. And, because Katrina wiped out the other bowling alley, we don't have one anymore.

I never had a problem or was bothered the several times I went to the Clearview Mall to see a movie. Granted I haven't been to the Clearview Mall in a couple years and don't know if they expanded the actual mall and the stores since then but I always considered it a joke of a shopping mall anyway. The only reason I was there was because of the theatre quite frankly. I sure as hell didn't find much reason to shop there for clothes/shoes etc or anything else...

I never had a problem or was bothered the several times I went to the Clearview Mall to see a movie. Granted I haven't been to the Clearview Mall in a couple years and don't know if they expanded the actual mall and the stores since then but I always considered it a joke of a shopping mall anyway. The only reason I was there was because of the theatre quite frankly. I sure as hell didn't find much reason to shop there for clothes/shoes etc or anything else...

the thai ribs at zea's are all the reason you ever need to go there.....and zea's beer as well

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/02/teens_plan_boycott_of_clearvie.html

I'm having a hard time with my opinion on this one. As an adult, the thought of being able to go to the mall without having a bunch of kids acting up is very positive. I also feel for the mall management.

On the other hand, I sympathize with the kids' point of view and salute their activism. If the mall doesn't want them there, not spending money there is a great reaction.

I'm with you...my first thought was "where are they going to go?". The mall is a safe, public place where the kids can go and not spend any money. When I was in high school we'd head out to the mall and spend little to no money, and have a good time. But....

...that being said, I don't remember the droves of teenagers hanging out in the food courts, using tables when they weren't even buying any food, preventing paying customers of the food places from finding a place to sit and eat. That has increased dramatically over the last several years. Also, many times the attitudes are bad....they simply will NOT move out of the way as they stand there in huge groups...there's a defiance factor with many of them. Sadly, this type of action punishes the good kids as well as the bad kids. I personally don't have a problem with teens hanging out at the mall, even if they're not spending money, as long as they're not obnoxious and realize that the paying customers take precedence in terms of food court seating, etc. It's a dilemna....

The girls also dress like 2 dollar hookers. Most of them anyway.

Here's a quote from the article, from the organizer of the "movement".

"Why can't they just beef up security instead of kicking everybody out?" Shaver asked.

---So the mall is supposed to incur the cost of beefing up security? Got to love 17 year old protesters.

I'll support their cause and join the boycott. Viva la revolution!

I'm joining in as well. Of course I haven't actually been to the Clearview Mall in about 5 years, so I'm not sure if my presence will actually be missed. But still. I’m willing to fight “the man.”

I have a big problem putting an age limit to enter a mall. It's simply un-american. They should just get better security.

The mall manager was on WWL yesterday talking about this. She said after the mall closed every Friday and Saturday night, there were 10 year olds still waiting for their parents in the parking lot. Also said graffitti and other damage to businesses in the mall was a problem.

She pretty much called out the parents of these kids for using the mall as a babysitter.

Also, the teens can go in as long as they have an adult with them.

I know, that's no fun.

My wife and I stopped going to that theater because of the herds of teens. Not worth it being a bad experience when you pay to see a movie. Might go back now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom