mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I just read about this island in Louisiana that has nearly disappeared. You all may already know about this, but this is new to me.

One of the worst things about this administration is it’s science denial. Trump isn’t very smart nor is he well educated. This has permeated the entire administration. It’s yet one more way Trump is hurting the very people he says he is helping.

I know we had a thread an this originally, but it was past two pages back, so I decided to start a new one. I know this case isn’t completely due to climate change, but as the article points out, in the future there will be many cases like this.

http://www.businessinsider.com/isle-de-jean-charles-climate-change-refugees-2018-4

OP
OP
mt15

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. pH is a logarithmic scale.

onthurdays

All-Pro
Reaction score
The acidity dropped from the 40s-60s and from the 80s-2000s. Shouldnt it go up if the CO2 increases? .1 increase is also within the margin of error. So over 100 years, its the same ph

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The acidity dropped from the 40s-60s and from the 80s-2000s.
Link?

Shouldnt it go up if the CO2 increases? .1 increase is also within the margin of error.
No it isn't. Full stop.
So over 100 years, its the same ph
Nope. Again, why do you so badly want it to be? Are you an Exxon shareholder?

I mean, you've utterly sacrificed anything like integrity regarding this issue in order to try to benefit billionaires who couldn't care less about you if you held a gun to their heads. Why on Earth is protecting them so important to you?

Saint_Ward

The Great Eye is ever Watchful
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's a massive body of water. You'll get variation. It's impossible to keep it perfectly homogeneous. But the concern is the overall trend. And yes, it may not be the strongest trend in the world.

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There is going to be variation between points of measurement, the most meaningful measurement is the impact you can actually witness on the things the acidity is concerned about, such as the coral and phytoplankton mentioned earlier or the food chains that feed billions of humans. The whole ocean isn't going to change at once either.

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
I don’t badly want it to be anything. It’s a weird obsession to say I love billionaires and Exxon.
It’s weird how the dips on that graph seem to be during times where there were lulls in the almost constant wars we’ve been involved in.

onthurdays

All-Pro
Reaction score
Okay so now we have gone to stop bombing people and killing micro life with poisons. This is a type of non-global warming global warming train I can get on.

Reaction score
and The solution to the new main problem(apparently acidification) is to tax the oil companies right?
Why is money more important to you than a habitable planet?
Why is corporate profit a better thing than diverse ecosystems which can sustain life?
How will having more money make life better on a planet where life is unsustainable?

onthurdays

All-Pro
Reaction score
Tapxe, money is not more important than a habitable planet.
Profit is not more important than life. I do not understand your questions.

Reaction score
Tapxe, money is not more important than a habitable planet.
Profit is not more important than life. I do not understand your questions.
You missed the obvious point then.

Why are you worried about taxes which would cause companies to shy away and find more eco-friendly ways of business?

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
Okay so now we have gone to stop bombing people and killing micro life with poisons. This is a type of non-global warming global warming train I can get on.
I was just making an observation. I have no idea if there is a connection. I assume people smarter than me on the topic have already thought about it.

You’re really defensive.

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t badly want it to be anything. It’s a weird obsession to say I love billionaires and Exxon.
It's a weird obsession the way you'll twist yourself into knots to try to deny climate change and ocean acidification. Both of which have been directly measured within the past 30 years.

But then I haven't been speaking directly to you for quite a few posts now. I recognize a Young-Earth Creationist when I see one, your debate style is precisely the same but centered on a different target.

What I've been doing is showing how very far afield you have to go to deny climate change. How much data you have to ignore and how carefully you have to cherry-pick what you reference in order to make even a terrible argument.

The ever-growing list of non-sequitur questions designed to drown the opposing side in bull****, the utter refusal to accept clear answers to those questions or even pretend they were given, these are all the hallmarks of debating with a YEC.

In their case, the reason why they'll lie, obfuscate, confuse and conflate is obvious. If they don't, Yahweh will smite them.

In your case and the case of other climate-change denialists, the motivation appears to be a slavish devotion to corporate profits. Huge corporations with billion-dollar profits must not be inconvenienced in any way lest the Market smite us. Or something. Frankly it makes little sense to me. But you do you. Keep on referencing conspiracy-theory graphs that prove nothing save that our measuring skills at 600ft were pretty lacking at the turn of the last century. Keep on acting like there's some shadowy cabal of scientists who're getting just filthy rich peddling photos of bleached coral. It's cool.

Anyone watching (and they're the ones I do this for) can enjoy as each of these spurious, nonsensical questions and denials are shot down, one by one.

If our interested observer would like to learn more, may I suggest the following:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/oceans/critical-issues-ocean-acidification/

https://skepticalscience.com/ocean-acidification-global-warming-intermediate.htm

Seems there's a whole course on climate change denial. Good. Our politicians are going to need it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saints RSS News Feeds 0

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom