Climate change - which now has made refugees out of Americans (1 Viewer)

Wait...Are you actually arguing that smog is not a public health hazard?

No. But I could argue that smog is a product of something productive, something humanity would be worse off without. Smog is a result of productivity. Would you like to not have that productivity? Personally, I'd like to not have the smog, but if the exchange is one for lower productivity, then I think it's worth considering that the smog is quite worth it.

I think if you ran a poll of who here was most likely to say ridiculous things, you'd find yourself either #1 or close.

Your argument on this thread is typical nonsense. You've picked a scab to protect and as you always do, tenaciously ignored any suggestion of reason.

To protect the poor who likely don't drive or own cars from the damaging effects of increased fuel costs, you'd propose what, exactly?

You're essentially defending the rights of the now dead members of the Easter Island tribes to burn the last tree in order to prevent themselves from being cold right before they became extinct.

Dude, I appreciate your criticism, but poor people DO drive and own cars. And, yeah, increased fuel costs have a heavy impact upon them.

I just want to get y'all to think a bit outside normality, that's all. I'm not trying to get you to agree with me. I wouldn't expect that. Much love :)

man, I was full on the benefit of a doubt train (mag lev, obivously), but you just went over the cliff here

eta: seems i'm not the only one

its alright, dont blame you! The benefit of the doubt train... you should stay on that train, it's a good train to be on...

No. But I could argue that smog is a product of something productive, something humanity would be worse off without. Smog is a result of productivity. Would you like to not have that productivity? Personally, I'd like to not have the smog, but if the exchange is one for lower productivity, then I think it's worth considering that the smog is quite worth it.

There's a min-max calculation to do, though.

Productivity is good.
So are health and quality of life.
Remember, it's quality of life that's the whole reason to be productive in the first place.

Somewhere between the pristine top of Mt Denali and the seething opacity of New Delhi is a sweet spot.

There's a min-max calculation to do, though.

Productivity is good.
So are health and quality of life.
Remember, it's quality of life that's the whole reason to be productive in the first place.

Somewhere between the pristine top of Mt Denali and the seething opacity of New Delhi is a sweet spot.

Nonsense. If the government were to increase taxes on gasoline by even 10c per gallon, the poor would suffer tremendously. Their houses would freeze and they'd start not being able to make it to pick up their welfare checks.

It's clear.

Mississippi, La and AL have very low gas taxes. Florida has a rather high gasoline tax. When you compare, you'll find that the poor in Florida are much worse off than in the other neighboring states.

Louisiana poor can still afford McDonalds and pepperoni. The poor in MS live tremendously bigly due to the low tax on fuel. Alabama even manages to win the national football championship without taxing the poor into death camps by raising the price of gasoline.

Compared to Florida where the poor eat no McDonalds, have poor football teams and can barely afford to visit the tanning beds that are now also taxed outrageously, MS, AL and LA are clearly superior.

IF all we had to do was lower the oppressive gasoline taxes, we could make America Great Again.

635995775467941159-151204305_a48250a41c8dd6da566b0408decd67f8.gif

I don't know if you're being serious or just trolling. I don't know if you're off your meds, 9 years old or 99 years old. Whatever the case is, you aren't making much sense to anyone.

Here's an article on the matter to educate yourself, even though you seem to think you're an expert on everything.

Mexico City Doubles Driving Ban as Pollution Persists - WSJ

Unfortunately, the smog plan in Mexico City is making things worse there. They prohibit driving based on the license plate. So people are getting secondary vehicles with different plates so that they can still drive. Oh and the secondary vehicles are usually older jalopies with worse emissions issues.

In Mexico City, The Return Of Terrible Smog : Parallels : NPR

She says more needs to be done than just restricting traffic by license plate numbers.

"Because people adjust, and they buy an additional car and [add] even more congestion to an already congested city," Alarcon says.

The good news...

Solar Has Become The World's Cheapest Form Of New Electricity | Fortune.com

Solar power is becoming the world's cheapest form of new electricity generation, data from Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) suggests.

According to Bloomberg's analysis, the cost of solar power in China, India, Brazil and 55 other emerging market economies has dropped to about one third of its price in 2010. This means solar now pips wind as the cheapest form of renewable energy—but is also outperforming coal and gas.

Louisiana Archaeological Sites Washing Away As Sea Levels Rise And Coast Sinks : NPR

What's locally known as the "Lemon Trees" is a stand of weathered old trees on a grassy tuft of land. It's a well-known landmark for fishermen, but Blink says they would rarely stop there to hunt or fish because it's a sacred Native American site.

"The legend goes that you were always to bring some kind of sacrifice, so somebody left some lemons for the ancestors," Blink says.

And those grew into big trees with grapefruit-sized lemons. But as land was lost to the Gulf of Mexico, saltwater made its way into the freshwater marsh, killing off the trees and other plants.

The trees stand like skeletons on the edge of this scrappy, wind-beaten island. Waves beat against the dirt, washing it away, exposing shards of ancient pottery.

"You can see, it's just everywhere ... there's just shards of it all over the place," Blink says. "This is earthen pottery made by natives. This site is in the process of being destroyed. It only has a few more years left."

This ancient Native American site is an important archaeological find. It's one of many historic sites being forever lost to the Gulf as rising seas and saltwater intrusion eat away at Louisiana's fragile marshes. Two sites like this are lost each year.

Unfortunately, the smog plan in Mexico City is making things worse there. They prohibit driving based on the license plate. So people are getting secondary vehicles with different plates so that they can still drive. Oh and the secondary vehicles are usually older jalopies with worse emissions issues.

In Mexico City, The Return Of Terrible Smog : Parallels : NPR

Right. Definitely a temporary solution. I can't remember which other country did this and it had the same result. But yeah, something else must be done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom