Clintons make $109 million since Bill left office (1 Viewer)

Richard

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm sure it was all done while serving the public good. :hihi:

AP
Clintons: $109.2 Million in 7 Years
Friday April 4, 4:21 pm ET
By Jim Kuhnhenn, Associated Press Writer
Clintons Report $109.2 Million in Income Over 7 Years

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and former President Clinton report nearly $109.2 million in income for seven years in newly released tax data.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080404/clinton_taxes.html?.v=1

Didn't Bill make around $200,000 per public appearance during that time. That must have added up to a good chunk of that.

All Presidents and VP's make crazy amounts of money when they leave office. Being the former "Most Powerful Man in the World" is big business.

One thing I liked about Bill was that he was not the typical big-money background politician (Bush, Gore, Kerry, etc). As governor and president he was not exactly bringing home a ton of cash. Now that he is cashing in, it doesn't really bother me... he did give 1/3 to the goverment and 10% to charity.

The real money is in the foundation, which garnered $500 million from foreign interests all over Asia and the Middle East. In my universe, foundation= tax-protected slush fund

The real money is in the foundation, which garnered $500 million from foreign interests all over Asia and the Middle East. In my universe, foundation= tax-protected slush fund

Beat me to it and this is just what is reported.

One thing I liked about Bill was that he was not the typical big-money background politician (Bush, Gore, Kerry, etc). As governor and president he was not exactly bringing home a ton of cash. Now that he is cashing in, it doesn't really bother me... he did give 1/3 to the goverment and 10% to charity.

I think your reasoning is a little backwards. It worries me a lot more when politicians get rich after they "serve" in office than when they were already rich going into it.

And this is news how?? I mean, seriously???

**EDIT-- I just clicked on both MSNBC.com and CNN.com to see how they're justifying this as a "news" story (can't pay me enough to click onto Foxnews.) Interstingly, MSNBC has it as a huge banner headline, while CNN has it fifth down under "Latest News" in relatively small print... I'm not saying there's any correlation to the fact that Olbermann and many others on MSNBC seem to be in Obama's back pocket. I'm not saying that at all.

I think your reasoning is a little backwards. It worries me a lot more when politicians get rich after they "serve" in office than when they were already rich going into it.

It's not conclusive by a long shot, but the poorer a President is when they enter office, the more corrupt they are. Rich Presidents are less susceptable to bad behavior. Of the three running this year, two have money; one doesn't. Discuss.

It's not conclusive by a long shot, but the poorer a President is when they enter office, the more corrupt they are. Rich Presidents are less susceptable to bad behavior. Of the three running this year, two have money; one doesn't. Discuss.

I'd love to see the research on this.

Darn smart people. The current other candidates and sitting President can't spell millions.

I'd love to see the research on this.

I define corruption by the frogmarching of the staff and colleagues. the current occupant regrettably doesn't make the cut, which either makes his administration pristine, or they're doing a magnificent job of staying out of prison. He's wealthy, and by that criterion, not corrupt. The recent history holds up reasonably well.

Bush 43- not corrupt (see above)
Clinton- corrupt
Bush 41- not corrupt
Reagan- corrupt
Carter- not corrupt (thesis fails)
Nixon- corrupt
Johnson- not corrupt (affluent wife)
Kennedy- not corrupt

That's 7-1 rich=not corrupt, not rich= corrupt. Those are good odds. McCain's wife is worth $100 million, so he should be OK. Obama, worth two million as listed in Business Week, is susceptable to the siren call of corruption. given his dealings with Tony Rezco, he's off to an excellent start.

I should have clarified, as I was going for a different angle (I am not making an argument on corruption). I feel like politics is such a big money game, I enjoy seeing someone who is NOT rich work hard and make it big in politics (I feel most of the prominent politicians come from privileged backgrounds). I don't mind anyone cashing in after the fact.

Re the 2000-2007 Tax Returns:

TAXES PAID: $33,783,507
The Clintons paid $33,783,507 in federal taxes - 31% of their adjusted gross income. According to the most recent data available from the IRS, in 2005 taxpayers earning $10,000,000 or more paid on average 20.8% of their adjusted gross income in taxes.
CHARITABLE CONTRIBUTIONS: $10,256,741
The Clintons donated $10,256,741 to charity - 9.5% of their adjusted gross income. According to the most recent data available from the IRS, in 2005 taxpayers earning $10,000,000 or more contributed 3.1% of their adjusted gross income in cash contributions to charity. Information about the Clinton Family Foundation, including a list of charities to which the Clintons contributed through the Foundation, is available online in the Foundation's publicly available tax returns (www.foundationcenter.org).
AFTER TAX EARNINGS: $57,157,297
CUMULATIVE TOTAL(GROSS) INCOME: $109,175,175
Including, among other items:

• Senator Clinton's Senate Salary: $1,051,606
  • President Clinton's Presidential Pension: $1,217,250
  • Senator Clinton's Book Income: $10,457,083
  • President Clinton's Book Income: $29,580,525
  • President Clinton's Speech Income: $51,855,599

SENATOR CLINTON'S BOOK INCOME: $10,457,083
Senator Clinton's book income is comprised of earnings for Living History ($10,267,895), including an $8,000,000 advance, and It Takes a Village ($189,188). The earnings for It Takes a Village were donated to charity. Since the release of It Takes a Village in 1996, Senator Clinton has donated over $1,100,000 to charity.
PRESIDENT CLINTON'S BOOK INCOME: $29,580,525
President Clinton's book income is comprised of earnings for My Life ($23,280,525), including a $15,000,000 advance, and Giving ($6,300,000). The President donated $1,000,000 of his income from Giving in 2007 to charity.
PRESIDENT CLINTON'S SPEECH INCOME: $51,855,599
NOTE: The figures in this summary include 2007 estimates.

Very few political figures have disclosed 30 years of their personal finances to the public as the Clintons now have. And what did we learn from the release of this very personal, private AND protected information?

Re the 2000-2007 Tax Returns:

Very few political figures have disclosed 30 years of their personal finances to the public as the Clintons now have. And what did we learn from the release of this very personal, private AND protected information?

It shows that they made a boatload of cash over the past few years but nothing sinister.

It shows that, once again, she showed poor judgement by playing around and not getting this out when it was being milked by Obama and allowing him to get some mileage out of it. She had nothing to hide and these records were coming out (and people weren't going to wait until she was nominated), so why the issue?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom