Clock Management (1 Viewer)

jojo223

Earn It!!!
Reaction score
Why do we always seem to burn an unneccesary time out every game? I feel like the offense and staff as a whole has struggled with clock management the last couple years, but it really hurt us bad today. I know the play clock was in the second level of the stadium, but they couldn't spare a gopher to be by Sean the whole game to let him know? Drew can scan a whole field and make his progressions, but can't look up for a split second to see what time is left on the clock? Just thinking about the little things this team needs to improve on to put themselves in a better position to win.

We have been one of the worst teams in the NFL in burning timeouts for no good reason about 5 years running now.

It's Sean's refusal to depart from his sub/mismatch scheme when we are down lay in the half or game. Down 10 points with 6 minutes left, it's time to gointo the no huddle hurry up offense. But SP is still taking 20 seconds to substitute player, Drew spends another few seconds in the huddle and by the time he starts reading the defense and trying to make an audible, there's 3 seconds left on the play clock. How many times is that going to happen before this team starts realizing that the no huddle is an element of the game that will hwlp you win.

I honestly think it an ego thing with Sean. He can't handle giving up full control of the offense to Drew. If they went into a full game no huddle, like Manning use to implement, we would have the most dominating offensive attack in the history of football.

And we used to be one of the best teams in the league at clock management under Payton. I don't know how this has happened. Also, no huddle often works really well for us. Why we don't use it more is beyond me.

It seems like Sean gives zero value to timeouts. Timeout are very important, and before wasting a timeout he should think twice.

I know in the heat of the game he has to think fast, but he must think carefully if it's really necessary wasting a timeout that we may really need later in the game.

Is a 5-yard penalty worth a timeout?

Usually, not. Now if it's 3rd and 1 and especially 4th and 1, possibly.

And first half maybe, but 2nd half timeouts are SO CRUCIAL.....

But we call TOs anytime the clock gets low, even on 1st and 10, which is infuriating.

The funny thing about SP is he often talks about "tempo" being important.

That to me would constitute getting everything going faster and leaving less time for D to adjust.

We had two turnovers and 8 penalties for 70 yards and we are discussing timeouts?

Home field advantage. Arrowhead stadium has been known (for decades) to be one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL. We burned timeouts today because those fans were so damn loud.

That and the play clock is in a different spot than a lot of stadiums. It's up high, so not in the QB's normal line of site.

I agree. The Saints' 2nd half clock management especially has been questionable at best so far this season for various reasons.

That and the play clock is in a different spot than a lot of stadiums. It's up high, so not in the QB's normal line of site.

But you would think by the 2nd half you would have figured this out.

Look I 'm sure it's much harder than any of us think, but I can't figure out why they were constantly getting to the LOS with 8 seconds on the play clock, then Drew woud walk up to the Center to change something.

I see a pattern ... time management (poor) ... money management (poor) ...

It seems like Sean gives zero value to timeouts.

Yeah, they're sort of like draft picks like that.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Payton coaches here forever, but....this could be better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom