Clues to Use, 2019 NFL Draft... (1 Viewer)

YeaSaintsWin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Mock drafts are all over tarnation!! Reviewing prognosticator predictions, fans can't tell who to believe or what to expect. Well, we know I'm no Nostradamus or Karnak, but I can give some clues to who may be atop the Saints Draft Board.

First, DT Ed Oliver may be a generational player, but the Saints don't have a Round#1 pick and I don't see them trading up for Oliver. Some fans may remember and compare Oliver to diminutive DT LaRoi Glover who still holds the Saints DL all-time record with 17 sacks in 2000. Sacks aren't everything and Glover needed his NT Norman Hand. My point, the Saints have Malcom Brown at NT and Rankins at 3T. While Rankins is on the mend, Mario Edwards can move to NT and allow Brown to pass rush from the 3T position. That gives the Saints an awfully stout interior and some push up the middle while Davenport and Jordan are coming up the field.

DT is set, but the best argument against selecting a DT was evidenced in last season. During TC, the Saints discovered two rookie DTs who could make the team. Rather than keep both players on the roster, they traded one guy to Cleveland for a 7th round pick. So, if the team wanted to infuse youth to the DL, the opportunity to add a rookie DE and two rookie DTs was last season. Instead, the Saints retained two rookies and added two young veterans this season.

Next, WR is another non-starter. Coleman, Colston, etc, etc.. the Saints have a template for WR and both Kirkwood and Smith fit the mold. Plus, the guys the young guns are pressing for playing time are already on the team, Ginn and Meredith. Austin is the "Willie Snead-Lance Moore" guy who you find as a UDFA. With the roster where it is, I don't see the Saints making the WR position younger. Adding a rookie, the Saints would need to go through what they just went through with Kirkwood and Smith last season. There will be some UDFA WRs but there may only be room on the PS.

Finally, there were some mock drafts that had the Saints drafting a DB. Von Bell and Marcus Williams are home grown and the Saints have spent time and money to support these guys with veteran DBs. This season, Kurt Coleman was released and the Saints seem very happy with their safety tandem. The Saints may draft a CB late, but there are no need to change the Saints starting DBs.

Bottom line, I'm sticking with TE/OT with the first pick.. OT/TE (whoever was not picked first) with the second pick.. LB/DE with the third pick.. DE/LB with the fourth pick.. CB/RB with the fifth pick.. and RB/CB with the sixth pick. Let's see how I do.

GO Saints!!

If there is an O-lineman close to 62 that they like I could even see them moving up to get him. Could be OT or guard.

If there is an O-lineman close to 62 that they like I could even see them moving up to get him. Could be OT or guard.

TE would be my first choice, but an OT would not be a bad thing.

OG is a luxury and here is why. The Saints have currently have Peat, Easton, Tom, Warford and Clapp, five guys, in the rotation for three positions. Easton, Tom and Clapp will battle it out for starting center. The #2 guy will be in uniform on Sunday. The #3 guy will be a healthy scratch.

The Saints have five guys on the team who can cover three interior line positions. OT has the two Armstead and Ramczyk starters and no swing OT. That swing OT is important because he needs to step up should a starter need time out of the lineup. Peat has been used, but that is not a long-term solution to swing OT because the swing OT should be capable enough to be the next starter on the OT.

OT is the priority. And they may trade up to get one.

GO Saints!!

OT or TE could definitely be the first pick, but it all depends on who falls. If BPA on the Saints board is a WR or defensive player, I don't see them passing on him. Someone like Hakeem Butler, Jerry Tillery, or Nasir Adderly.

WR?

There are many big, fast WRs in the draft but I don't see a Randy Moss among them. And there may be a WR close to MT's grit but Thomas was a 2nd round pick; so, what you are hoping for is a guy who will get the ball more than Thomas, Ginn, Meredith, Smith, and Kirkwood. I don't think that guy is in this draft.

Defense?

Jordan, Davenport, Hendrickson, Brown, Edwards, Onyemata, Stallworth, and Rankins.. that's as many DL guys as the Saints keep on the roster. Edwards can rotate between DE and DT, so the team is not really thin at the position. But they may add a vet or UDFA at DE for competition.

Davis, Klein, Anzalone, and Robertson... the top four guys at LB could use some help even though the Saints play a lot of 3-DB formations. I have the Saints selecting a LB at some point but, unless you draft them in the 1st round, LBs take a long time to develop. So, draft a guy late and put him in the classroom.

Lattimore, Apple, Robinson, Williams and Sherels... the team will have 5-6 CBs on the roster. I just listed five of them.

Williams, Bell, Banjo, and Gray... that is a list of the DBs on the final roster.

I'm not saying the Saints won't add a WR or a defender. But based on the fact that this is a playoff team with good players and a better than decent free agent period, there are very few holes left to fill.

And another thing.. what if Pick #62 is a stud TE and he is ready to start after two years. The Saints can pay him decent money because Lattimore and Ramczyk will be in their 5th year and Davenport will be in his 4th year. So, we should have the cap space.

GO Saints!!

WR?

There are many big, fast WRs in the draft but I don't see a Randy Moss among them. And there may be a WR close to MT's grit but Thomas was a 2nd round pick; so, what you are hoping for is a guy who will get the ball more than Thomas, Ginn, Meredith, Smith, and Kirkwood. I don't think that guy is in this draft.

Defense?

Jordan, Davenport, Hendrickson, Brown, Edwards, Onyemata, Stallworth, and Rankins.. that's as many DL guys as the Saints keep on the roster. Edwards can rotate between DE and DT, so the team is not really thin at the position. But they may add a vet or UDFA at DE for competition.

Davis, Klein, Anzalone, and Robertson... the top four guys at LB could use some help even though the Saints play a lot of 3-DB formations. I have the Saints selecting a LB at some point but, unless you draft them in the 1st round, LBs take a long time to develop. So, draft a guy late and put him in the classroom.

Lattimore, Apple, Robinson, Williams and Sherels... the team will have 5-6 CBs on the roster. I just listed five of them.

Williams, Bell, Banjo, and Gray... that is a list of the DBs on the final roster.

I'm not saying the Saints won't add a WR or a defender. But based on the fact that this is a playoff team with good players and a better than decent free agent period, there are very few holes left to fill.

And another thing.. what if Pick #62 is a stud TE and he is ready to start after two years. The Saints can pay him decent money because Lattimore and Ramczyk will be in their 5th year and Davenport will be in his 4th year. So, we should have the cap space.

GO Saints!!
You can say the same thing you said for TE about DL, LB, DB, and WR. What if we draft a stud who can be ready to upgrade Onyemata, Bell, Apple, or PRob/PJ on defense in a year or two? What if we could draft a WR who will be better than every one on the team not named Mike Thomas in his first or second season?

You can say the same thing you said for TE about DL, LB, DB, and WR. What if we draft a stud who can be ready to upgrade Onyemata, Bell, Apple, or PRob/PJ on defense in a year or two? What if we could draft a WR who will be better than every one on the team not named Mike Thomas in his first or second season?

There is a hugh difference between rookies and pros.

Last season the Saints run defense, anchored by the DL was a strength of a playoff team. And that Brown and Edwards are upgrades. Where would you fit a DT? Onyemata is 6-4, 300lbs of MAN and I think the Saints will give him at least as much time as they gave Akiem Hicks. Rob Ninovick with the Pats and Hicks with the Bears prove sometimes you can let them go too early.

Lattimore/Apple/PRob... for the first time the Saints can boost having three 1st Round draft picks at CB. Not only can no other team say that but there is no team in the NFL with 3 1st-Round WRs on their roster. And PJW is no slouch.

It's hard to sell me on upgrading playoff rosters through the draft but i can still be convinced. Who do you think will be available at #62 that is a better choice than a TE or OT? Who would be your player and who would they displace on the current roster?

GO Saints!!

There is a hugh difference between rookies and pros. Latt, AK, and Ram say hello!

It's hard to sell me on upgrading playoff rosters through the draft but i can still be convinced. Who do you think will be available at #62 that is a better choice than a TE or OT? Who would be your player and who would they displace on the current roster?

GO Saints!!

Currently, there is not a starting job available on our roster. If nothing unforeseen occurs, whoever we draft will be behind a player or two on the depth chart. The only exception might be at receiver. There is a chance we could draft one in this draft that climbs the depth chart early in the season. Every WR behind MT is either a question mark, or in Ginn's case "football old".

Now if you want to count rotational roles or package players as starters, (which is not all that crazy of a way to look at it), you can add Swing-OT, DE, DT, TE, Safety, and even RB to the list. Every position on that list can be be upgraded.

A Swing-OT only has to beat out Ola at the moment.
A DE only has to beat out Hendrickson
DT... uh, mmm I guess Stallworth "could" be upgraded.
TE? just gotta beat Dan Arnold.
at RB, Washington could possibly be bested by a rookie.

A rookie safety could earn meaningful snaps in certain packages. Banjo is penciled in at that spot for now.

The only roster spots "not" available on the team are QB, IOL, LB, CB, K, P, and maybe FB and LS. I guess back-up IOL and rotational lLB jobs could be had if the right player falls to us, but it's very unlikely

Currently, there is not a starting job available on our roster. If nothing unforeseen occurs, whoever we draft will be behind a player or two on the depth chart. The only exception might be at receiver. There is a chance we could draft one in this draft that climbs the depth chart early in the season. Every WR behind MT is either a question mark, or in Ginn's case "football old".

Now if you want to count rotational roles or package players as starters, (which is not all that crazy of a way to look at it), you can add Swing-OT, DE, DT, TE, Safety, and even RB to the list. Every position on that list can be be upgraded.

A Swing-OT only has to beat out Ola at the moment.
A DE only has to beat out Hendrickson
DT... uh, mmm I guess Stallworth "could" be upgraded.
TE? just gotta beat Dan Arnold.
at RB, Washington could possibly be bested by a rookie.

A rookie safety could earn meaningful snaps in certain packages. Banjo is penciled in at that spot for now.

The only roster spots "not" available on the team are QB, IOL, LB, CB, K, P, and maybe FB and LS. I guess back-up IOL and rotational lLB jobs could be had if the right player falls to us, but it's very unlikely

First, help me understand your diagnosis to use the 62nd pick to draft a rookie to challenge the 3rd-best DE or the 4th-best DT on the team? Didn't the Saints let a starting DE and DT from last year's playoff team leave in free agency? Don't you think the team already feels they have upgraded those positions?

Next, the Saints don't have a Swing-OT. If a 3rd OT was on the team, Peat would not need to move out to OT when Armstead gets injured. The 62nd pick could be a very good OT and he would need to be because he is primary depth behind starting players. Don't you think?

Finally, no one disputes how woeful the Saints TE position is. In fact, after signing Cook, the Saints have one TE and 3 guys who block. How hard would it be to upgrade TE with the 2nd-round or 5-round pick? Last off season, an un-retired TE and a converted WR who can't block or catch made the rotation. A 7th-round pick could improve TEs.

Bottom line... TE and OT are no-brainers. LB and RB rookies are special team players without much chance of starting. And every other position is a luxury with, at best, a long shot of making the team.

Heading into a draft without needing to find an impact player is a good thing. Trust me, it a very good thing.

GO Saints!!

First, help me understand your diagnosis to use the 62nd pick to draft a rookie to challenge the 3rd-best DE or the 4th-best DT on the team? Didn't the Saints let a starting DE and DT from last year's playoff team leave in free agency? Don't you think the team already feels they have upgraded those positions?

Next, the Saints don't have a Swing-OT. If a 3rd OT was on the team, Peat would not need to move out to OT when Armstead gets injured. The 62nd pick could be a very good OT and he would need to be because he is primary depth behind starting players. Don't you think?

Finally, no one disputes how woeful the Saints TE position is. In fact, after signing Cook, the Saints have one TE and 3 guys who block. How hard would it be to upgrade TE with the 2nd-round or 5-round pick? Last off season, an un-retired TE and a converted WR who can't block or catch made the rotation. A 7th-round pick could improve TEs.

Bottom line... TE and OT are no-brainers. LB and RB rookies are special team players without much chance of starting. And every other position is a luxury with, at best, a long shot of making the team.

Heading into a draft without needing to find an impact player is a good thing. Trust me, it a very good thing.

GO Saints!!

We have not upgraded the 3rd best DE or 4th best DE on the team. We upgraded the starting NT (Brown) and added a versatile defensive lineman who can take snaps at 3T and DE, but is nowhere near an upgrade over what we had last season.

Yes we let a starting DE and DT from last year's team, walk in free agency. The DT (Davison) was replaced and upgraded by Brown as stated above. If we were to draft another DT, He would either be in direct competition with Stallworth or possibly Edwards who is cheap depth until he proves otherwise. There are other possibilities to consider as well. After 2019, Onyemata and Rankins will be free agents. Rankins is going to cost star-DT money, and he'll be worth it. It just comes down to how much we can and are willing to pay for that position. Onyemata will cost less, but if he has a good year this season, his market value could increase past the point we're willing to pay without making him the starter. In other words, after this season, I don't think we can guarantee that we will be able to keep both Rankins and Onyemata. Edwards could work out and be our #2 3-tech, but it is possible we would look in this draft to find a future rotational DT.

At DE opposite Cam, we have Davenport. Last year we had Okafor and Davenport. The only notable DE we have on the roster is Hendrickson. It is very possible that he surprises us all and earns the rotational role. In a perfect world we would bring in another Okafor type for that job. That could still happen of course, but the DE position has somewhat dried up in free agency. Maybe Ansah is the answer, or maybe some 3rd tier vet. Another option would be drafting a guy to compete with Hendrickson for that role. And if we do that, it's hard to imagine finding an upgrade for Trey on day 3. Not impossible, but a lot less likely. DT and DE are both possibilities at #62.

As for swing tackle... Looking at the roster, I'd have to say that Mike Ola is penciled in for the moment. In my opinion, we need to upgrade that position before August. I think there's a chance that Bushrod returns for one more year. If not, we either have to find a guy, be it through free agency, trade, or high in the draft. And with only one pick in the first 4 rounds, we'd need to either use #62 or trade up to get another top 100 pick to find an OT that could help us there as a rookie. So OT is a possibility.

As for TE, we're actually good. Cook is one of the premier TEs in the NFL. Yes he's got some age on him, but so far it doesn't appear to be slowing him down any. Josh Hill is an inline TE and a good one. He's pretty much what you want in a TE2. Can he be upgraded by a rookie? In the passing game yes, as a blocker... probably not. This will be Dan Arnold's 2nd year at the TE position. He showed some promise and SP seems to have confidence in him, but he could be upgraded with a early round pick. If we go TE at #62, chances are, we're picking our TE for the future who can replace Arnold year one. So TE is a possibility, but it's not a dire need.

All that being said, a case can be made for safety and receiver. Our 2 starting safeties are set, but after them all we have are special teams players. The contract we gave Banjo could mean we see him being capable of playing defensive snaps. But I believe we will bring in a rotational guy that could start if needed, either through free agency or the draft. And same the positions discussed above, if it's through the draft, we'd likely need to use #62 trade back into the top 100 to be able to find a rookie that could be better than Banjo for us this year. So safety is a possibility.

At WR, I think the right guy would have to fall for us to use an early pick. A guy like Deebo maybe. A long term answer for #2 WR. If not, we may draft a day 3 guy or two to come in and compete with the bottom of the depth chart. So WR is a possibility, but only if a guy falls to us.

As far as LB is concerned, I don't believe that position is high on our list. Our starters are set and we just re-signed Robertson, who can and has given us good reps at all 3 LB positions in the past. At the moment, we don't have the depth that Te'o provided last year (if needed), but that was a luxury anyway with him being inactive most weeks, likely because he didn't add special teams value. If we go LB, I would think it would be on day 3. A guy to compete with Vince Biegel, who has proven to be a special teams demon for us. So I don't think a LB early is very likely at all.

At RB, we're set if we want to be. With Washington on the roster, we have the two rotational backs, one of which is a superstar, one a solid committee back, and Washington a good back-up. We will bring in some camp competition either on day 3 or as UDFAs. There would have to be somebody we really love to take earlier than that. Especially when it means that we'd miss out on addressing one of the positions listed above. So RB is a very very slight possibility. Very slight.

Last edited:
We have not upgraded the 3rd best DE or 4th best DE on the team. We upgraded the starting NT (Brown) and added a versatile defensive lineman who can take snaps at 3T and DE, but is nowhere near an upgrade over what we had last season.

Yes we let a starting DE and DT from last year's team, walk in free agency. The DT (Davison) was replaced and upgraded by Brown as stated above. If we were to draft another DT, He would either be in direct competition with Stallworth or possibly Edwards who is cheap depth until he proves otherwise. There are other possibilities to consider as well. After 2019, Onyemata and Rankins will be free agents. Rankins is going to cost star-DT money, and he'll be worth it. It just comes down to how much we can and are willing to pay for that position. Onyemata will cost less, but if he has a good year this season, his market value could increase past the point we're willing to pay without making him the starter. In other words, after this season, I don't think we can guarantee that we will be able to keep both Rankins and Onyemata. Edwards could work out and be our #2 3-tech, but it is possible we would look in this draft to find a future rotational DT.

At DE opposite Cam, we have Davenport. Last year we had Okafor and Davenport. The only notable DE we have on the roster is Hendrickson. It is very possible that he surprises us all and earns the rotational role. In a perfect world we would bring in another Okafor type for that job. That could still happen of course, but the DE position has somewhat dried up in free agency. Maybe Ansah is the answer, or maybe some 3rd tier vet. Another option would be drafting a guy to compete with Hendrickson for that role. And if we do that, it's hard to imagine finding an upgrade for Trey on day 3. Not impossible, but a lot less likely. DT and DE are both possibilities at #62.

As for swing tackle... Looking at the roster, I'd have to say that Mike Ola is penciled in for the moment. In my opinion, we need to upgrade that position before August. I think there's a chance that Bushrod returns for one more year. If not, we either have to find a guy, be it through free agency, trade, or high in the draft. And with only one pick in the first 4 rounds, we'd need to either use #62 or trade up to get another top 100 pick to find an OT that could help us there as a rookie. So OT is a possibility.

As for TE, we're actually good. Cook is one of the premier TEs in the NFL. Yes he's got some age on him, but so far it doesn't appear to be slowing him down any. Josh Hill is an inline TE and a good one. He's pretty much what you want in a TE2. Can he be upgraded by a rookie? In the passing game yes, as a blocker... probably not. This will be Dan Arnold's 2nd year at the TE position. He showed some promise and SP seems to have confidence in him, but he could be upgraded with a early round pick. If we go TE at #62, chances are, we're picking our TE for the future who can replace Arnold year one. So TE is a possibility, but it's not a dire need.

All that being said, a case can be made for safety and receiver. Our 2 starting safeties are set, but after them all we have are special teams players. The contract we gave Banjo could mean we see him being capable of playing defensive snaps. But I believe we will bring in a rotational guy that could start if needed, either through free agency or the draft. And same the positions discussed above, if it's through the draft, we'd likely need to use #62 trade back into the top 100 to be able to find a rookie that could be better than Banjo for us this year. So safety is a possibility.

At WR, I think the right guy would have to fall for us to use an early pick. A guy like Deebo maybe. A long term answer for #2 WR. If not, we may draft a day 3 guy or two to come in and compete with the bottom of the depth chart. So WR is a possibility, but only if a guy falls to us.

As far as LB is concerned, I don't believe that position is high on our list. Our starters are set and we just re-signed Robertson, who can and has given us good reps at all 3 LB positions in the past. At the moment, we don't have the depth that Te'o provided last year (if needed), but that was a luxury anyway with him being inactive most weeks, likely because he didn't add special teams value. If we go LB, I would think it would be on day 3. A guy to compete with Vince Biegel, who has proven to be a special teams demon for us. So I don't think a LB early is very likely at all.

At RB, we're set if we want to be. With Washington on the roster, we have the two rotational backs, one of which is a superstar, one a solid committee back, and Washington a good back-up. We will bring in some camp competition either on day 3 or as UDFAs. There would have to be somebody we really love to take earlier than that. Especially when it means that we'd miss out on addressing one of the positions listed above. So RB is a very very slight possibility. Very slight.

Very well done but, sorry, you didn't make your point. In fact, you made a great point for taking a TE or OT at #62. I'll make this quick and use the "Top-5" argument as my basis.

Let's assume the experts' consensus Top-5 Players are BPA at whatever team is selecting. We can agree that not all teams will select a team "need" but selecting a Top-5 player should give you a solid player at that position. That works, but a T-5 QB wouldn't play a down for the Saints... a T-5 K would not kick a kick for the Saints... a T-5 CB, DB, DE, LB, RB, and FB would find it hard to get playing time except with special teams. However, for a T-5 TE or OT, those positions are legitimately competing for significant playing time as rookies.

This will the the 2nd year the Saints have worked hard to find a TE in the draft. And, if a T-5 TE drops to #62, there will be no hesitation from the Saints. Most would agree, the TE room needs help and this draft is a prime opportunity to add talent.

Likewise, if a T-5 OT is available at #62, a Saints representative will be running to the podium to select him. Consider this, Andre Dillard might not crack the starting OL for the Saints this year but, if Dillard gets to Pick #50, the Saints would be calling to trade up. And, don't be surprised if the Saints select a T-10 OT at #62.

I still feel WR is a luxury, but a T-5 guy might force Ginn into retirement and push TQS. But last season Smith was making circus catches all through TC. And, if T-5 can't compete with "Circus-Catching" Smith in TC, then he ain't playing on Sunday.

Bottom line.. don't let "BPA" fool you. Teams are focusing in on their "guy" whether others consider the player is the BPA or not. The way the draft works is teams with the biggest needs get first shot at unproven players. The fact that the Saints won't be picking till late is a tribute to the team's success.

The goal should be to add youth and skill to the TE position and a swing OT who could develop into a starter. And, if the BPA at #62 is the #1 RB in the draft, the Saints won't be drafting him.

GO Saints!!

BPA all the way, aint no logic applicable

If the BPA at #62 is the #1 RB in the draft, the Saints won't be drafting him. In fact, the 5th best RB in the draft could easily fall to late in the 4th Round. If every team or any team is selecting BPA, how does a stud RB fall so far?

With DLawrence and Quinn, do you think the CowBelles are taking a DE? If a team needs a QB and they draft the #1 rated QB, should the #2 or #3 fall to them later in the draft and he is the BPA, you think they would take a second QB?

"BPA" is the highest rated player on team draft board. And the team draft board is designed to consider team "needs" in the player ranking. Don't get it twisted.

GO Saints!!

If the BPA at #62 is the #1 RB in the draft, the Saints won't be drafting him. In fact, the 5th best RB in the draft could easily fall to late in the 4th Round. If every team or any team is selecting BPA, how does a stud RB fall so far?

With DLawrence and Quinn, do you think the CowBelles are taking a DE? If a team needs a QB and they draft the #1 rated QB, should the #2 or #3 fall to them later in the draft and he is the BPA, you think they would take a second QB?

"BPA" is the highest rated player on team draft board. And the team draft board is designed to consider team "needs" in the player ranking. Don't get it twisted.

GO Saints!!
The Saints are the same team that drafted Vonn Bell in round 2 with Vaccaro on the roster. They traded up for Davenport with Jordan and Okafor as starters. They drafted Rankins with Fairley and Davison as starters. They drafted Thomas with Colston, Cooks, and Snead. They drafted Peat with Armstead and Strief. They have shown that they will draft the best player even when most fans don't consider the position a need.

The Saints are the same team that drafted Vonn Bell in round 2 with Vaccaro on the roster. They traded up for Davenport with Jordan and Okafor as starters. They drafted Rankins with Fairley and Davison as starters. They drafted Thomas with Colston, Cooks, and Snead. They drafted Peat with Armstead and Strief. They have shown that they will draft the best player even when most fans don't consider the position a need.

Good points.. allow me to show you what I saw.

Vaccaro struggled covering TEs and Slot WRs.. At best, Vaccaro was a under-sized Will LB (and still is) who is a liability in pass defense.. Bell was an upgrade who better fit the scheme of the defense.. Bell was not only the BPA, DB was a team need..

Okafor experienced an injury and was never going to be a the QB-pressuring DE the Saints had been looking for.. they tried him, but didn't like him and the back-end was suffering without pressure on opposing QBs.. Davenport was considered raw but a generational player at his position.. analyst considered Davenport a reach when the Saints traded up and selected him, so the might not been the BPA but, for the Saints, Davenport filled a need.

Fairley was once teamed with Suh in Detroit and was a beast at 3T. He lived up to the hype and was extended after his "prove-it" deal with the Saints. Davison was always a one-dimensional player. Rankins was an opportunity to add pass rush to the DL. Fairley would have shifted to NT (he played well there, too) Rankins would have displaced Davison and that would have been that. But, Fairley had the medical issue and Davison survived till this season. Basically, Stallworth replaced Davison as a run-stopping DT. With Stallworth, the Saints would add Brown who can play 3T and NT and Edwards who can play DE and DT.

Colston was at the end of his career and he held off retirement while the Saints searched for his successor, enter MT who fell to the Saints in the 2nd Round.. Cooks was not the big-WR the Saints wanted but he provided the element to stretch the field (Ginn, a veteran, replaced Cooks).. Lance Moore was replaced by Snead who was replaced by Cam Meredith, the big-WR type the Saints like..

Peat was drafted as an upgrade to Strief, but Peat couldn't play RT.. The Saints needed to help Strief with chips from the TE or Brees would've gotten killed.. Strief had to stay on until the Saints had a top-rated OT (Ramczyk) fall to a position where they could trade up to select him.. In his rookie year, Ramczyk displaced Strief. The aggressive trade up showed OT wasn't just the BPA, it was a team need.

Long but necessary..

GO Saints!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom