CNN Analyst Calls Out Fox Contributor for His White Privilege. He's Black. (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
Off hand, I'd compare this to trumping your partner's ace. Oops! :haha-rire-395:
My purpose in posting this is to share a good laugh. :elefant:

- dd

The gaffe occurred on David Webb's Sirius XM radio show, according to the Washington Post.

Webb: “I’ve chosen to cross different parts of the media world, done the work so that I’m qualified to be in each one; I never considered my color the issue; I considered my qualifications the issue.”

Martin: “Well, David, that’s a whole other long conversation about white privilege, the things that you have the privilege of doing, that people of color don’t have the privilege of.”

Webb: “How do I have the privilege of white privilege?"

Martin: “David, by virtue of being a white male you have white privilege. This whole long conversation, I don’t have time to get into — ”

Webb: “Areva, I hate to break it to you, but you should’ve been better prepped. I’m black."

1547610339233.png
Martin Webb

After Martin repeatedly apologized, Webb continued:

“You’re talking to a black man . . . who started out in rock radio in Boston, who crossed the paths into hip-hop, rebuilding one of the greatest black stations in America and went on to work at Fox News where I’m told apparently blacks aren’t supposed to work, but yet, you come with this assumption, and you go to white privilege. “That’s actually insulting.”

No formal apology has been issued at this point.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2019/01/15/cnn-analyst-called-out-fox-news-contributor-his-white-privilege-hes-black/?utm_term=.5f15a121f634

Last edited:

donato

Regal Beagle V.I.P.
Reaction score
I don't understand the last sentence. First you say he repeatedly apologized, then end your post with, "no formal apology has been issued". If he already apologized "repeatedly", then why does a formal apology need to be issued?

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
I don't understand the last sentence. First you say he repeatedly apologized, then end your post with, "no formal apology has been issued". If he already apologized "repeatedly", then why does a formal apology need to be issued?
The person making the gaffe was a woman, not a man.
The formal apology line came from the Washington Post piece.
Normally, in a mistake of this magnitude, the news company would issue a formal apology.

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
Hmmm. The Washington Post piece says:
Martin has not publicly acknowledged the incident. A spokeswoman for Martin declined to comment.
The formal apology part must've been have in one of the Google News blurbs I browsed.
Good to see you again, Donato!

-dd

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So in the last week we had Steve King defend white supremacy, the president allude once again that immigrants are criminals and a threat to our safety, a member of the Proud Boys stab someone in the face, a racist attack of a Muslim on a train, and while absent that entire time, DD shows up to troll racial concerns in society by asking everyone to laugh at a Civil Rights attorney that had an admittedly boneheaded gotcha moment and incorrectly presumed white privilege in a conversation....telling.

Last edited:

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
So in the last week we had Steve King defend white supremacy, the president allude once again that immigrants are criminals and a threat to our safety, a member of the Proud Boys stab someone in the face, a racist attack of a Muslim on a train, and while absent that entire time, DD shows up to troll racial concerns in society by asking everyone to laugh at a woman that had a gotcha moment and presumed white privilege....telling.
DD must have forgotten that rule that only the idiocy done by the right can be pointed out.

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
DD must have forgotten that rule that only the idiocy done by the right can be pointed out.
No one is censoring DD, he's free to make whatever thread he wants(I would assume within mod boundaries). I'm also free to make some simple observations about where he puts his effort in on political matters these days(trolling civil rights attorney's for gaffes about demonstrable problems in American society for one).

When your effort seems to be toward punching down toward those that have a slip up, asking everyone to join in ridiculing them, while you stand notably absent when actual injustices are happening that validate the underlying concerns the person that incorrectly presumed in this instance are rooted in, it is telling. Same goes for those that look to defend them as a natural reaction.

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
No one is censoring DD, he's free to make whatever thread he wants(I would assume within mod boundaries). I'm also free to make some simple observations about where he puts his effort in on political matters these days(trolling civil rights attorney's for gaffes about demonstrable problems in American society for one).

When your effort seems to be toward punching down toward those that have a slip up, asking everyone to join in ridiculing them, while you stand notably absent when actual injustices are happening that validate the underlying concerns the person that incorrectly presumed in this instance are rooted in, it is telling. Same goes for those that look to defend them as a natural reaction.
Your post had nothing to do with the subject of the story, but rather whine that DD posted it.

Saint_Ward

The Great Eye is ever Watchful
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Gotta do your homework when you do radio. I do think people should be slower with the labels or insults.

Honest mistake. The lady will get a lot of crap for it, and it's deserved.

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Your post had nothing to do with the subject of the story, but rather whine that DD posted it.
The subject of the thread was laid out by DD in his own words: let's all pile on and laugh at this civil rights lawyer's gaffe. It’s a substance-less, empty thread.

There wasn't some larger point he offered, just the nudge that we should all shame and laugh at this civil rights attorney for making an error in judgement. Gaffes are made every day, but he chose this one. In a particularly racially charged week no less. Where his presence, much like it has been for the ten years I've known him, was absent.

A poster who's history includes threads and posts defending homophobia, anti-islamism, anti-affirmative action, conflating democrats to terrorists, and not a single pro social justice thread in the 10 years I have witnessed him on this board....But he had the mind to troll a civil rights lawyer for some reason and ask everyone to come along. And you have the mind to come to his defense...Such are things though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
Gotta do your homework when you do radio. I do think people should be slower with the labels or insults.

Honest mistake. The lady will get a lot of crap for it, and it's deserved.
I once reported in the Shreveport Times that the wrong person had won a seat on the Arcadia, LA town council.

Their names,were something like Darrell M. Johnston and Donald M. Johnson.

Until ypu make a mistake in an 80,000 per day circulation paper and your boss has to do a retraction and correction, you don't really appreciate the impact you have.

At the Arcadia Town Coincil meeting, I had to go personally apologise aftter the swearing in and make sure the winner got a copy of the retraction. That was my penance. It's a tough business.

The councilman was nice. He shook my hand and told me I was young and to get it right from then on. I was in my early 20s.

-dd

Last edited:

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
On the one hand, she screwed up in an embarrassing way. That happens.

But I actually agree there is an important discussion that should come from her misstep, and the reminder of the importance of not being so cavalier about issues we should be having meaningful conversations around. Our nation was founded in, and evolved from, white nationalism. It's ignorance to pretend there aren't still significant lingering effects from that. But if you want to be a credible ambassador, engage in this dialogue responsibly. There's already a large audience who is turned off to the issue of race, this just bolsters the opposition and makes the load heavier for others.

I hope she's ashamed of this moment and can figure out how to atone for the absurdity of her assumptions. This kind of careless, attention-grabbing accusation is damaging and it would be naive to not recognize that.

brandon8283

Probably a drive-by
Reaction score
Come on, my leftist brethren. We can just admit here that she messed up pretty badly. Whatabouts are just as bad when they come from our side.

But if you listen to the recording, she immediately said "I stand corrected." It's not an apology, but that's clearly an admission of being wrong. It's not that big of a deal. She's gonna catch flak for it, and rightly so. But it's just not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Twitter

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom