CNN Analyst Calls Out Fox Contributor for His White Privilege. He's Black. (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Off hand, I'd compare this to trumping your partner's ace. Oops! :haha-rire-395:
My purpose in posting this is to share a good laugh. :elefant:

- dd

The gaffe occurred on David Webb's Sirius XM radio show, according to the Washington Post.

Webb: “I’ve chosen to cross different parts of the media world, done the work so that I’m qualified to be in each one; I never considered my color the issue; I considered my qualifications the issue.”

Martin: “Well, David, that’s a whole other long conversation about white privilege, the things that you have the privilege of doing, that people of color don’t have the privilege of.”

Webb: “How do I have the privilege of white privilege?"

Martin: “David, by virtue of being a white male you have white privilege. This whole long conversation, I don’t have time to get into — ”

Webb: “Areva, I hate to break it to you, but you should’ve been better prepped. I’m black."

1547610339233.png
Martin Webb

After Martin repeatedly apologized, Webb continued:

“You’re talking to a black man . . . who started out in rock radio in Boston, who crossed the paths into hip-hop, rebuilding one of the greatest black stations in America and went on to work at Fox News where I’m told apparently blacks aren’t supposed to work, but yet, you come with this assumption, and you go to white privilege. “That’s actually insulting.”

No formal apology has been issued at this point.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2019/01/15/cnn-analyst-called-out-fox-news-contributor-his-white-privilege-hes-black/?utm_term=.5f15a121f634

Last edited:

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I hope she's ashamed of this moment and can figure out how to atone for the absurdity of her assumptions. This kind of careless, attention-grabbing accusation is damaging and it would be naive to not recognize that.
I wish I could believe that's what this thread was created to spur a discussion on more than the obvious reason of, "Hey, everyone, point and laugh at this stupid Liberal!"

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Come on, my leftist brethren. We can just admit here that she messed up pretty badly. Whatabouts are just as bad when they come from our side.

But if you listen to the recording, she immediately said "I stand corrected." It's not an apology, but that's clearly an admission of being wrong. It's not that big of a deal. She's gonna catch flak for it, and rightly so. But it's just not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.
There's already a lot of people who don't want to hear anything about race. We read it often on this site. Many of them are a lost cause who probably aren't going to experience a change of heart.

But there are still others who might listen...and moments like this erode credibility. Look, I don't, at all, think this ranks above a lot of what else is going on, but her careless rush to judgment is harmful. A lot of the people who are offended by this aren't going to give two squirts about Steve King, and that is glaringly symptomatic of why we even have to still have these discussions, but she didn't just embarrass herself, she gave a little more ammunition to people who are already looking for it wherever they can find it.

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I wish I could believe that's what this thread was created to spur a discussion on more than the obvious reason of, "Hey, everyone, point and laugh at this stupid Liberal!"
Oh, I know.

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
I summarized my feelings about the topic of "white privilege" in the Why do White People Call the Cops thread.
This CNN analyst is a perfect example of the labeling I was talking about.
I'm going to repost my thoughts here and, after much consideration, I've decided to post a picture of my high school classmates so everybody will "get" what I'm saying.

-dd

Hi, Richard. It's a pleasure, as always.

My version of the issue you're raising deals with labeling and categorizing people rather than acknowledging and getting to know them as individuals.
These days, people are quick to label someone by race, gender, age, who they voted for, what part of the country they live in and litmus test issues like abortion, gay marriage, and (gasp!) non-gender-specific restrooms.

Social media certainly drives this labeling. But choosing to include or exclude people based on these labels is something being done by individuals and people who self-identify as groups.

We've taken the old Protestant practice of "shunning" and turned it into an Internet-driven bludgeon.

You know, we moved nine times my first seven years in school. Being the new kid on the block that many times, I got a good taste of shunning, exclusion, and just plain getting my azz whipped because I talked differently or my clothes weren't right. Imagine speaking in a Mississippi hill twang at Woodlawn, Baton Rouge!

Somehow, I thought it had to do with growing up poor in small towns across Mississippi and Louisiana and things would get better. I never thought I'd see the same kind of behaviors manifest themselves in a futuristic high-tech virtual world.

It's popular now to point a virtual finger and paint people as being raised with privilege based on their race. I sigh, close my eyes and remember having one pair of cutoff jeans, a T-shirt and no shoes to last the entire summer in Baker . . . Natchez . . .Yazoo City . . . Monroe . . . the list is long.

I feel that labeling and categorizing people is a methodology used primarily to discredit, disrespect and dismiss people as individuals.

Richard, I'm going to concur with what you're saying. You remain a voice of calm and reason, as ever.

Thanks.
-dd

EDIT: Image removed by OP.

Last edited:

SWJJ

Stop Resisting!
Reaction score
She should have just said Male privilege.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. She made a faux pas, and is probably catching hell for it.

It proof for DD's point about the left being too ready with labels. I don't think his post is "piling on."

just my take.

Last edited:

brandon8283

Probably a drive-by
Reaction score
Here's what I do take issue with: the notion that because this one lady made a stupid mistake, that white privilege is merely a liberal construct.

It's not.

Saintamaniac

Purple & Gold for Life
Reaction score
Here's what I do take issue with: the notion that because this one lady made a stupid mistake, that white privilege is merely a liberal construct.

It's not.
If you take the OP at face value, it is a mistake that made someone look extremely foolish. It really should just end there if there wasn't a history behind some posts by the OP.

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If he had not corrected her so soon, she may have ended up calling him a Racist too.

That's usually what happens next..

People are too quick to label others.

Last edited:

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There's already a lot of people who don't want to hear anything about race. We read it often on this site. Many of them are a lost cause who probably aren't going to experience a change of heart.

But there are still others who might listen...and moments like this erode credibility. Look, I don't, at all, think this ranks above a lot of what else is going on, but her careless rush to judgment is harmful. A lot of the people who are offended by this aren't going to give two squirts about Steve King, and that is glaringly symptomatic of why we even have to still have these discussions, but she didn't just embarrass herself, she gave a little more ammunition to people who are already looking for it wherever they can find it.
Honestly, from my perspective/experience, if stories like this impact your willingness to acknowledge white privilege and racial inequality, in all likelihood you honestly weren't going to be convinced anyways imo. Because the evidence of it's existence and continual impact is overwhelming, and those engaging in a bit of over-indulgence and condemnable righteous indignation toward social jusitice issues still remains dwarfed by the amount of far more harmful manifestations of societal, historical, and systemic prejudice. So if you are being persuaded to come down on the other side by this, you were almost certainly already on or looking to be on that side anyways imo.

Which is part of what makes this thread so childish and borderline sinister.

There is no attempt at a dialogue, no real discussion point being asked to hash out, it's merely a white male with a history of borderline prejudicial and social insensitivity over the years asking everyone to point at a civil rights lawyer and laugh at her for making a gaffe amidst a week of incidents that more than justify this sort of aggrieved sentiment within American society. And it is telling how our society treats misplaced racist accusations relative to actual racism. A minority makes a slip up or controversial statement and it gets this sort of outsize coverage(see this incident or Rashida Tlaib's comments) and people like DD jumping to shame them, while people like Tucker and Trump are making false accusations by the metric ton, statements that are far more egregious and consequential while stoking white nationalist sentiment and dog whistling on a nightly basis while major fortune 500 companies donate to their causes directly or through proxy....Steve King is out here defending white supremacy and reporters are scared to label it racist.

Like yeah, in isolation, shame on her. In context, shame on us for elevating this sort of nothingness to the level of social catastrophe and using this to try and shoehorn in a ridiculous, dismissive inference that the real problem is not white privilege but people mentioning it's existence and ascribing it in the real world(I'm looking at your anecdote DD).

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Uncle Toms benefit from white privilege, so I think her comment was accurate.
I don't think it's helpful to label this gentleman an Uncle Tom just because he's conservative and is employed by Fox News. People of the same race can have different experiences in life, it doesn't all have to be negative. And just because it has been positive for him, it doesn't mean that it was given to him because he went along with a white supremacist agenda.

The host of the program should have been better prepared for the interview. She erred in not knowing her guest. Beyond that, it was wrong to throw out white privilege and accuse him of it, without first having a more in depth conversation, even if he was white.

Having said that, it doesn't negate the reality of white privilege, even if some don't experience it. Individual experiences shouldn't be discounted, but they are anecdotal. We have a lot of studies, data, facts and experience that point to it's existence.

Obviously, conservative will love this and get a lot of fodder out of it, but it doesn't really change anything.

Last edited:

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The purpose of shining a lot on any issue is to win over minds, and discipline is important to the success of messaging. White privilege maintains an ingrained presence in our society, and is an issue that also happens to face an extremely uphill battle in the fight to gain understanding. When somebody makes public remarks that turn the issue into the punchline of jokes, and an easy target for blowback, that's damaging to credibility. Not just hers, in this case, but the idea, as well. I don't mean to suggest this lone incident moves the needle markedly by itself, but it adds to an existing belief that white privilege is nonsense. Everything is already now a battle to filter fact from fiction, forever memorialized in memes, without carelessly serving up actual stupidity on a silver platter.

I also think it's important that we are able to acknowledge screw ups, and the potential harm they can cause, without bias to who is at fault.

I never assumed my interest in this discussion paralleled the OP's, and I'm not participating to give validation to his reason for starting the thread. For him, it is a laughing matter, for me, it's an opportunity for meaningful consideration about an issue that I think is important.

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Also, N.O. Bronco, while we have some differences of opinion about this one, I think you make some valid points. I'm not in complete disagreement with you at all.

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The purpose of shining a lot on any issue is to win over minds, and discipline is important to the success of messaging. White privilege maintains an ingrained presence in our society, and is an issue that also happens to face an extremely uphill battle in the fight to gain understanding. When somebody makes public remarks that turn the issue into the punchline of jokes, and an easy target for blowback, that's damaging to credibility. Not just hers, in this case, but the idea, as well. I don't mean to suggest this lone incident moves the needle markedly by itself, but it adds to an existing belief that white privilege is nonsense. Everything is already now a battle to filter fact from fiction, forever memorialized in memes, without carelessly serving up actual stupidity on a silver platter.

I also think it's important that we are able to acknowledge screw ups, and the potential harm they can cause, without bias to who is at fault.

I never assumed my interest in this discussion paralleled the OP's, and I'm not participating to give validation to his reason for starting the thread. For him, it is a laughing matter, for me, it's an opportunity for meaningful consideration about an issue that I think is important.
I'm not dismissing the value in messaging or persuasion, lets make sure I make that clear, it's a vital component to the very fabric of our democratic-republic. And sometimes bluntness is required to make that point. Not necessarily to the person directly, but to the larger discussion at hand, otherwise the same vicious cycels just perpetuate.

As there is something much needed to say that often in these specific instances around social inequity, the overarching concern is not with those weaponizing bad faith approaches to real problems in pursuit of an immoral social stasis, but in signaling our own objectivity by condemning those making small errors far more harshly than we would in other situations, all while ignoring those that are acting immorally and disingenuously as if doing so is a laudable virtue(often shaming others who would dare bring their role into the situation at all). Which is itself indicative of the larger problem I am speaking about. Which is how we disproportionately treat these incidents relative to one another and the way incidents like this are used and confronted in American society. This is a single woman making a single gaffe within the context of a pressing social issue, latched on by people that have never shown an inkling of good faith, demanding a pound of flesh, given outsize ridicule, being mindlessly rolled into discrediting larger narratives and groups(See DD's use of this thread), and treated as de-legitimizing to a larger cause that exists separate of their rhetoric. And the response of fair minded people in almost no other space is to instead of calling to carpet those poisoning the situation, it's to rush to chastise those that slip up at the center of spreading this poison and pretend all that surrounding stuff isn't going on. We are complex creatures, there is room to condemn this woman AND those weaponizing incidents like this to muffle those asking for fair social and economic treatment.

Reaction score
If he had not corrected her so soon, she may have ended up calling him a Racist too.

That's usually what happens next..

People are too quick to label others.
Irony check on you labeling her while admonishing her for probably labeling someone if given time.

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
Thank you all for your thoughts, ideas and responses.

I still maintain what I said in Post #20 above and while some may dismiss it as anecdotal, from my perspective it is an honest, heart-felt sharing of experience. It's not an anecdote, it's my life. We miss out on so much if we label and categorize and dismiss a person, rather than considering them as individuals. Heck, look at Drew Brees if you don't believe that!

Regarding the original post and topic, honestly ask yourself: Would this gaffe would have even appeared on this board if I hadn't posted it?

I waited while the story kept trending up and up on Google News. Nothing. So I took a chance and tried to add some levity. SOMEBODY had to post it, right? Well, no you can just ignore it and it'll go away like Futurama's brain slugs. You know, I think it's time to consider whether playing ostrich in the sand and compartmentalizing news didn't lead directly to putting Trump in the White House.

Throughout our history, American political commentary has always been rife with wry observations, wit, candor, satire and irony . . . . unless you're some poly sci prof who thinks everything has to be all serious all the time like a classroom.

Seriously, some of y'all need to lighten up.

Which brings us to David Webb's commentaries today about yesterday's gaffe:

“There is no such thing as white privilege,” Webb said Wednesday morning on “Fox & Friends.”

(and)

“Our skin… doesn’t think, it doesn’t formulate ideas. Let’s look at it that way and go back to the ideas in our head, the ideas in our mind and the things we need to discuss,” Webb said.

Webb said he invited Martin back on his Sirius XM program to have a longer conversation about white privilege before pointing out that things would be different if this happened to a liberal.

“It would be, calls for firing, they would be pressuring advertisers. The machine on the left would have gone into full-blown action,” Webb said. “They would have demanded that I be thrown off Fox.”

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/david-webb-rips-cnn-analyst-who-accused-him-of-white-privilege-for-defaulting-to-easy-false-narrative

Just think how one-sided it would be if we never posted threads like this one. You're welcome.

-dd

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Twitter

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom