CNN Analyst Calls Out Fox Contributor for His White Privilege. He's Black. (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Ratings
Sticky Post
Off hand, I'd compare this to trumping your partner's ace. Oops! :haha-rire-395:
My purpose in posting this is to share a good laugh. :elefant:

- dd

The gaffe occurred on David Webb's Sirius XM radio show, according to the Washington Post.

Webb: “I’ve chosen to cross different parts of the media world, done the work so that I’m qualified to be in each one; I never considered my color the issue; I considered my qualifications the issue.”

Martin: “Well, David, that’s a whole other long conversation about white privilege, the things that you have the privilege of doing, that people of color don’t have the privilege of.”

Webb: “How do I have the privilege of white privilege?"

Martin: “David, by virtue of being a white male you have white privilege. This whole long conversation, I don’t have time to get into — ”

Webb: “Areva, I hate to break it to you, but you should’ve been better prepped. I’m black."

1547610339233.png
Martin Webb

After Martin repeatedly apologized, Webb continued:

“You’re talking to a black man . . . who started out in rock radio in Boston, who crossed the paths into hip-hop, rebuilding one of the greatest black stations in America and went on to work at Fox News where I’m told apparently blacks aren’t supposed to work, but yet, you come with this assumption, and you go to white privilege. “That’s actually insulting.”

No formal apology has been issued at this point.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts...e-privilege-hes-black/?utm_term=.5f15a121f634

Last edited:

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Which brings us to David Webb's commentaries today about yesterday's gaffe:

“There is no such thing as white privilege,” Webb said Wednesday morning on “Fox & Friends.”

(and)

“Our skin… doesn’t think, it doesn’t formulate ideas. Let’s look at it that way and go back to the ideas in our head, the ideas in our mind and the things we need to discuss,” Webb said.
So because one successful black man feels that way, it makes it so and means that there isn't white privilege?

This is why people roll there eyes with stuff like this. It's always some "See, see see ... I told you so".

No different that the fascination with Bill Cosby before he was outed as a rapist when he was telling all the black kids to pull up their pants.

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Unfortunately DD, society has not and does not abide by those ideals, and history does not have a short memory with regards to the legacy of harms directed at minority communities, in particular black ones. For instance I would be interested in your answer to this question, for every dollar the average white person has in personal wealth, how much does the average black person have?

I more than welcome healthy debate and constructive alternate viewpoints, asking people to ridicule a civil rights lawyer because she made an error in judgment is hardly that though. Nor is cherry-picking baseless assertions and a offering a random anecdote as, I can only inference, toward the position that white privilege doesn't exist.

But more than anything, I just hate the intellectual cowardice, if you want to say white privilege doesn't exist, or that black people should just suck it up because they have as good a chance as their fellow white man, just say it and defend it. This pageantry is really unnecessary.

Last edited:

Tapxe

Coalescing the vapors of human existence
Ratings
So because one successful black man feels that way, it makes it so and means that there isn't white privilege?

This is why people roll there eyes with stuff like this. It's always some "See, see see ... I told you so".

No different that the fascination with Bill Cosby before he was outed as a rapist when he was telling all the black kids to pull up their pants.
It immediately struck me that the man may be black, but perhaps he grew up with means and in an area which afforded him more privilege than less fortunate blacks.

I will say tho, that I think it is likely an overlooked scenario that many whites grow up very under privileged as well. I think we need to move away from categorizing this on the basis of race and more towards economic privilege.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Ratings
On the one hand, she screwed up in an embarrassing way. That happens.

But I actually agree there is an important discussion that should come from her misstep, and the reminder of the importance of not being so cavalier about issues we should be having meaningful conversations around. Our nation was founded in, and evolved from, white nationalism. It's ignorance to pretend there aren't still significant lingering effects from that. But if you want to be a credible ambassador, engage in this dialogue responsibly. There's already a large audience who is turned off to the issue of race, this just bolsters the opposition and makes the load heavier for others.

I hope she's ashamed of this moment and can figure out how to atone for the absurdity of her assumptions. This kind of careless, attention-grabbing accusation is damaging and it would be naive to not recognize that.
I love you and I love your considered posts.

I, however, would like to point out that for those who are feigning indignation over this issue I'm noting most of them are Trump supporters. I enjoy knowing that were in today's climate I'm proud to know an apology was made because were the error to have been the fault of a Trump or Trumpster, it's likely it would have been defended as fake news or nothing of note.

In that spirit, I might have enjoyed hearing her shift to low gear and tell him that he is an uncle Tom, but I'm not DavidM, am I?

Moderator #38

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Ratings
I, however, would like to point out that for those who are feigning indignation over this issue I'm noting most of them are Trump supporters.
Important distinction regarding the criticism of her - I don't want her and likeminded to make these kinds of mistakes, they do. I'm concerned about the damage that can be done, they welcome it.

And back at ya, pal.

Moderator #40

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Ratings
But I actually agree there is an important discussion that should come from her misstep, and the reminder of the importance of not being so cavalier about issues we should be having meaningful conversations around.
Ah! I should have written, "But I actually believe there is an important discussion..."

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest that I ever thought that was the original purpose of this thread. My bad.

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Ratings
Regarding the original post and topic, honestly ask yourself: Would this gaffe would have even appeared on this board if I hadn't posted it?
No Dads, you are correct.. Had you not brought this up... No one else would have... ANd that's a fact...

I, however, would like to point out that for those who are feigning indignation over this issue I'm noting most of them are Trump supporters.

BWWWAAAHHHAAAA... This is a thread about a CNN reporter not having her facts right, and on the losing end of a debate cuts to personal attacking by saying a Black Man has White Privilege... and dtc starts blaming Trump... bwwwaahhhaaa...

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Ratings
What about this story is worthy of a thread exactly? More specifically, what vital information does this story contain that it’s absence is raising the collective ignorance of this community? Keeping us unenlightened about something? Not facing hard truths?

What specifically did this story illustrate that warrants this thread Joe?

DD seemingly made this thread as a lazy way to try and discredit a certain sect of social activists and the idea of white privilege without coming out and saying it, instead using a gaffe from a civil rights attorney as an initial ad hominem to eventually get to that inference...is that your read as well? Is that what you think was necessary to bring to this board’s attention?

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Ratings
Bronco.. The discussion of this was Not About White Privilege...

It's about a National Reporter for CNN falsely accusing someone with Racial overtones... and she was completely Wrong.. Where is Truthful Journalism now? If a CNN reporter on a national level insinuates racism falsely and freely, then us here behind a keyboard with fake names don't stand a chance.

ANd there was absolutely zero reason to have brought Trump up in this thread. None whatsoever.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Ratings
Ah! I should have written, "But I actually believe there is an important discussion..."

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest that I ever thought that was the original purpose of this thread. My bad.
Hi DavidM, oh alumni brother of mine. (y)

Infer? Uhhh, you meant imply, right? :)

-dd

Everybody else,

Thank you again for all your thoughtful responses. Let me suggest that we please try to spend a larger percentage of our responses actually on-topic, rather than speculating about why somebody posted. Very tiresome. Thanks.

After all, this is a politics board on a football website, not some sophomoric intro to debate class or a smack board run by some political action committee.

Time for me to dig into job searching to meet state unemployment requirements to supplement my income. Yeah, sequestration bites.

Then, it's time to unplug and begin my playoff game preparations! Oh, yeah!

Charlie B - Hella-yeah, how 'bout that Lattimore! Hope he does it to the Rams again too.

Who Dat!

-dd

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Ratings
No Dads, you are correct.. Had you not brought this up... No one else would have... ANd that's a fact...

BWWWAAAHHHAAAA... This is a thread about a CNN reporter not having her facts right, and on the losing end of a debate cuts to personal attacking by saying a Black Man has White Privilege... and dtc starts blaming Trump... bwwwaahhhaaa...
I'm not blaming Trump and I didn't attack anyone. I pointed out a coincidence.

Oye

shopgirl's metaphysic
VIP Contributor
Ratings
If a CNN reporter on a national level insinuates racism falsely and freely, then us here behind a keyboard with fake names don't stand a chance.
this isn't racism. What she did was lazy, incorrect, foolish, and unprofessional. It's also counterproductive to actual, necessary discussions around the experiential imbalance of the day to day life of people based on (among other things) ethnicity.

But it wasn't an allegation of racism.

That's the second time in this thread alone you've introduced this specific thing and the umpteenth time you've done it on the boards - claim that someone is accusing you of racism when they haven't or, in this case and previous ones, say that racism would have been accused in some hypothetical scenario or eventuality that exists in your mind.

And it always comes down to you having to be a victim of being called a racist when you aren't.

I don't get your need to be a victim of this to the point you keep having to imagine it.

If it happens, that's one thing. But it seems to *actually* happen a helluva lot less than you claiming it happens or saying it happens or imagine it happens or say it would happen or say it's gonna happen.

If the roles were reversed, you'd probably call this 'playing the race card' - but the reality is that you continue to play a race card yourself.

There isn't just one type in the deck

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Bronco.. The discussion of this was Not About White Privilege...

It's about a National Reporter for CNN falsely accusing someone with Racial overtones... and she was completely Wrong.. Where is Truthful Journalism now? If a CNN reporter on a national level insinuates racism falsely and freely, then us here behind a keyboard with fake names don't stand a chance.

ANd there was absolutely zero reason to have brought Trump up in this thread. None whatsoever.
First off, she is not a reporter, she is a paid contributor, a segment talking head if you will. Her professional job is actually a Civil Rights lawyer, not reporter. That would be like saying Karl Rove, Anne Coulter, or Jeremy Carl writing op-eds quoting debunked white supremacist papers are representative of Fox News's journalistic standards? You sure you want to go down that path?

As to the point of this thread, we can only go on what DD will disclose, which as usual is deliberately vague enough to avoid being held to account and create deniability. But twice now he has inferenced that it is personal responsibility and eschewing categorizations, not systemic barriers, that hold people back. Implying the notion that white privilege is a myth. So it's reasonable to presume that at least part of the motivation for this thread was to advance that agenda. Of course he won't have an honest debate so we are left merely with an OP asking people to ridicule a Civil Rights lawyer for making the sort of gaffe we see literally every day from politicians and the paid punditry class, but for some reason you and him think this one is exceptional, without articulating a convincing case for why?

She messed up, everyone seems in agreement with that, she gives ammunition to culture warriors that seek out these sorts of slip ups to disengenuously put their allies on the defensive and use as a dishonest tactic to try and discredit modern civil rights as a whole, which to me is the larger story here. But as an isolated event? And as something that somehow discredits an entire profession? That's absurd.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom