CNN Analyst Calls Out Fox Contributor for His White Privilege. He's Black. (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Ratings
Sticky Post
Off hand, I'd compare this to trumping your partner's ace. Oops! :haha-rire-395:
My purpose in posting this is to share a good laugh. :elefant:

- dd

The gaffe occurred on David Webb's Sirius XM radio show, according to the Washington Post.

Webb: “I’ve chosen to cross different parts of the media world, done the work so that I’m qualified to be in each one; I never considered my color the issue; I considered my qualifications the issue.”

Martin: “Well, David, that’s a whole other long conversation about white privilege, the things that you have the privilege of doing, that people of color don’t have the privilege of.”

Webb: “How do I have the privilege of white privilege?"

Martin: “David, by virtue of being a white male you have white privilege. This whole long conversation, I don’t have time to get into — ”

Webb: “Areva, I hate to break it to you, but you should’ve been better prepped. I’m black."

1547610339233.png
Martin Webb

After Martin repeatedly apologized, Webb continued:

“You’re talking to a black man . . . who started out in rock radio in Boston, who crossed the paths into hip-hop, rebuilding one of the greatest black stations in America and went on to work at Fox News where I’m told apparently blacks aren’t supposed to work, but yet, you come with this assumption, and you go to white privilege. “That’s actually insulting.”

No formal apology has been issued at this point.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts...e-privilege-hes-black/?utm_term=.5f15a121f634

Last edited:

Saint_Ward

The Great Eye is ever Watchful
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Ratings
Thank you all for your thoughts, ideas and responses.

I still maintain what I said in Post #20 above and while some may dismiss it as anecdotal, from my perspective it is an honest, heart-felt sharing of experience. It's not an anecdote, it's my life. We miss out on so much if we label and categorize and dismiss a person, rather than considering them as individuals. Heck, look at Drew Brees if you don't believe that!

Regarding the original post and topic, honestly ask yourself: Would this gaffe would have even appeared on this board if I hadn't posted it?

I waited while the story kept trending up and up on Google News. Nothing. So I took a chance and tried to add some levity. SOMEBODY had to post it, right? Well, no you can just ignore it and it'll go away like Futurama's brain slugs. You know, I think it's time to consider whether playing ostrich in the sand and compartmentalizing news didn't lead directly to putting Trump in the White House.

Throughout our history, American political commentary has always been rife with wry observations, wit, candor, satire and irony . . . . unless you're some poly sci prof who thinks everything has to be all serious all the time like a classroom.

Seriously, some of y'all need to lighten up.

Which brings us to David Webb's commentaries today about yesterday's gaffe:

“There is no such thing as white privilege,” Webb said Wednesday morning on “Fox & Friends.”

(and)

“Our skin… doesn’t think, it doesn’t formulate ideas. Let’s look at it that way and go back to the ideas in our head, the ideas in our mind and the things we need to discuss,” Webb said.

Webb said he invited Martin back on his Sirius XM program to have a longer conversation about white privilege before pointing out that things would be different if this happened to a liberal.

“It would be, calls for firing, they would be pressuring advertisers. The machine on the left would have gone into full-blown action,” Webb said. “They would have demanded that I be thrown off Fox.”

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainme...vilege-for-defaulting-to-easy-false-narrative

Just think how one-sided it would be if we never posted threads like this one. You're welcome.

-dd
No, because what is the discussion to be had?

We pretty much all agree that it was an error on her part, and move on. People shouldn't be so quick to judge.

What is the political discussion? Furthermore, what is the intelligent political discussion to be had?

SaintInBucLand

Veteran Starter
Ratings
No, because what is the discussion to be had?

We pretty much all agree that it was an error on her part, and move on. People shouldn't be so quick to judge.

What is the political discussion? Furthermore, what is the intelligent political discussion to be had?
Agreed, there is no political discussion to be had. Like Bronco said, this is merely a gotcha thread and has no value. Hopefully it will be deleted.

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Ratings
Hi, Saint_Ward. Hello, SaintInBucLand.

We're going on four pages now. Seems like there was plenty of discussion to be had.

As a CNN contributor and civil rights lawyer (Notice how I lower-cased "civil rights lawyer" when others here are upper casing it? That's a political choice. No English teacher would uppercase it.) Ms. Martin trotted out what has become a standard game plan retort in among left-leaning pundits of late.

Hers is a cautionary tale for those who like to accuse people of bigotry, racism, white privilege, without even doing the most cursory examination to see if these labels are applicable.

As I observed on Post #20, I had experienced such labeling (white privilege) in another thread, labeling used for political purposes to reject and summarily dismiss other people's thoughts and ideas.

Moreover, clearly Ms. Martin was representative of one politically-based viewpoint (CNN, a.k.a. the Clinton News Network) and Mr. Webb the exact opposite politically-based viewpoint (Fox News, a.k.a. the Trump-ist Trumpet).

Ms. Martin's gaffe was newsworthy enough for the Washington Post to do a full-blown article, so I felt this board was appropriate at that point.
If I had put it on the EE Board, it probably would have gotten moved by now. Either/or, doesn't matter to me.

Thank you for responding.

Who Dat to One, Who Dat to All!

-dd

Charlie Brizzown

Fishing fool
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Ms. Martin trotted out what has become a standard game plan retort in among left-leaning pundits of late.
I think if you would have said this in your original post you would have received a better quality discussion, but you didn’t. Instead, you’re now backing into this position after being called out on starting a thread with absolutely no apparent meaningful purpose.

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Ratings
I think if you would have said this in your original post you would have received a better quality discussion, but you didn’t. Instead, you’re now backing into this position after being called out on starting a thread with absolutely no apparent meaningful purpose.
Hey, Charlie B.

I started it with a reason - a newsworthy item with political overtones occurred. I thought it was interesting and wanted to share it.
It never occurred to me that anybody would demand an explanation of WHY I wanted to post it. Seemed pretty self-evident to me.

Incessantly badgering people about why they posted something can appear to be a form of suppressing inconvenient news and opinions in the political arena. Apologies to a Al Gore for borrowing from "An Inconvenient Truth."

Who Dat To One, Who Dat to All!
-dd

Last edited:

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Ratings
The fact that this got a write up in the Washington Post also suggests how rare what you claim is a common occurrence is DD. It takes more than one anecdote to prove a trend. I.E. the gross overuse of falsely accusing racism or white privilege by social activists.

And while white privilege is used as a discussion anchor fairly frequently amongst academics and activists, that is not in any way grounds to take one anecdotal example and paint everything with that broad brush in some authoritative manner(and lets also be clear to your own words, you started a thread asking to ridicule this woman, not as a cautionary tale).

Again, quit dodging discussion DD, do you think white privilege exists? Do you think their is a racial wealth gap? Is your entire basis for these assertions simply cherry picked anecdotes? No one is suppressing you DD, in fact, people are imploring you to participate, it is you that is self-censoring.

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Ratings
The fact that this got a write up in the Washington Post also suggests how rare what you claim is a common occurrence is DD. It takes more than one anecdote to prove a trend. I.E. the gross overuse of falsely accusing racism or white privilege by social activists.

And while white privilege is used as a discussion anchor fairly frequently amongst academics and activists, that is not in any way grounds to take one anecdotal example and paint everything with that broad brush in some authoritative manner(and lets also be clear to your own words, you started a thread asking to ridicule this woman, not as a cautionary tale).

Again, quit dodging discussion DD, do you think white privilege exists? Do you think their is a racial wealth gap? Is your entire basis for these assertions simply cherry picked anecdotes? No one is suppressing you DD, in fact, people are imploring you to participate, it is you that is self-censoring.
Hi, NO_Bronco,

I see my effort at levity was poorly received. Oh, well.

Again, please see Post #20. To me, that's no anecdote, that's my life experience.
Take a good long look at that picture.
Five years before it was taken, it would have been illegal to put us together in a class.
Just imagine that was you.
The only warm clothing I owned was the letter jacket issued by the school and my family subsisted on $100 a week and government cheese.
Put yourself in my second-hand shoes.
Now, just as Ms. Martin thoughtlessly tossed out an accusation of white privilege at Mr. Webb, Post #20 addresses the same thing done to me on an earlier thread.
Let that sink in.
You've been an adamant advocate for poor African-Americans. Shouldn't you advocate for the poor regardless of color?
You seem like the kind of person who would say "Yes."
I was one of those people. Applying a white privilege label to me is wrong and I object to it. Seems Mr. Webb objects too, but obviously for different reasons.

Now, I'm going back to my job search. I don't think the folks in Washington are going to solve things anytime soon.

Oh, do us both a favor, don't bring up any postings prior to my return from band camp last summer. I simply cannot respond. I'm sure you understand.

Take care, N.O._Bronco. Thanks.

-dd

Charlie Brizzown

Fishing fool
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Hi, NO_Bronco,

Again, please see Post #20. To me, that's no anecdote, that's my life experience.
Five years before it was taken, it would have been illegal to put us together in a class.
The only warm clothing I owned was the letter jacket issued by the school and my family subsisted on $100 a week and government cheese.
Now, just as Ms. Martin thoughtlessly tossed out an accusation of white privilege at Mr. Webb, Post #20 addresses the same thing done to me on an earlier thread.
Let that sink in.
You've been an adamant advocate for poor African-Americans. Shouldn't you advocate for the poor regardless of color?
I was one of those people. Applying a white privilege label to me is wrong and I object to it. Seems Mr. Webb objects too, but obviously for different reasons.

Now, I'm going back to my job search. I don't think the folks in Washington are going to solve things anytime soon.

Oh, do us both a favor, don't bring up any postings prior to my return from band camp last summer. I simply cannot respond. I'm sure you understand.

-dd
5F2DBA92-1367-4CED-AF98-FDDCF71B4D18.jpeg

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Ratings
Psssst...hey, Charlie B …we ain't supposed to be a-postin' them cartoons and such. :hihi:

But as long as you're going to post them, put up one with a Swedish bikini team or something good! (y)

OK, folks, I have GOT to stop wasting time here. Catch y'all later.

-dd

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Ratings
It’s just so weird that people don’t know what white privilege is, yet claim it does not exist.

I’ll simplify it...

There are many racist white people in positions of authority. This is far more common than a racist non white person being in a position of authority.

Systemic racism still remains in many of our institutions that were built by people who happened to be racist against non whites.

All white people passively benefit from this. Even “woke” white people benefit from white privileged. It’s not really a choice because most of the time there is no way to be sure that white privilege is giving us an advantage.

Tapxe

Coalescing the vapors of human existence
Ratings

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Ratings
A very wealthy L.A. attorney who works for CNN and CBS lecturing us on "white privilege." Its absurd.

And the fact that she applies the label to a black man is exactly the reason a concept such as "white privilege" is so stupid. It ignores the details in favor of some overarching stereotype.

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Hi, NO_Bronco,

Let that sink in.

-dd
I asked you a very specific set of questions earlier and it is directly related to this discussion, I will now add a couple more, since now more than ever you are being more frank with your insinuations, calling into question the very notion of white privilege and claiming it would morally wrong to apply it to you:

- Do you believe in the racial wealth gap?

- For every dollar of wealth the average white person has, how much does the average black person have? ballpark figure is fine, this isn't a graded quiz.

- Are you aware of research on the racial disparities in school discipline and how that affects a students prospects from an early age?

- Are you aware of the networking phenomena in hiring practices and how historical economic distributions affect future employment?

- Are you aware of the concept of red-lining or pocket listings?

You can respond whenever it is convenient, but a response would be appreciated, and not one that is evasive and indirect.

FWtex

Hall-of-Famer
Ratings
White Privileged is a farce, a joke, and racist comment at it core. David Web very eloquently laid out his rebuke of the tag when it happened. The fact that it was directed at a black man proves the point of how it is used as a racist accusation because this lawyer making the comment did not know anything about David Web other than he was a radio host on a conservative broadcast.

To make that statement she completely ignored his whole life of achievements to get in the seat he was sitting, and she only could see skin color that her mind was picturing. That is racist at it purest point. racism goes in every direction and yes, it is even used by blacks against blacks, whites against whites, Asians against Asians, etc.

This lady's mistake should forever put the phrase in the dumpster but of course it will not because some will find some way to defend her from being a racist.

LafourcheSaint

Silvergun Superman
Ratings
Uncle Toms benefit from white privilege, so I think her comment was accurate.
So if somebody is black, unless they toe a certain line, have certain views, and stay in their station in life then they are race traitors?

I'm not sure if that is pure racism or the soft bigotry of low expectations.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom