CNN Analyst Calls Out Fox Contributor for His White Privilege. He's Black. (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Off hand, I'd compare this to trumping your partner's ace. Oops! :haha-rire-395:
My purpose in posting this is to share a good laugh. :elefant:

- dd

The gaffe occurred on David Webb's Sirius XM radio show, according to the Washington Post.

Webb: “I’ve chosen to cross different parts of the media world, done the work so that I’m qualified to be in each one; I never considered my color the issue; I considered my qualifications the issue.”

Martin: “Well, David, that’s a whole other long conversation about white privilege, the things that you have the privilege of doing, that people of color don’t have the privilege of.”

Webb: “How do I have the privilege of white privilege?"

Martin: “David, by virtue of being a white male you have white privilege. This whole long conversation, I don’t have time to get into — ”

Webb: “Areva, I hate to break it to you, but you should’ve been better prepped. I’m black."

1547610339233.png
Martin Webb

After Martin repeatedly apologized, Webb continued:

“You’re talking to a black man . . . who started out in rock radio in Boston, who crossed the paths into hip-hop, rebuilding one of the greatest black stations in America and went on to work at Fox News where I’m told apparently blacks aren’t supposed to work, but yet, you come with this assumption, and you go to white privilege. “That’s actually insulting.”

No formal apology has been issued at this point.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2019/01/15/cnn-analyst-called-out-fox-news-contributor-his-white-privilege-hes-black/?utm_term=.5f15a121f634

Last edited:

Oye

shopgirl's metaphysic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So if somebody is black, unless they toe a certain line, have certain views, and stay in their station in life then they are race traitors?

I'm not sure if that is pure racism or the soft bigotry of low expectations.
I think the phrase "Uncle Tom" is largely unhelpful and doesn't have much place in the discourse around race. The implied generalization epitomizes the type of thing we need to get over - and I don't see how some default disavowal from a community member is somehow going to be constructive.

I don't think it's either of these things, but I don't think we have to label it as such to be critical of it.

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
White Privileged is a farce, a joke, and racist comment at it core. David Web very eloquently laid out his rebuke of the tag when it happened. The fact that it was directed at a black man proves the point of how it is used as a racist accusation because this lawyer making the comment did not know anything about David Web other than he was a radio host on a conservative broadcast.

To make that statement she completely ignored his whole life of achievements to get in the seat he was sitting, and she only could see skin color that her mind was picturing. That is racist at it purest point. racism goes in every direction and yes, it is even used by blacks against blacks, whites against whites, Asians against Asians, etc.

This lady's mistake should forever put the phrase in the dumpster but of course it will not because some will find some way to defend her from being a racist.
So I'll extend my set of questions to you as well:

- Do you deny there is a racial wealth gap?

- For every dollar of wealth the average white person has, how much does the average black person have? ballpark figure is fine, this isn't a graded quiz.

- Are you aware of research on the racial disparities in school discipline and how that affects a students prospects from an early age?

- Are you aware of the networking phenomena in hiring practices and how historical economic distributions affect future employment and job growth?

- Are you aware of the concept of red-lining or pocket listings?

Saint_Ward

The Great Eye is ever Watchful
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, Saint_Ward. Hello, SaintInBucLand.

We're going on four pages now. Seems like there was plenty of discussion to be had.

As a CNN contributor and civil rights lawyer (Notice how I lower-cased "civil rights lawyer" when others here are upper casing it? That's a political choice. No English teacher would uppercase it.) Ms. Martin trotted out what has become a standard game plan retort in among left-leaning pundits of late.

Hers is a cautionary tale for those who like to accuse people of bigotry, racism, white privilege, without even doing the most cursory examination to see if these labels are applicable.

As I observed on Post #20, I had experienced such labeling (white privilege) in another thread, labeling used for political purposes to reject and summarily dismiss other people's thoughts and ideas.

Moreover, clearly Ms. Martin was representative of one politically-based viewpoint (CNN, a.k.a. the Clinton News Network) and Mr. Webb the exact opposite politically-based viewpoint (Fox News, a.k.a. the Trump-ist Trumpet).

Ms. Martin's gaffe was newsworthy enough for the Washington Post to do a full-blown article, so I felt this board was appropriate at that point.
If I had put it on the EE Board, it probably would have gotten moved by now. Either/or, doesn't matter to me.

Thank you for responding.

Who Dat to One, Who Dat to All!

-dd
"What is the political discussion? Furthermore, what is the intelligent political discussion to be had? "

What are the politics of this?

Secondly, there is a lot of conversation, in general, on this, because any time the phrase "white privilege" is uttered, it becomes a discussion on the idea of it. And the denial of it, along with the discussions trying to persuade the deniers.

But why is this on the politics board?

What is there even to argue about? She made a mistake.

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
Sorry DD, but life experience is considered anecdotal. It's a very quick glimpse or limited view of a situation.

You are objectively wrong here. What else might you be wrong or misinformed about?
From Websters...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anecdote
Hi Taxpe,

That's the great thing about the English language, meanings and shades of meanings. :)
Your definition of the word "anecdotal" is technically correct at first glance but lacks context, connotation and implication which affect the reader.
Context: A person provides experiences and opinions of events which took place during his/her lifetime. Someone who hadn't even been born when the events transpired summarily poo-poohs it all based on the experiences and opinions being "anecdotal."
Connotation: Dismissive, disdainful, contemptuous, condescending . . . you get the idea.
Implication: The writer is using the term in a pejorative fashion to imply incompetence. It's a very thinly veiled insult.
In summary: Since the events took place in the 1970s, anybody who wasn't there would have to rely on "anecdotal" accounts.

Thanks giving me the chance to examine the meanings and shades of meaning of the overused term "anecdotal."

-dd

OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
"What is the political discussion? Furthermore, what is the intelligent political discussion to be had? "{/quote]

What are the politics of this?

Secondly, there is a lot of conversation, in general, on this, because any time the phrase "white privilege" is uttered, it becomes a discussion on the idea of it. And the denial of it, along with the discussions trying to persuade the deniers.

But why is this on the politics board?

What is there even to argue about? She made a mistake.
Ok, you're right. She made a mistake. Conversation completed. Thank you for your patience with me.

Dadsdream

Saint_Ward

The Great Eye is ever Watchful
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, you're right. She made a mistake. Conversation completed. Thank you for your patience with me.

Dadsdream
Now, let's go back to what you asked, and why I've been answering as I have been.

"would this have been posted on this board,if you hadn't"..

I said no. I said why, and gave some thoughts on why this wouldn't generally be a topic for the board.

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Taxpe,

That's the great thing about the English language, meanings and shades of meanings. :)
Your definition of the word "anecdotal" is technically correct at first glance but lacks context, connotation and implication which affect the reader.
Context: A person provides experiences and opinions of events which took place during his/her lifetime. Someone who hadn't even been born when the events transpired summarily poo-poohs it all based on the experiences and opinions being "anecdotal."
Connotation: Dismissive, disdainful, contemptuous, condescending . . . you get the idea.
Implication: The writer is using the term in a pejorative fashion to imply incompetence. It's a very thinly veiled insult.
In summary: Since the events took place in the 1970s, anybody who wasn't there would have to rely on "anecdotal" accounts.

Thanks giving me the chance to examine the meanings and shades of meaning of the overused term "anecdotal."

-dd
There is no need for overwrought meanderings on a person's value judgements, the problem with anecdotal evidence is simple, on it's own it is limited and not capable of determining the sort of conclusions you have used it to draw. I.E. that white privilege is a myth and that you should be considered immune from every one of its effects or manifestations.

Yours is at best a very narrow, very limited cross-sectional analysis that in no way is reliable enough to extrapolate to an entire population or draw the sort of society wide conclusions you have attempted to infer(thats not a knock, that is simply the sliding scale limitations on any one person's individual experiences). It might also be blind to a number of social and economic currents, hence my continual attempt to get your answers to my inquiries. It's not disrespectful or condescending, it's just the facts of the matter and an attempt at turning this conversation into something constructive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DadsDream

DadsDream

We Wuz Robbed!
Reaction score
Now, let's go back to what you asked, and why I've been answering as I have been.

"would this have been posted on this board,if you hadn't"..

I said no. I said why, and gave some thoughts on why this wouldn't generally be a topic for the board.
I understand.

Dadsdream

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A very wealthy L.A. attorney who works for CNN and CBS lecturing us on "white privilege." Its absurd.

And the fact that she applies the label to a black man is exactly the reason a concept such as "white privilege" is so stupid. It ignores the details in favor of some overarching stereotype.
Misusing a term or abusing it doesn't disprove the underlying phenomena, nor does it relegate it to a stereotype, FYI.

I've put forth a very basic framework to attempt to move this discussion forward with the set of questions I asked DD and FWtex, set around some concrete anchors that would flesh out this discussion about the existence or non-existence of white privilege. At this point I'm looking for anyone that can offer up more than their soap box spiel, you think you have it in you?

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
First off Oye. You can spare me your diagnosis.

What this woman did was spout out a false accusation based upon race. She basically said he only had his point of view because he was white. Wrongly at that.

And someone is going to try and argue that in 3...2...1...

Oye

shopgirl's metaphysic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
First off Oye. You can spare me your diagnosis.
it's not a diagnosis - you do it. Routinely.

Twice in this thread.

Why is it so important to you to keep claiming that people are calling you racist when they aren't and don't?

It's odd. But it's consistent. And it ain't exactly an island of perception I'm on alone.

You can try and brush it off, but there are plenty of posts (like I said, two in this thread alone) that indicate otherwise. And I'm sure the ones in this thread won't be the last. You can't seem to help yourself.

edit: rather than go around in this stupid circle, I'll offer a couple of things designed to be constructive. You can even take/do both if you want.

First, why not give this a spin: only refer to the times that you are actually called a racist instead of getting offended or bothered by all the times you aren't. That might help impact your experiences on the PDB - it might be possible that part of that is informed by things that aren't actually real. So why bother worrying about them?

Secondly, I don't think you are a racist. So the next time someone calls you one, I'll step in and at least offer my opinion that I haven't seen anything that makes me believe you are a racist. You can @ me in the post or send me a PM. And if I happen to see it, I'll do it myself. But these days, during coaching season, my time available to surf SR is severely limited

Last edited:

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Let's start simple oye.

Did the woman make her false accusation of the man based upon Race?

yes or no?

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Oye has never to my knowledge(based on reading this thread) defended this woman’s behavior Joe, so I’m not sure why you are asking him to take up the position of defending her?

Are you just trying to evade his points?

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
I asked you a very specific set of questions earlier and it is directly related to this discussion, I will now add a couple more, since now more than ever you are being more frank with your insinuations, calling into question the very notion of white privilege and claiming it would morally wrong to apply it to you:

- Do you believe in the racial wealth gap?

- For every dollar of wealth the average white person has, how much does the average black person have? ballpark figure is fine, this isn't a graded quiz.

- Are you aware of research on the racial disparities in school discipline and how that affects a students prospects from an early age?

- Are you aware of the networking phenomena in hiring practices and how historical economic distributions affect future employment?

- Are you aware of the concept of red-lining or pocket listings?

You can respond whenever it is convenient, but a response would be appreciated, and not one that is evasive and indirect.
Do you think averages give us insight into all specific situations? They don't, so I am not sure why averages of anything would be used to support the labeling of any specific person as having benefited from a privilege.

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Misusing a term or abusing it doesn't disprove the underlying phenomena, nor does it relegate it to a stereotype, FYI.

I've put forth a very basic framework to attempt to move this discussion forward with the set of questions I asked DD and FWtex, set around some concrete anchors that would flesh out this discussion about the existence or non-existence of white privilege. At this point I'm looking for anyone that can offer up more than their soap box spiel, you think you have it in you?
Whether she "misused" the term or applied it incorrectly is more at the point I am making. I don't think she misused it. In fact, had David Webb been white I suspect many people would agree with her. Even though she still would have known little to nothing about David Webb and his life the mere fact that he was white (under the scenario) would have meany he benefited from the privilege.
If that isn't a stereotypical view I am not sure what is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom