CNN: Multiple deaths in shooting at Texas' Santa Fe High School (2 Viewers)

I think it'd be much easier to argue that violent video games are an effect of gun culture than to say that video games cause real-life violence.

Just pointing out we didn;t have these things when I was young... Now the Video game console is the babysittter for kids 5 and up... and violent video songs are just a click away...

I don;t care what anyone says. You cannot tell me that this does not have some kind of effect on kids. They have to be making some kind of metal effect....

Joe you are really showing some revisionist history here. You grew up in the 70s mostly so movies like Taxi Driver, Dirty Harry, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Clockwork Orange, and Death Wish were all released that decade. Some of the most violent movies ever made.

And as far as music, just look at some of these songs from when you were young:

-Warren Zevon "Excitable Boy" is about a boy who took a girl to prom then raped and killed her
-Johnny Cash "Cocaine Blues" is about a man who woke up, did some coke, and shot his wife. Even ends the song by saying "I can't forget the day I shot that bad birch down"

Violent entertainment has always been around.

And don't even get started with the amount of songs from the 60s and 70s that were about these older guys wanting to get with "sweet 16" or 17 year old girls. Yeah that's called rape.

they are getting set to release a new video game called "Active Shooter"... You get to either be a Swat member or you can be a school shooter. The Background is set in a school.. and you get to shoot your classmates and teachers....

Active Shooter video game that lets children simulate murdering their classmates sparks outrage | Daily Mail Online

and we have a really cool Rap song called "School Shooter" by Randy Ross... NSFW

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEfs3VnwPOc

It's Nugent time! Yeah probably NSFW

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RPMcN7thJYo

You were saying Joe?

Who cares? People flew through buildings like the Twin Towers, Pentagon, etc. for years on Microsoft Flight Simulator. Anyone going to step up and mention that playing a role in the attacks on 9/11?

You know what else we didn't have when we were growing up? An endless cycle of guns circulating.
But, video games?

Back in those days, You could buy a gun from the back of a magazine for less than $10... Especially after the war. I am not saying that Video game ARE THE WHOLE PROBLEM. But I do feel that they play a huge part. Some of these kids play these games for hours upon hours... I have played them myself and they are a blast.. almost to the point that it makes you actually want to get a gun and shoot it. I was at the gun store and the owner of the store and I were talking... HE says. "You know how is buying all the WWII guns these days... The Kids." And he suspects it's because The Game of Call of Duty is so popular with them

again
see you again in 3 days when you try to drop this idea in here again

So I guess that you just turn a blind eye to it and it's all ok huh? Let's just ban some guns and our problem is solved huh.
I feel there are more pieces to this puzzle than one.

I do believe increasingly violent video games have had an effect desensitizing kids towards violence. Of course, the availability of guns is the biggest factor. There is no single answer here.

Thank you Bill.

Joe you are really showing some revisionist history here. You grew up in the 70s mostly so movies like Taxi Driver, Dirty Harry, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Clockwork Orange, and Death Wish were all released that decade. Some of the most violent movies ever made.

And as far as music, just look at some of these songs from when you were young:

-Warren Zevon "Excitable Boy" is about a boy who took a girl to prom then raped and killed her
-Johnny Cash "Cocaine Blues" is about a man who woke up, did some coke, and shot his wife. Even ends the song by saying "I can't forget the day I shot that bad birch down"

Violent entertainment has always been around.

Ok... using your theory... violent movies and songs have been out for a long time... and so have guns... Why now has this became a common thing. WE have had guns in this country for 300 years. If we ever had a shooting it was an isolated event.... Now it's becoming the norm... Why is that???

Just for debate... In those days... You had to be 18 to see the movie. You could not run down and grab a video of Dirty Harry. You could not DownLoad it on your Tablet. You could not just go to youtube and view it. We did not have 150 channels then...

And Johnny Cash... The song actually ended with . "Stay off that Whiskey and let that Cocaine Be....

I tell ya... I am a little confused... I point out how fast a video game is made and a song is made about being a school shooter, and how accessible these things are... and I get this kinda feedback...

Bet a $1 that the Video game of School shooter actually makes release. Somebody is gonna come along and say it's their right... Just like the Rapper says it's his 1sr Amendment right to produce the song of School Shooter. ANd just see how easy it was for me to link to it... For every kid under 17 to see here on SR.com...

But you’re not “pointing that out” you’re using it as a dodge
‘Hey I’m just pointing out that all the shooters wore shoes between the sizes 9-10.5 maybe we should look at that
I am sure that the fbi is looking into these cases and trying to figure out how these domestic terrorists became radicalized
But in the meantime we know that countries that reduced gun, reduced gun crimes
We should st least make the common sense approach to stop the sale of high capacity rifles

Joe,

Justices Reject Ban on Violent Video Games for Children

Depictions of violence, Justice Scalia added, have never been subject to government regulation. “Grimm’s Fairy Tales, for example, are grim indeed,” he wrote, recounting the gory plots of “Snow White,” “Cinderella” and “Hansel and Gretel.” High school reading lists and Saturday morning cartoons, too, he said, are riddled with violence.

This coming from the Supreme Court.

But you’re not “pointing that out” you’re using it as a dodge

We should st least make the common sense approach to stop the sale of high capacity rifles

A couple thing Mr. Guido... You keep mentioning S. Korea.. They are not having this problem.. and they have violent video games. Is it posiable that S. Korea holds on to more traditional values than the USA?
I just looked up Divorce rates by Country and just as an example. The US divorce Rate is 46% while S. Korea is at 36%
and the stats for single parent homes around the world.. The USA is at 27% of households while Korea is at 8%.. The USA is one of the highest in this category.
So is it possible that Korea holds on to more traditional values than we do? So you can;t just use the fact that they have video games like use and they do not have a ride in shootings... There are other factors like maybe parents that don;t let them play those game hour upon hour...

Back in those days, You could buy a gun from the back of a magazine for less than $10... Especially after the war. I am not saying that Video game ARE THE WHOLE PROBLEM. But I do feel that they play a huge part. Some of these kids play these games for hours upon hours... I have played them myself and they are a blast.. almost to the point that it makes you actually want to get a gun and shoot it. I was at the gun store and the owner of the store and I were talking... HE says. "You know how is buying all the WWII guns these days... The Kids." And he suspects it's because The Game of Call of Duty is so popular with them

So I guess that you just turn a blind eye to it and it's all ok huh? Let's just ban some guns and our problem is solved huh.
I feel there are more pieces to this puzzle than one.

Thank you Bill.

Ok... using your theory... violent movies and songs have been out for a long time... and so have guns... Why now has this became a common thing. WE have had guns in this country for 300 years. If we ever had a shooting it was an isolated event.... Now it's becoming the norm... Why is that???

Just for debate... In those days... You had to be 18 to see the movie. You could not run down and grab a video of Dirty Harry. You could not DownLoad it on your Tablet. You could not just go to youtube and view it. We did not have 150 channels then...

And Johnny Cash... The song actually ended with . "Stay off that Whiskey and let that Cocaine Be....

I tell ya... I am a little confused... I point out how fast a video game is made and a song is made about being a school shooter, and how accessible these things are... and I get this kinda feedback...

Bet a $1 that the Video game of School shooter actually makes release. Somebody is gonna come along and say it's their right... Just like the Rapper says it's his 1sr Amendment right to produce the song of School Shooter. ANd just see how easy it was for me to link to it... For every kid under 17 to see here on SR.com...

But you are okay with Ted Nugent and his guns at his concerts. You are not responding so I suppose you agree with Mr. Nugent. Also breaking flag code with that guitar.

It's late and I'm a bit drunk, so I only clicked on one link. One of the first things I read when looking for methodology was this..
All the participants in the study were adults, so the results of this study do not determine the effects of video games on children.

It also said the games involved a car avoiding a truck, and a mouse trying to escape from a cat. Video games these days show pretty realistic looking humans shooting each other in the head.

Again, I don't want to put too much weight on video games/media, but it certainly has to be a factor.

It's late and I'm a bit drunk, so I only clicked on one link. One of the first things I read when looking for methodology was this..

It also said the games involved a car avoiding a truck, and a mouse trying to escape from a cat. Video games these days show pretty realistic looking humans shooting each other in the head.

What about Books and Novels. Should we quit reading them in school? No more reading Lord of the Flies?

I did read that... I am kinda saddened by it though honestly... As to Saturday morning cartoons being violent... Mine were Bugs Bunny Dropping a piano on Yosemitey Sam's head.. So I have always had this fear of falling Pianos...:ezbill:

I played with GI Joes and as a kid . Never thought of shooting someone.

What about Books and Novels. Should we quit reading them in school? No more reading Lord of the Flies?

Can you be an adult? Did I suggest we ban video games? Is reading Lord of the Flies the same thing as a visual representation of shooting a total stranger in the head?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom