Coach Ditka on his new Women's Football League and National Anthem Debate (1 Viewer)

Yes, Ditka’s record here was not good at all. But he did draft some decent talent on defense that got us our first win in the playoffs.

Yeah we never would’ve made it to the playoffs had he stayed. If he had stayed the word was he wanted to sign Jim Miller to be our QB. QB is a never ending problem with him.

Mike Ditka come back was a huge mistake on both him and the Saints. The game clearly passed him by when he arrived. If he hadn't came back he would look better in retrospect.

On that note with his time in Chicago if he had better QBs or offensive coaches no telling how many SBs he would of won. McMahon and Harbaugh were yuck even by that era's standards.

McMahon is the probably the best QB they’ve had in the past half-century, though. Try to name another one that was better over any length of time.

There have been women's "pro football leagues" for years. On youtube you can see the ones where they are not playing in underwear. What the media promoted was the ridiculous lingerie league. It looked ridiculous ( not the lingerie part, just playing a physical sport with nothing by lingerie on. I understand this is the same league with a re branding. If they wear the same mentally challenged uniforms, I still won't watch.

----

I have never witnessed a preemptive argument about a topic that hadn’t even come up yet. I figured I would have to get married for that lol

as for Ditka, yea those were dark days. I think we all knew it would be but the ever optimistic fan in us made us still tune in and hope. He was not even the reason Chicago was what they were. That was Daddy Ryan

Yes, Ditka’s record here was not good at all. But he did draft some decent talent on defense that got us our first win in the playoffs.
Which ones? Here's what you have to pick from, good luck:

Year Rnd Pick Player Position DrAge From To
1999 1 5 Ricky Williams RB 22 1999 2011
1998 1 7 Kyle Turley T 22 1998 2007
1998 2 40 Cam Cleeland TE 23 1998 2005
1998 4 97 Fred Weary DB 24 1998 2003
1998 4 99 Julian Pittman DE 23 1998 1998

1998 5 132 Wilmont Perry RB 23 1998 1999
1998 6 161 Chris Bordano LB 23 1998 2000
1998 7 204 Andy McCullough WR 22 1999 1999
1998 7 239 Ron Warner DE 22 1998 2004
1997 1 10 Chris Naeole G 22 1997 2007
1997 2 33 Rob Kelly DB 23 1997 2000
1997 2 39 Jared Tomich DE 23 1997 2002

1997 3 62 Troy Davis RB 21 1997 1999
1997 4 99 Danny Wuerffel QB 23 1997 2002
1997 4 116 Keith Poole WR 23 1997 2001
1997 6 165 Nick Savoie TE

I mean, some of the defensive players were still playing *on* the team, but i see a couple of NFL-level players at best, rather than 'decent talent'.

Dude say what you want about Ditka, but he honestly wanted to do well here and turn us around.

I remember about a year after he was let go I got bumped up to first class on a flight to Chicago and who did I get a seat next to? Ditka. I was wearing a Saints shirt and he struck up the conversation. We talked Saints the whole flight and he bought me drinks the whole flight.

He had nothing but great things to say about the Benson family, the organization, the fans, etc. He really felt bad about how it turned out, but said he would always support us. Was happy that we had finally won a playoff game. I believe we won that playoff game with most of the players he had as well.

When we do off the plane, he shook my hand and then gave me the biggest cigar I had ever seen, lol.told me if I had time while I was in town to go to his restaurant and have a meal on him. Never got to do that because it was a short 2 day meeting.

All in all, he was a cool guy and I got respect for him.

Ditka served his purpose with the organization. Sometimes one needs to fail in order to succeed.

Anyone remember who else was in the running for head coach when we hired Ditka?

Ditka is perhaps the most overrated coach in NFL history. No way he should not have won more than one Superbowl with that fearsome Bears defense in the 80s. Add to that the piss poor job he did here with the Saints and I wonder why he's still referred to as a legend (as he is in the article).

Agreed, he is a legend....of suck....

I still can’t believe we had Mike Ditka as our head coach at one time. He’s one of the biggest characters as head coach in NFL history.

Biggest characters? Agreed....he was a terrible head coach and Benson made a huge mistake in hiring him, I really don't think any other team in the NFL (except maybe the Raidahs) would have hired him....when we gave up all our picks just to move up to get RW, I was like OMG....going to be a disaster.....

Dude say what you want about Ditka, but he honestly wanted to do well here and turn us around.

I don't know if thinking he could make a team win games by virtue of him just him being in the building constitutes "honestly wanted to do well".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom