Coach O or not to O? (1 Viewer)

Should Coach O still be the top consideration for LSU job

• Total voters
I think he's done a good job and revitalized a team that Les Miles seemed to have 'lost'. That said, those two losses to supposedly mediocre (at the time) teams that sealed Miles fate have turned out to be losses to teams that turned out to be pretty good after all.

Still, LSU backers and fans want a coach that can help the team challenge for the championship (aka, beat Bama) every year. Truth be told, I don't see that coach among those that are potentially available - ie, Coach O is likely to be that guy as much as anyone, however it's just as likely that 'beating Bama' is something that will have to wait until after Saban retires. :(

I wish that I did not agree with all of this so much (particularly that last bit.

I know that it probably can't go this way if the man has decent representation but if I could see it go any way I wanted, I would love to see Coach O for the full 16-17 year so we would see all of the coaching changes, recruiting with him at the top spot and a full season of football. This poll shows more undecided at this point that decided and its possible that the remainder of the season won't sway those numbers much.

i just don't want to see a huge contract go to him because its very possible, even likely that by this time next year we have a very different picture based on his updated HC resume and what is available at that point.

I still think the remaining games are HUGE for Orgeron. If they win out, and the offense looks like the first few (and not like against Bama), Coach O will have a very good shot at the job unless the upper tier candidates (Fisher/Herman) are in play.

You would think Orgeron would be able to "talk himself out" of the Bama loss in an interview. If he was given a full offseason to put HIS coaches in place and run HIS team from top to bottom that things could be different. I love his energy and passion. He has a lot of positives to sell Alleva.

I would keep Aranda at all costs and try and bring in Chip Kelly to take over as coach and run the offense. I think that would be a lethal combination. I like Coach O but Kelly on offense is equal to what Saban is to defense in the college game. If Coach O runs the table I would like him to keep the job but bring in a young prodigy coach to take over the offense, like Miles should have done. Let him just recruit, motivate and run the team. Miles would have been perfect in this role but was to stubborn letting the offense out of his grasp....

We will never beat Bama unless we get:

(1a). Better Lineman, Specifically, Offensive Lineman. Bama absolutely dominates us in
trenches every. single. year. Can't just have one or two good Olineman. You got to
have 5 dominant OLineman. Bama's defensive front is that good!!!

(1b). Better QB, and better QB coaching.

Keep Aranda at all cost!!!!

I'm for Coach O.

And i found this article that explains why we should keep coach O and not go after Jimbo.

http://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2016/11/17/13666892/you-wanna-go-all-in-on-a-guy-named-jimbo

It's amazing that people forget his last couple of years here in BR fans were ready to run Jimbo out of town. I was at LSU during this time and fans were tired of all his middle and bubble screens and short passing game.
My oh my how we forget so quickly.

I am in the camp that Jimbo is nothing special, he is a good coach, but not one we need to get rid of the good coach we have to pay another coach to come here while we still pay the previous coach we fired. Just MHO

I'm for Coach O.

And i found this article that explains why we should keep coach O and not go after Jimbo.

http://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2016/11/17/13666892/you-wanna-go-all-in-on-a-guy-named-jimbo

It's amazing that people forget his last couple of years here in BR fans were ready to run Jimbo out of town. I was at LSU during this time and fans were tired of all his middle and bubble screens and short passing game.
My oh my how we forget so quickly.

I am in the camp that Jimbo is nothing special, he is a good coach, but not one we need to get rid of the good coach we have to pay another coach to come here while we still pay the previous coach we fired. Just MHO
So, you want me to forget about Orgeron at Ole Miss and pay attention to his two interim jobs at LSU and USC, but remember Jimbo's tine LSU and forget about his National Championship at FSU.

Is that about right?

In Orgeron you have a cultural fit. He's a great story and it's obvious he lives the school and the state. He has had some success in small increments at two schools. In Fisher, you have one of the best, proven coaches in all of college football with championships on his resume.

The two aren't even comparable.

So, you want me to forget about Orgeron at Ole Miss and pay attention to his two interim jobs at LSU and USC, but remember Jimbo's tine LSU and forget about his National Championship at FSU.

Is that about right?

In Orgeron you have a cultural fit. He's a great story and it's obvious he lives the school and the state. He has had some success in small increments at two schools. In Fisher, you have one of the best, proven coaches in all of college football with championships on his resume.

The two aren't even comparable.

Well, no I don't want to forget what O did at Ole miss or USC, we need to give him credit for failing at Ole miss and then changing his ways and becoming a better coach. He has learned from his mistakes and has become better for it. He has said numerous times that he is thankful for the opportunity at Ole miss as it made him a better man and coach and led him to where he is today.

And I am not in any way saying Jimbo is not a good coach. He is. He won a National title and had two undefeated seasons and was one win away from another National title appearance. Obviously he is a good coach.

What I am saying is that a lot of people think he is some kind of offensive genius who turns bad players into good ones and good players into great ones. That is not the case. I posted the article in my previous post to illustrate the point that he is not some offensive genius as some like to think. He only had one really good offense at LSU and that was his last year with Russell when he finally figured it out. His others weren't bad or like what we have seen the last few years but they were not scoring machines like some want to think.

He won a Natty as OC with Saban in 2003 but that team won because of the defense, not the offense. He then won a Natty at FSU with a generational talent in Winston and in a lesser conference. What has he done since though??? Not much. He should have numerous ACC titles with the talent he has there but he doesn't. He is losing more to Clemson than winning.

And as the article states, we have already fired one coach with a National title and multiple conference championships and paying a big buyout to, and so now we are going to go out and pay another coaches buyout and give him top money on top of that all for the chance that he might be better than the guy we fired. I don't see why we would do that when the guy we have now has just proven that he is coaching better than the guy before him, Miles, and has said this is his dream job and will do any and everything to bring us to the top.

What I am saying is we would be trading one overrated coach with another overrated coach while wasting a ton of money and killing any good will and positive momentum that we just got back. The mess we went through last year was bad enough and now we want to do it all over again. If Alleva wanted Jimbo that bad he should have got him last year. So we just basically wasted a season so we can go get the guy we wanted a year ago????
That is just silly to me. And it makes LSU look like a bunch of fools and idiots.

And if we hire Jimbo, most if not all of the assistant coaches would go. Jimbo is said to be very loyal and would want to bring in his own staff. Bye Aranda, Jaluke, Raymond, Orgeron, etc. Some might stay but most will probably not be retained. What will that do to recruiting?? What kind of message does that send to our fans, state, and community if we get rid or Coach O.
"Hey thanks for righting the ship and doing everything we asked of you and doing it the right way, but your services are no longer needed."
Why would any coach want to come and work here or with Alleva???

Again, this is just my opinion. I would rather just keep coach O and bring in a young offensive mind and go from there.

I listen to a lot of Baton Rouge sports radio thanks to the internet and podcasts. Im usually only a day behind, with the exception of Rohan's and Mike Detillier's weekly segments on AFR. I listen to the SEC network's shows, CBS podcasts, etc. I have yet to hear a single person refer to Jimbo as an offensive genius. First they mention his record, the national title, etc. Then they mention his QB development. Its been a hallmark of his time at FSU and I find it no coincidence that Jimbo was the last QB coach to actually develop a QB at LSU. Jimbo is proven. While there are no guarantees in sports, Jumbo is as close as you're going to get in a coach not named Saban.

The 2003 team averaged over 400 ypg. The #1 defense certainly was the more dominating force, but its not the reason why LSU won. The offense played a huge role. It was far from just being along for the ride, so don't dismiss it. His offenses consistently averaged between 350-400 ypg and scored between 28-33 ppg. That's roughly about the same as the Saban Era at Bama. 2007 was probably the best year offensively at LSU and that was because he pretty much had offensive autonomy. This was all long before Saban saw the light and moved towards a more spread put offense. Prior to that his philosophy was the same as Miles. Physically overpower people and control the clock with a running game and throw just enough passes to keep the safety out of the box.

What has he done lately? He should have won several ACC titles? He's 4 years removed from a Championship and 3 years from a playoff appearance. He's won 3 conference titles in 6 chances. Only Nick Saban can say that right now. The last two he's been rebuilding and replacing coaches for a school who won't pay assistants ****.

I guess I can see where you'd be more impressed with Ed's accent and 11-3 record, though.

I don't have an issue with Orgeron. I actually would not be upset if Jimbo turns down Alleva and for things to work out for O. However, in no way, shape or form is Orgeron a better candidate for LSU.

Period.

I haven't seen anything that would state that Jimbo would clean house. Craig formerly worked for him and was the recruiting coordinator at FSU under Jimbo. The two have a great relationship. He's been trying to get Corey Raymond to FSU for years. Dave Aranda is the best DC in the country right now, so who in their right mind would move him out? If Aranda leaves, its because he leaves. Grimes and Fisher worked together at Auburn if I recall. Outside of that group, who will be missed? We know Jenkins is done. Ensminger? Peveto? Juluke? None of those guys are irreplaceable. Recruiting might take a small hit, but not as bad as Miles' first season. Austin Thomas and Craig will see to that. Odds are still that LSU finishes with a top 10 class at worst. Even then, Alleva can stipulate that some coaches are retained, just like when Jimbo remained after Saban left.

Orgeron is a possible casualty. That would stink. He's a great recruiter and a great D-Line coach, but he doesn't have the market cornered on either.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Honestly, I'm more worried about Alleva ****ing this up somehow than how well Orgeron, Fisher, Herman, etc do as the coach atnLSU.

I'm a bit worried that Alleva screws this up too but the worst that he can do is run everyone off except Orgeron. At least I hope that's his downside limit. (Covering eyes)

Were it me as the AD (thank god its not) I'd simply put the word to Jimbo that we are ready to commit and will pay top dollar and we need a committment by a certain date. If he wants the job as many suspect, he'll rsvp.

It really should be relatively easy considering we have the meat lovers pizza in the trunk.

I listen to a lot of Baton Rouge sports radio thanks to the internet and podcasts. Im usually only a day behind, with the exception of Rohan's and Mike Detillier's weekly segments on AFR. I listen to the SEC network's shows, CBS podcasts, etc. I have yet to hear a single person refer to Jimbo as an offensive genius. First they mention his record, the national title, etc. Then they mention his QB development. Its been a hallmark of his time at FSU and I find it no coincidence that Jimbo was the last QB coach to actually develop a QB at LSU. Jimbo is proven. While there are no guarantees in sports, Jumbo is as close as you're going to get in a coach not named Saban.

The 2003 team averaged over 400 ypg. The #1 defense certainly was the more dominating force, but its not the reason why LSU won. The offense played a huge role. It was far from just being along for the ride, so don't dismiss it. His offenses consistently averaged between 350-400 ypg and scored between 28-33 ppg. That's roughly about the same as the Saban Era at Bama. 2007 was probably the best year offensively at LSU and that was because he pretty much had offensive autonomy. This was all long before Saban saw the light and moved towards a more spread put offense. Prior to that his philosophy was the same as Miles. Physically overpower people and control the clock with a running game and throw just enough passes to keep the safety out of the box.

What has he done lately? He should have won several ACC titles? He's 4 years removed from a Championship and 3 years from a playoff appearance. He's won 3 conference titles in 6 chances. Only Nick Saban can say that right now. The last two he's been rebuilding and replacing coaches for a school who won't pay assistants ****.

I guess I can see where you'd be more impressed with Ed's accent and 11-3 record, though.

I don't have an issue with Orgeron. I actually would not be upset if Jimbo turns down Alleva and for things to work out for O. However, in no way, shape or form is Orgeron a better candidate for LSU.

Period.

I haven't seen anything that would state that Jimbo would clean house. Craig formerly worked for him and was the recruiting coordinator at FSU under Jimbo. The two have a great relationship. He's been trying to get Corey Raymond to FSU for years. Dave Aranda is the best DC in the country right now, so who in their right mind would move him out? If Aranda leaves, its because he leaves. Grimes and Fisher worked together at Auburn if I recall. Outside of that group, who will be missed? We know Jenkins is done. Ensminger? Peveto? Juluke? None of those guys are irreplaceable. Recruiting might take a small hit, but not as bad as Miles' first season. Austin Thomas and Craig will see to that. Odds are still that LSU finishes with a top 10 class at worst. Even then, Alleva can stipulate that some coaches are retained, just like when Jimbo remained after Saban left.

Orgeron is a possible casualty. That would stink. He's a great recruiter and a great D-Line coach, but he doesn't have the market cornered on either.

Over the years, we've disagreed often on LSU topics (most notably JJ)....but I can't support what you've said here enough. The proverbial "hit the nail on the head".

It's not a slight on Orgeron...at all. Fisher is simply a less risky prospect. Almost a "can't miss" hire. I'm just hoping the decision is not easy on Alleva.....cause that will mean the Tigers won out & received a bid to the Sugar Bowl. With that, Fisher or Orgeron would make the Tiger faithful happy.

We get to see what Alleva delivers now. No question O is not going to get the 1st offer.

Nice post MLU.

Ummmmmm, after reviewing the options, I'm gonna have to pass on O.
:scratch:
If he would have won out, he would have earned the job. But that looked too much like what we have seen the last few years.

It's time for a change and a new regime. I still love Coach O, and would want him to stay on, but he is probably gone. Just please don't go to Bama O!!!!

The team looks basically the same as when Miles was coach, including the offense.

If you keep coach O, what exactly are you changing?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom