Coach Payton has changed his opinion about resting starters (1 Viewer)

longtime lurker

Buddy D lives FOREVER!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
:9:

..."After watching what happened with the Giants playing the Patriots in Week 17, when the game ended you felt the Giants had done something that served them well,'' Payton said. "Before they think about changing rules (on reseeding playoff teams), ask the coaches what they would choose, resting players or going for the momentum. It changed with me. Now, I think I'd play to win and not rest my players.

"Momentum going into the postseason is worth more, seeing what the Giants did.''
http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/200804020466

you gotta like watching Payton grow as a head coach in the NFL.

you gotta like watching Payton grow as a head coach in the NFL.

I like that point. So many people give players time to progress but dont give the same benefit to coaches. It takes time to learn to be a good head coach. As long as the coach is willing to learn...

I agree with playing your starters throughout the season. History has been on the side of teams that kept the momentum as opposed to resting starters. Anyone who agrees now needs to remember that if he plays our starters and someone gets hurt. Games that are meaningless are a no-win for coaches. If they don't play starters, they are "too scared" and if they do the are "reckless with starters".

Let's play our starters and deal with any injuries as they come...

I'll be the voice of dissension here. I do like to see Payton growing as a coach, but it's tough to deny the fact that our best offensive players are fairly injury prone. Colston has had a few injury issues, Deuce is coming off his second surgery, Reggie has been nicked up in his career, Brown has had some knee issues, and Drew has had a fairly recent major surgery on his shoulder. Not to mention the fact that resting our starters has worked in the past. I won't lose any sleep over this, but still, I'll have to disagree.

I like that point. So many people give players time to progress but dont give the same benefit to coaches. It takes time to learn to be a good head coach. As long as the coach is willing to learn...

bingo. I had this conversation with Mike D a few weeks back. That was always one of Haslett's biggest downfalls, was that he didn't learn from his mistakes.

bingo. I had this conversation with Mike D a few weeks back. That was always one of Haslett's biggest downfalls, was that he didn't learn from his mistakes.

Haslett, actually, made it worse. He learned bad lessons and drew false correlations. He was a worse head coach in 2004 then he was in 2000

Haslett the infallible

I think the problem with Haslett was deeper, in his mind he did not make mistakes. Hard to learn when you are perfect!

>>I'll be the voice of dissension here. I do like to see Payton growing as a coach, but it's tough to deny the fact that our best offensive players are fairly injury prone. Colston has had a few injury issues, Deuce is coming off his second surgery, Reggie has been nicked up in his career, Brown has had some knee issues, and Drew has had a fairly recent major surgery on his shoulder. Not to mention the fact that resting our starters has worked in the past. I won't lose any sleep over this, but still, I'll have to disagree.
__________________>>>

I don't think you should rest starters near the end of pre season so much. I think it contributed to the Saints slow start last season. I know the thread is for resting starters for the playoffs, but I can't help but think about our horrible start and how a lot of starters were not battle tested much in the pre-season

This is how I felt about resting players during the second Carolina game last year--thought it was a mistake b/c the team loses mo. I'm glad Payton is willing to be open minded about things.

but he also said , that we should run the ball more often. it never happens..... i like him as a offensive mastermind , but some of his repeating mistakes paired with his disabillity doing the right half-time/ingame injustements start me thinking that he is not able to learn.

was it parcells who said ,that payton sometimes become evil ?

but he also said , that we should run the ball more often. it never happens..... i like him as a offensive mastermind , but some of his repeating mistakes paired with his disabillity doing the right half-time/ingame injustements start me thinking that he is not able to learn.

was it parcells who said ,that payton sometimes become evil ?

"Gets the virus" was the phrase he applied to Payton.

I can't think of any Saints coach that has let the buck stop at his desk more than Payton. Not only that, but he is not too proud to admit his mistakes. :cool:

:gosaints:

lol...but if he does admit a mistake he fixes it during the week and runs the same play that cost the previous weeks game first......

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom