Coach Payton Press Conf Call 9-14-16 (1 Viewer)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sean Payton&#39;s Wednesday conference call (audio/notes): <a href="https://t.co/SGh1N8byqi">https://t.co/SGh1N8byqi</a> by <a href="https://twitter.com/JohnDeShazier">@JohnDeShazier</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Saints50?src=hash">#Saints50</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NOvsNYG?src=hash">#NOvsNYG</a> <a href="https://t.co/pk7WLmbOrx">pic.twitter.com/pk7WLmbOrx</a></p>&mdash; New Orleans Saints (@Saints) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saints/status/776072115946565633">September 14, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Takeaways from Sean Payton's Wednesday conference call
John DeShazier: Takeaways from Sean Payton's Wednesday conference call

Crawley just needs to learn how to turn his head around, several times he was in the position to make plays but was focused on the WR and couldn't attack the ball properly.

Things that we were seeing Breaux do better from last year, until he went down.

The two point conversion, Crawley could have easily made a play on the ball if he'd just turned his head around.

A lot of people keep saying "all he needs to do is turn his head". Maybe they're not good enough to turn their head and still be in position.

Payton said. &#8220;Oakland gave us, down the stretch, the same running play about three or four different times. Our ability to see, recognize &#8211; I think that&#8217;s the first thing.

This concerns me.....either the LB's or the DL weren't seeing things correctly and your LB's personally are the guys that primarily have the vision/whereabouts to diagnose runs.

I think back to preseason week 2 and Sean said "He looked better, better than the 1st game" in reference to Laurinitis. The team needs more spark players. Anthony's TFL was one more than Laurinitis had in far fewer snaps and Robertson did his thing.

Makes me wonder if the better LB crew would be

WLB:Ellerbe / MLB:Robertson / SLB:Anthony

Robertson isn't as big as Laurinitis in the middle but then again.....Laurinitis got swallowed up in the running game. Robertson had more splash plays and even missed 1 or 2. Ellerbe when he returns is another LB that just finds a way to the ball. Meanwhile Anthony hasn't been ideal in coverage but he's good for a TFL or 2 per game.

Finally Bell just seems like a kinda guy that is in the right place at the right time. Can't help but wonder if he was in there for Byrd on the Robertson tipped ball that he would have been there to make the pick. Speculation at its finest but currently the guys we are asking to be playmakers on this D aren't making plays. So we need more of those guys on the field.

Vaccaro definitely needs a little more energy next to him.

Crawley just needs to learn how to turn his head around, several times he was in the position to make plays but was focused on the WR and couldn't attack the ball properly.

Things that we were seeing Breaux do better from last year, until he went down.

The two point conversion, Crawley could have easily made a play on the ball if he'd just turned his head around.

He needs to fix a lot more than that. His tackling through the pre-season has been god awful. I've also seen more balls completed in front of him from big cushions more than I've seen him not be able to locate the ball. Sunday it looked clear to me that he'd located the ball........Crabtree wanted it more and made the play on it. For now my simple opinion of Crawley is the game is currently too big for him and he still needs some seasoning. He's confidently treading water in so many words. Not the guy you want playing at #2 this week.

If Byrd doesn't have a good game real soon, he could follow Spiller sooner than we may think.

If I remember correctly in the 2009 season, we started playing Malcom Jenkins on the outside at times. I wonder if we'll do the same this week with Vonn Bell. They have similar skill sets as guys who are safeties but played CB. I don't think we'll move Harris from the slot since he didn't look too bad there.

Maybe we can move Byrd to MLB and see if he can get in the action ?

If I remember correctly in the 2009 season, we started playing Malcom Jenkins on the outside at times. I wonder if we'll do the same this week with Vonn Bell. They have similar skill sets as guys who are safeties but played CB. I don't think we'll move Harris from the slot since he didn't look too bad there.

2009 was Malcom's rookie year and b4 he was pegged as a S. So we played him at NB but then either Greer/Porter was injured for a few games and we were forced to play him outside (To which he was beat like a drum). We then went out and signed guys like Chris McCallister and brought back Mike McKenzie to keep him out of that role.

Following year he was shifted to S and played that as well as NB and never saw outside CB duties again.

This concerns me.....either the LB's or the DL weren't seeing things correctly and your LB's personally are the guys that primarily have the vision/whereabouts to diagnose runs.

I think back to preseason week 2 and Sean said "He looked better, better than the 1st game" in reference to Laurinitis. The team needs more spark players. Anthony's TFL was one more than Laurinitis had in far fewer snaps and Robertson did his thing.

Robertson isn't as big as Laurinitis in the middle but then again.....Laurinitis got swallowed up in the running game. Robertson had more splash plays and even missed 1 or 2. Ellerbe when he returns is another LB that just finds a way to the ball. Meanwhile Anthony hasn't been ideal in coverage but he's good for a TFL or 2 per game.

Finally Bell just seems like a kinda guy that is in the right place at the right time. Can't help but wonder if he was in there for Byrd on the Robertson tipped ball that he would have been there to make the pick. Speculation at its finest but currently the guys we are asking to be playmakers on this D aren't making plays. So we need more of those guys on the field.

He needs to fix a lot more than that. His tackling through the pre-season has been god awful. I've also seen more balls completed in front of him from big cushions more than I've seen him not be able to locate the ball. Sunday it looked clear to me that he'd located the ball........Crabtree wanted it more and made the play on it. For now my simple opinion of Crawley is the game is currently too big for him and he still needs some seasoning. He's confidently treading water in so many words. Not the guy you want playing at #2 this week.

Well there's those things too, and I agree Crawley should have been a backup at best this season, and we most definitely don't need him starting this sunday.

But I think he has the tools to become a quality corner given time.

Also Bell is a ball hawk, but he too is a little green.

He had some bad angles during preseason that I think kept him from breaking the lineup. But Byrd took the same angles Sunday so :idunno:....

Payton said one of the advantages to using a three-man front is the ability to disguise. Can pressure from any side with the fourth man.
— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) September 14, 2016
<SCRIPT charset=utf-8 src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" async></SCRIPT>

Were they really disguising anything though? Most of the time it looked like they just ran their 3-5 men straight into the offensive lineman right in front of them. I didn't see much in the way of stunts or delayed blitzes.

Laurinitis is done. Shame, but true. He is just too slow now. You are spot on with the LBs, and mysteriously it looks like Mauti is now better than Stupar and may even deserve NFL playing time, especially if Ellerbe is out again with worms or a pulled eye or fistula of the withers or whatever.

Crawley is a good young guy in way over his head. Should be on PS, not covering OBJ. Life in the NFL, I guess.

Bell should just play. I've not seen evidence Byrd makes us any better than an average safety, and the 75 yard run was just unforgiveable. Too bad Sanford is hurt (yet another injury)

Pete Carmichael.

Sounds like he could absolutely be our full time OC.

Good information going forward. Can't let him get away from us if this season goes to the tubes. I think I want him staying on

If Byrd doesn't have a good game real soon, he could follow Spiller sooner than we may think.

I was so excited by the Byrd signing, but to me, this is guy who took the money and ran, and has no heart left for the game while trying to avoid injury. I think the defensive team will be better off with a high energy dedicated rookie with fire - and the learning mistakes along the way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom