Coach Payton Press Conf Call 9-14-16 (1 Viewer)

I was so excited by the Byrd signing, but to me, this is guy who took the money and ran, and has no heart left for the game while trying to avoid injury. I think the defensive team will be better off with a high energy dedicated rookie with fire - and the learning mistakes along the way.

Thats how I'm feeling at this point. I know Bell is young but if he makes a few plays while giving up some in the process of learning I can deal with that. Watching Byrd play passive while giving up plays waiting on him to look like 2013 Byrd in 2016 is just getting a bit old now.

As long as Bell doesn't go all Josh Bullocks I'll take the learning on the Fly if he can save a 70 yd run, or bat a ball out of the air....something.

Its really no coincidence that both Byrd/Bell were relatively quiet in Pre-Season but Bell had his splash Game 2 with 7tkls and a FF and also got his hand on a dropped INT. Meanwhile he intercepted 2 passes in practice along with making some solid tackles and "opening eyes" as it was put.

On the other end Byrd was unheard of until week 4 pre-season when he nabbed a pick in practice while in the REDZONE where it's compressed and more likely he'll reach the ball.

I don't see a guy who still has range to make a difference and without that range making tackles on open field runs, and not getting abused on PA calls becomes that much more important because if you aren't going to be making plays we def don't need you adding to the mistakes. Just be steadily average like Ingram. Say what you want about Ingram he's a lot of things........but he does not put the ball on the ground a lot. He rarely adds to the mistakes being made.

Only thing I can say is even throught the pre-season he's kept a lot of things in front of him and we haven't been beaten over the middle with a long deep ball. Intermediate catch and run yes.....but I haven't had that nervous feeling on Post routes when the QB chunks it up there...but still.....he's a 10mil guy right now. I need plays being made.

I saw Nick Underhill post pictures of the Depth that Byrd was playing.

He was typically about 23 yds off the ball. Someone retorted and posted other pictures of other safeties and pointed out most were about 15-20 yds.

Nicks response was 3 yds doesn't make a difference...and i partially agree but when you are constantly about 3yds late to the ball:idunno:

I saw Nick Underhill post pictures of the Depth that Byrd was playing.

He was typically about 23 yds off the ball. Someone retorted and posted other pictures of other safeties and pointed out most were about 15-20 yds.

Nicks response was 3 yds doesn't make a difference...and i partially agree but when you are constantly about 3yds late to the ball:idunno:

If it wasn't for cap implications we would have moved on from Byrd. This will be his last year here. I can't totally fault the front office for this one. There are rumors that his initial knee surgery was botched up. He never did look the same after tearing his meniscus.

Maybe we can move Byrd to MLB and see if he can get in the action ?

:hihi::hihi:

So we can see this?
Cq2H3qDVYAQjAPi.jpg

Crawley just needs to learn how to turn his head around, several times he was in the position to make plays but was focused on the WR and couldn't attack the ball properly.

Things that we were seeing Breaux do better from last year, until he went down.

The two point conversion, Crawley could have easily made a play on the ball if he'd just turned his head around.

Easier said than done. I remember Corey White had the same issue.... if if if

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Payton said one of the advantages to using a three-man front is the ability to disguise. Can pressure from any side with the fourth man.</p>&mdash; Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) <a href="https://twitter.com/jkatzenstein/status/776058148373180416">September 14, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Prove it, please.

if you cut a guy you're paying $4 million a season in favor of Travaris Cadet, the door is closed.

Running backs get injured a lot. It would be very unusual if we made it through the season without 1 or more of the RBs getting injured. Spiller would likely be the 1st call as a replacement. I could tell by the politically correct statement that Spiller made upon his release, praising the Saints as a 1st class organization. They are leaving the door open for his return in case a guy like Cadet and/or Murphy gets injured.

Thats how I'm feeling at this point. I know Bell is young but if he makes a few plays while giving up some in the process of learning I can deal with that. Watching Byrd play passive while giving up plays waiting on him to look like 2013 Byrd in 2016 is just getting a bit old now.

As long as Bell doesn't go all Josh Bullocks I'll take the learning on the Fly if he can save a 70 yd run, or bat a ball out of the air....something.

Its really no coincidence that both Byrd/Bell were relatively quiet in Pre-Season but Bell had his splash Game 2 with 7tkls and a FF and also got his hand on a dropped INT. Meanwhile he intercepted 2 passes in practice along with making some solid tackles and "opening eyes" as it was put.

On the other end Byrd was unheard of until week 4 pre-season when he nabbed a pick in practice while in the REDZONE where it's compressed and more likely he'll reach the ball.

I don't see a guy who still has range to make a difference and without that range making tackles on open field runs, and not getting abused on PA calls becomes that much more important because if you aren't going to be making plays we def don't need you adding to the mistakes. Just be steadily average like Ingram. Say what you want about Ingram he's a lot of things........but he does not put the ball on the ground a lot. He rarely adds to the mistakes being made.

Only thing I can say is even throught the pre-season he's kept a lot of things in front of him and we haven't been beaten over the middle with a long deep ball. Intermediate catch and run yes.....but I haven't had that nervous feeling on Post routes when the QB chunks it up there...but still.....he's a 10mil guy right now. I need plays being made.

We need Byrd to play well. Having to cut him would be a disaster financially.

We are finally out from under all the other old/bad contracts. Byrd is the only one left and we need him to work out long term. At least until 2018.

Running backs get injured a lot. It would be very unusual if we made it through the season without 1 or more of the RBs getting injured. Spiller would likely be the 1st call as a replacement. I could tell by the politically correct statement that Spiller made upon his release, praising the Saints as a 1st class organization. They are leaving the door open for his return in case a guy like Cadet and/or Murphy gets injured.

I just can't see a team not signing him pretty quickly. And likely for a few million.

That's better for us anyway. His contract has offset language. We recoup cap space up 1.6m earned with his new team.

I just can't see a team not signing him pretty quickly. And likely for a few million.

That's better for us anyway. His contract has offset language. We recoup cap space up 1.6m earned with his new team.

The Saints would not recoup cap space. They would recoup the cash. The 1.6m is dead no matter what happens to Spiller this year.

The Saints would not recoup cap space. They would recoup the cash. The 1.6m is dead no matter what happens to Spiller this year.

You are going to have to show me a source on that.

I can't find an exact quote, but every blurb I find says that we no longer have to account for the amount that is offset.

You are going to have to show me a source on that.

I can't find an exact quote, but every blurb I find says that we no longer have to account for the amount that is offset.

I think it's money on top of the $1.6 that would come off the books. I think the $1.6 is fully earned at this point. Maybe I misunderstood what I read this morning, but it sounded like he'd only cost us $1.6 this year if he gets picked up by some team, but costs us like $4 if he doesn't. I don't remember where the article was that I read it in. I think PFT.

All I know is the article made it out to sound like it would be much better for us if he got picked up, regardless of what the actual figure is in cash vs. cap space.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom