Coach Payton Press Conf Call 9-19-16 (1 Viewer)

Saints ran the ball 13 times for 3.2 YPC. Giants ran it 32 times for 2 YPC.

It's not about running it well. It's about sending a message.

And their offense scored 9 points compared to our 13, sometimes it's not about running at all. If the special teams o-line doesn't collapse and allow a blocked FG, we win.

Prediction: Lutz will lead the league in blocked FGs this season. I honestly think that it will be over 5...which is unheard of. There may have been poor protection...but it was yet another line driver. Even the one he made was a low driver. He also almost missed an XP week 1 on a line drive. It's a consistent problem.

It's was both low and bad blocking

Looked to me like he punched it low, I want to say I have seen him do that twice now.

Maybe it's just me.

Mostly bad blocking. With some more practice the young kicker will be fine. It's nice having kickers/punters with power. It kept us in the game and forced the Giants to go full length of the field almost every possession, it made a difference.

And their offense scored 9 points compared to our 13, sometimes it's not about running at all. If the special teams o-line doesn't collapse and allow a blocked FG, we win.

You can't dis member the game like that. In all honesty the Giants were on the doorstep to end the game. Just so happens they only needed a chip shot FG to win, so they took a knee there.

Saints should have run more. Payton admitted to this.

People gripe about the Saints not running the ball, but if you're only averaging 2-3 yards per carry, then what are you supposed to do?

13 carries is WAY too low of a number. Especially late in a game when the defense is winded. Payton said it himself it is too low of a number.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Payton said the Saints weren&#39;t good at right guard or right tackle on the blocked FG. Peat was RG, Armstead RT on the play.</p>&mdash; Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) <a href="https://twitter.com/jkatzenstein/status/777916210621124608">September 19, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Maybe we should play our LG and LT and LG and LT, respectively, then.

Well, for years people have begged him to give up the playcalling to Pete.

He's done that this year. I think the game dictated to Pete how he called it.

13 runs isn't much, but how many of those were 1st runs for little gain in which it was became an impossibility to run on 3rd and long by the time we got there?

The Giants on the other hand did move the ball (400 yards) and had a lot more opportunity to attempt to keep with the run.

Prediction: Lutz will lead the league in blocked FGs this season. I honestly think that it will be over 5...which is unheard of. There may have been poor protection...but it was yet another line driver. Even the one he made was a low driver. He also almost missed an XP week 1 on a line drive. It's a consistent problem.

You have no idea what the kick was coming off his foot considering it was blocked in the backfield. Whether it was a line drive or not, the blocking was the issue, not the kick.

Well, for years people have begged him to give up the playcalling to Pete.

He's done that this year. I think the game dictated to Pete how he called it.

13 runs isn't much, but how many of those were 1st runs for little gain in which it was became an impossibility to run on 3rd and long by the time we got there?

The Giants on the other hand did move the ball (400 yards) and had a lot more opportunity to attempt to keep with the run.

This is true, when you have 2nd and 3rd and longs, it really narrows your playbook quite a bit and running becomes difficult, but, that said, 13 runs is entirely too low. Sometimes a run here and there on those long downs is the thing to do. A 5 yard run can halve the yardage needed on the third down play, or create slightly better field position.

In field position battles like yesterday's was, every yard matters.

I wonder how many times Drew audibled out of running plays? It would be hard to lay the blame on the lack of running the ball if you don't know what is called (run vs throw). Also, I'm betting Drew isn't calling an audible to run the ball.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Payton said he thinks K Wil Lutz is doing well.</p>&mdash; Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) <a href="https://twitter.com/jkatzenstein/status/777916252148920321">September 19, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He also said that in regards to Cooks rookie year when we were using him as the PR.

"We feel like the blocking needs to be better, but we feel like we have the right guy returning the punts and we just need to do a better job at giving him lanes"

Brandin Cooks hasn't returned a punt since....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom