Coach Payton thinks full time refs are coming... (1 Viewer)

Redjem

Editor, Writer, Podcast Host and SR Twitter Ninja
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He was on SiriusXM discussing it today...

What good will "full time"refs do If the NFL still tells them to "make it more competitive" against certain teams not residing in a big market? Doesn't matter if they call them full time or not imo

What good will "full time"refs do If the NFL still tells them to "make it more competitive" against certain teams not residing in a big market? Doesn't matter if they call them full time or not imo

My hope is that full-time refs mean bigger repercussions for mistakes. First would be your full-time job being on the line. Not just your second job. It should create a different mentality and approach. Second is maybe fines, better training, better selection process and media availability become things.

Those are just hopes but I think it's better than doing nothing regardless.

My hope is that full-time refs mean bigger repercussions for mistakes. First would be your full-time job being on the line. Not just your second job. Second is maybe fines, better training and media availability become things.

Those are just hopes but I think it's better than doing nothing regardless.

I hope, but the NFL has definitely turned me into a skeptic that they are operating on the up and up here, and actually want to have the problem fixed. I think they like it just like it is... the shield has lost a great deal of it's shine.

:sir-saint: <------------ not that shield though.

Last edited:
Yeah, okay.... This would be a "nice gesture"...

Sort of like adding a rule to allow for the replay of pass interference calls, but never actually allowing it to be used to correct anything...

It doesn't matter who is out there making the calls... if there isn't a system in place that demands consistency, holds refs accountable for mistakes, and allows for game changing corrections (no matter the situation) to be made.

Saw this story posted on the interwebs yesterday, with the story saying he was interviewed Tuesday. I don't have XM Radio, so I'll take it that he indeed spoke Tuesday.

Will be interesting indeed to see if the league would want to deal with two labor unions on a consistent basis instead of just one. Overall, I think, the reffing profession suffers from an institutional knowledge problem. All the well-known competent refs from the older days are either dead or retired. The current batch looks about as confident making a call on the field as a high schooler giving a speech in front of class for the first time.

A dream would be a larger pool of referees with better calibration and accountability.

playoff / Super Bowl referees determined by vote of all 32 head coaches.

If you’re going to fine players for uniform violations and incidental contact to the head or neck area, then you’ve GOT to fine or suspend referees that blow calls or delay games with incompetence.

A dream would be a larger pool of referees with better calibration and accountability.

playoff / Super Bowl referees determined by vote of all 32 head coaches.

If you’re going to fine players for uniform violations and incidental contact to the head or neck area, then you’ve GOT to fine or suspend referees that blow calls or delay games with incompetence.

And for gosh sake, keep the crews together, and grade them on every game. If they habitually make the same bad calls, discipline them. Let them feel the same pressure as the teams they officiate.

Saw this story posted on the interwebs yesterday, with the story saying he was interviewed Tuesday. I don't have XM Radio, so I'll take it that he indeed spoke Tuesday.

Will be interesting indeed to see if the league would want to deal with two labor unions on a consistent basis instead of just one. Overall, I think, the reffing profession suffers from an institutional knowledge problem. All the well-known competent refs from the older days are either dead or retired. The current batch looks about as confident making a call on the field as a high schooler giving a speech in front of class for the first time.

They don't have to deal with a union. They could simply make them NFL employees.

The entire officiating program needs independent, 3rd party oversight. I really dont care who pays or employs the officials. Without accountability, transparency & auditing of this activity nothing changes. Any on field ruling is still only a phone call to NFL HQ from being overruled or ignored even with full time officials. And dont get me started on the black box that is the NFL review center in NY.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom