Coach Payton thoughts on Rob Ryan (1 Viewer)

jokerface

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
"I know this, and not having really spent any time with Rob prior to this process beginning, I did a lot of research on him and spoke to almost everybody that I know that's ever been with him and a ton of other people with different organizations," Payton said. "Number one, I know he's passionate about the game. I know he's very intelligent and players love playing for him.

"He's a very loyal guy. All the coaches I've spoken to that he's worked with have all said he's done a great job of putting together defenses and understanding strengths and weaknesses of his team. He was always difficult for us to prepare for in the times that we've competed against him.
Sean Payton sees a role for Jonathan Vilma in new New Orleans Saints 3-4 defense | NOLA.com

Only keep Vilma on the cheap
Like the Vick deal
1 year 5M?

Still way too much for Vilma. Cutting him would save around $6 million, so that contract would only save the team $1 million. I think the salary cut would have to be much more significant to consider keeping him.

Still way too much for Vilma. Cutting him would save around $6 million, so that contract would only save the team $1 million. I think the salary cut would have to be much more significant to consider keeping him.

I don't think Payton would be talking so openly about Vilma unless he has already offered to restructure his contract.

What I found a little odd in the article is that Payton said he got to watch Rob Ryan a lot this season because he watched almost all of the Cowboys games because they were always on local TV. Which kinda makes me think he didn't have the NFL ticket otherwise he wouldn't be stuck with watching only what was being shown on local TV. Which also makes me wonder how many Saints games he was actually able to watch last season? Half? I would've thought he would want to have seen them all. Maybe someone provided him with game tapes...

What I found a little odd in the article is that Payton said he got to watch Rob Ryan a lot this season because he watched almost all of the Cowboys games because they were always on local TV. Which kinda makes me think he didn't have the NFL ticket otherwise he wouldn't be stuck with watching only what was being shown on local TV. Which also makes me wonder how many Saints games he was actually able to watch last season? Half? I would've thought he would want to have seen them all. Maybe someone provided him with game tapes...

SP got game film of all the teams later in the week. I guess he was just watching whichever live games he could.

I don't think Payton would be talking so openly about Vilma unless he has already offered to restructure his contract.

Yep. I have feeling that they've always had a good relationship, and Vilma is definitely well respected. Don't think Payton would get his hopes up if he didn't plan to keep him one way or another.

What concerns me most though is Vilma's sudden drop from a top-5, probowl caliber LB to basically a scrub as soon as the Jets converted from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Not saying its the same exact circumstance, but the evidence that he does not excel in a 3-4 defense is definitely there.

SP got game film of all the teams later in the week. I guess he was just watching whichever live games he could.

How did he get them? I thought he wasn't allowed to have any contact? I guess the NFL provided them?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom