Coach Pete: Education on Pro Player Conditioning (1 Viewer)

But he has advanced and learned more DE moves? It's obvious his ability has improved in both the film room and on the field. He's now the main piece in the stunt game, and his role has expanded just like Rankins' did in his second season. he's being asked to do a lot more than his rookie year, and he's done it well through two games so far. Sure, there are still things he needs to improve on, but it's obvious what they worked on/focused on in the offseason and that he's picked up much of that pretty quickly.

Thats been my biggest ??? when anyone have brought up Davenport so far this year. His film has been good stuff. Not everyplay is designed to fill up a box score and I think thats where a lot of people can get caught up. Not knocking Coach Pete or anything, but Davenport is performing this year as he is being asked to. Coach gives some nice insight into athletic training. We'll see if he (Davenport) becomes that generational guy, but always thought that would take years to get him there.

Example:

Mini-thread:

I think that Pete is arguing that an all world talent should be playing like an all world talent. Right now he is playing “solid” or “doing what’s he’s being asked to do”. Pete attributes it to conditioning, which is a very plausible explanation. I don’t think that Pete is saying that Davenport sucks. He’s saying that this far he has not put in the world necessary to tap his elite ability. I think that is a very fair statement. Hopefully Davenports offseason regimen improves and he comes into 2021 looking like an elite defensive player.

I think that Pete is arguing that an all world talent should be playing like an all world talent. Right now he is playing “solid” or “doing what’s he’s being asked to do”. Pete attributes it to conditioning, which is a very plausible explanation. I don’t think that Pete is saying that Davenport sucks. He’s saying that this far he has not put in the world necessary to tap his elite ability. I think that is a very fair statement. Hopefully Davenports offseason regimen improves and he comes into 2021 looking like an elite defensive player.

I guess its all about expectations then? I don't know any other scout or coach in the NFL who expected Davenport to be rocking the world by this point. The average sack output for 1st round DEs is 3-4 sacks in their rookie season, depending on how many years back you go with your sample size. Def trickles down after you get out of the top 10

You think someone going back and forth telling this person "he said this" then telling the other "he said this" is great? I don't.

Pete said that Davenport has elite ability but didn’t put in the work asked of him during the offseason and it’s the reason why he isn’t looking like a pro bowl player right now. He said that he did look better week two, perhaps because his conditioning is improving. I think that all of that is very reasonable explanations. I just don’t think you like what he has to say...which is fine.

Last edited:
Do you think that offseason conditioning is important?

I do, and no one I talk to in/around the facility has ever mentioned Davenport struggling in that area.

Edit: he did have surgery in the offseason, and had to work a bit from that in terms of "extra conditioning". But, thats every player. I don't know of any work ethic complaints.

Has anyone ever given you insight on a poorly conditioned player before?

Yes. That stuff gets talked about when it happens, as coaches aren't happy (as you can imagine). That was one of the big things about Dez Bryant's workouts that was noted, was that he wasn't in great shape yet.

Yes. That stuff gets talked about when it happens, as coaches aren't happy (as you can imagine). That was one of the big things about Dez Bryant's workouts that was noted, was that he wasn't in great shape yet.

From Dez Bryant it was an expectation that he would be out if shape and it’d be something even Dez would admit because of his long absence from the game. So saying “we’re working on conditioning would be fine.” It would not be the expectation that a 2nd year player you just spent two 1st round picks on would arrive to camp out of shape without a good reason. I also would find it surprising if Saints coaching or medical staff would share that with you...with all due respect. That’s typically not the way they handle business. They did it with Breaux and it predictably blew up in their face. Medical and training staff intentionally avoid the media.

Any chance whatsoever that coaches didn't want Davenport showing newly-learned moves during the preseason? Recall how film study of JJ Watt's tendencies helped Ryan Ramczyk neutralize Watt in Week 1. Maybe coaches wanted to keep the stuff Davenport was working on under wraps during preseason?

Not that Davenport was asked to play "gently" or asked to play half-speed. Perhaps he was told in preseason to just play "basic" ... just bull your guy, try to stand him up and beat him physically if you can -- and if not, that's fine too.

From Dez Bryant it was an expectation that he would be out if shape and it’d be something even Dez would admit because of his long absence from the game. So saying “we’re working on conditioning would be fine.” It would not be the expectation that a 2nd year player you just spent two 1st round picks on would arrive to camp out of shape without a good reason. I also would find it surprising if Saints coaching or medical staff would share that with you...with all due respect. That’s typically not the way they handle business. They did it with Breaux and it predictably blew up in their face. Medical and training staff intentionally avoid the media.

Okie doke, and thats fine, but this stuff gets out. That information isn't limited to the medical/coaching staff. We're also not talking about serious injury information, which is harder to get, but lets use that as an example. Alex Anzalone's injury was "known" about by most when it happened. The problem as a reporter is verifying it (which you need the player/coach to do) so that you can report on it. That's just not gonna happen, especially in Camp/Preseason. Yet its still known.

Pete said that Davenport has elite ability but didn’t put in the work asked of him during the offseason and it’s the reason why he isn’t looking like a pro bowl player right now. He said that he did look better week two, perhaps because his conditioning is improving. I think that all of that is very reasonable explanations. I just don’t think you like what he has to say...which is fine.

You are not grasping what I am saying. I am talking about the purpose of this thread. I am referring to Reggie09MVP posting something here, Swimmer going to coach Pete with "he said this about you", then Swimmer coming back here with "well coach Pete said this about you". Gossipy drama.

You are not grasping what I am saying. I am talking about the purpose of this thread. I am referring to Reggie09MVP posting something here, Swimmer going to coach Pete with "he said this about you", then Swimmer coming back here with "well coach Pete said this about you". Gossipy drama.

Gotcha. Missed that. You’re right

Coach Pete with "smack my bia up" award. I'm still on the Davenport train. Dude is gonna beast it up. This season. Bet on it per Non - Coach L.

Not for nothing but you don't have to be an NFL insider to hear this kind of information. We're not talking about some mysterious injury. We're talking about whether or not a dude came into camp in shape. That seems like something that would be apparent to the people who cover the Saints.

Or even for the average fan. It's not that difficult to see when a guy isn't in shape.

And btw, not all info comes from the coaching or medical staff. There's a lot of people in the organization and people talk. They can't help it.

Not for nothing but you don't have to be an NFL insider to hear this kind of information. We're not talking about some mysterious injury. We're talking about whether or not a dude came into camp in shape. That seems like something that would be apparent to the people who cover the Saints.

Or even for the average fan. It's not that difficult to see when a guy isn't in shape.

And btw, not all info comes from the coaching or medical staff. There's a lot of people in the organization and people talk. They can't help it.

It’s easy to see when a guy is gassed and puking on the sidelines. It’s less easy to see that a player doesn’t play with consistency and plays higher than they should. That’s subtle. And realize that trainers have very high standards for their athletes. Just because the standard hasn’t been met doesn’t mean that the player is a complete slug. It just means that they aren’t completely living up to their potential.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom