Coach Pete Insights on Saints after Falcon Horror Show! (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
He wasn't worried about the loss.

1) This happens to all teams. Getting a team ready to battle with confidence so the team can win games is one of the most critical jobs of a head coach. Often times, the coach relaxes just a bit and the players relax even more. Sometimes teams are just flat. They will be back fully engaged this week. They are still one of the elite teams in the league

2) This was the Falcons Super Bowl. The players on the sidelines were high fiving like they were winning the SB. The Saints came out flat and the Falcons sky high. Perfect storm for a Saints loss and the Saints still had a legit chance to win the game in the 4th quarter

3) Coach Sean may have an interesting dilemma if Brees has another off week. In a number of cases, many coaches would have pulled Drew in the beginning of the 4th Quarter. Brees was taking a beating and he is 40 years old now and he could not ignite the team. As a coach, you darn well know your team is real flat by 4th quarter and the team needs a jolt. To win that game, if that was the sole goal, putting Bridgewater in at QB in the 4th quarter is the move to make to win that game. Teddy is a real hot QB, getting better every game. When Bridgewater was leading the Saints, that team did not even half a single flat quarter. Subbing Teddy would have given the Saints the best chance to win that game mainly because he might have been able to spark the team. But Coach Sean knew that if Bridgewater led the team to victory, that could well have destroyed Brees' confidence. And Brees is still the best option at QB for a Saints SB this year. In the future, if a similar situation arises, Coach Sean may have to pull Brees and see if Teddy can light a fire under the team. But no one needs to even discuss the amount of drama that could cause on the team. It could be dramatic and the end of Brees career

4) I was wrong about Bridgewater. He is better than I thought and he aces the intangible leadership quality. I believe he will be the starting QB for the Saints next year

5) The Saints have plenty enough playmakers on offense to win the SB. They don't need any more receivers. The team is loaded with elite skill position players. Give Brees time and I believe the receivers would have come open

6) The teams no one wants to play in each conference are Baltimore and Seattle. Both teams appear to be peaking. Lamar Jackson is the real deal. He creates havoc for defenses and he's a lethal weapon. This is another case of a QB acting as team leader who has all the players giving 100% for him every week, like Teddy did.

Enjoy! It's never dull with Coach Pete

Folks gonna put a hit out on coach Pete for #3&4. :100:

I kinda expect that. But one of the key things I like about Pete is that he doesn't sugarcoat his beliefs for popularity. He calls it as he sees it. He went a little further with Brees saying that he doesn't have all the arm strength he had before the injury. Not being familiar with the kind of surgery that Brees had, he's unsure what to expect from Brees recovery as to whether he will regain full arm strength which as we all know, is not what it used to be. He said that when a team has a 40 yo QB, anything can happen on any play. He did add that no player in the league dedicates themselves to recovery like Brees. "If it can be done, Brees will do it."

Coach would never bench Brees. Not a chance. That is crazy!

Coach Pete was caught in the "Would or should" conversation about benching Brees. He expects Brees and the team to come out on fire next week and this Falcon debacle will be all behind the team.

Pete lost some cred with me on that. Teddy isnt sparking a damn thing. Put Teddy in against the Falcons on that day, and their sack total probably doubles. Getting better each week isnt nearly as good as Drew's worst.

Nothing Teddy would have done would have had any effect on Drews confidence.

I kinda expect that. But one of the key things I like about Pete is that he doesn't sugarcoat his beliefs for popularity. He calls it as he sees it. He went a little further with Brees saying that he doesn't have all the arm strength he had before the injury. Not being familiar with the kind of surgery that Brees had, he's unsure what to expect from Brees recovery as to whether he will regain full arm strength which as we all know, is not what it used to be. He said that when a team has a 40 yo QB, anything can happen on any play. He did add that no player in the league dedicates themselves to recovery like Brees. "If it can be done, Brees will do it."

Thing is, Brees had nothing to do with this loss. Not sure what he was supposed to do when he wasn't being guarded long enough to make plays. He couldn't go out there and play defense neither.

32-45 with 287 yards. No INT's. We had no run game. I don't get it.

Facepalm emote for Coach Pete on this one.

Thing is, Brees had nothing to do with this loss. Not sure what he was supposed to do when he wasn't being guarded long enough to make plays. He couldn't go out there and play defense neither.

32-45 with 287 yards. No INT's. I don't get it.

Facepalm emote for Coach Pete on this one.

I hear you loud and clear. Personally, I never even thought once about benching Brees for Teddy so it was a shock to me today when Coach Pete said that.

I agree and for the record Drew would have to have a series of bad games for that to even be considered. I just think we are at a crossroads with a guy that's a legend but 40 years old; with a respectable starter on the bench. I think winning the Bowl this year is essential because Drew's window is closing.

3. A healthy Brees will not get pulled in favor of Bridgewater. There is a 0.00% chance of that happening. Just look at what he did in his first game back. Teddy has never looked that good in his career.

4. I feel confident Brees will be back next year. Obviously could be wrong because there is no way to know for sure. But I will be shocked if he retires. The team will still be in a position to be the best in the NFL.

This upsets me. This game was not Brees fault. Teddy would of lost the game as well with the way the WHOLE team fell flat. 6 sacks? That offline was garbage, teddy would of gotten sacked 7-8 times brees escaped a few.

Also, brees doesnt play defense so what was the excuse not stopping the run or all them hands to the face penalties?

Sure..teddy was the answer.

I like Bridgewater but to say we didn't have a single flat quarter under him is ridiculous.
Exactly and very few QBs would pull their starting QB (let along a QB like Brees) in the 4th quarter to "give the team a jolt." This is not college. Can you imagine Brady getting yanked to give the team a "jolt?" Very odd comments.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom