Coach Pete Insights on Saints after Falcon Horror Show! (2 Viewers)

The only thing I'll nitpick with Coach Pete on this is the comment regarding Teddy possibly sparking the team to victory having anything to do with Drew's confidence being "destroyed." I think it would have been a slap in Drew's face to do that, but I think it would have had zero impact on his confidence. He's a confidence machine. I think the flat/relaxed commentary is spot on. Thanks for the update!

Pete lost some cred with me on that. Teddy isnt sparking a damn thing. Put Teddy in against the Falcons on that day, and their sack total probably doubles. Getting better each week isnt nearly as good as Drew's worst.

Nothing Teddy would have done would have had any effect on Drews confidence.

would the team have played better with Teddy? I’m pretty confident that they couldn’t have played worse. I don’t think that Teddywould have “sparked” the Saints...but they probably wound have played better if Teddy would have started.

When Teddy was the starter everyone played like every play mattered. The team came out with a good game plan and executed. Neither happened past week. This has always happened with Brees...the team has had letdown games...poor game planning, poor focus, poor execution. I think that the team knows that it can’t afford to be complacent with Teddy.

I kinda expect that. But one of the key things I like about Pete is that he doesn't sugarcoat his beliefs for popularity. He calls it as he sees it. He went a little further with Brees saying that he doesn't have all the arm strength he had before the injury. Not being familiar with the kind of surgery that Brees had, he's unsure what to expect from Brees recovery as to whether he will regain full arm strength which as we all know, is not what it used to be. He said that when a team has a 40 yo QB, anything can happen on any play. He did add that no player in the league dedicates themselves to recovery like Brees. "If it can be done, Brees will do it."
It's not a matter of sugar coating, his evaluation of Bridgewater is a bit optimistic, to put it mildly. TB did a very good fill-in job but he wasn't going to save the day last Sunday. Plus the string of negatives that would come from benching Brees at that point would be disastrous.

I like Teddy. Love having him on board. Appreciate him keeping the team at the top of the standings in Drew's absence. But that Atlanta game was ugly on many, many fronts. A "spark" wasn't on the bench with Bridgewater.

Last edited:
So I am writing off everything from coach pete after suggesting Saints had a better chance to win by putting him in Q4. Crazy.

no coach would put Teddy in just to see if he sparks in a game you are going to lose anyway. There is no QB contraversy. But if you did that you would give the appearance of one. .

Two things:

I disagree that we have enough weapons (receivers). We need another veteran who understands zones and is strong enough to get open in press coverage.

I agree nobody wants to face Seattle and Baltimore....right now. If we have learned nothing, it is that you want to start your peaking at the end of the season and not in the middle. Nobody can sustain dominance/excellence for more than 6 or so weeks. We want to hit our peak in December and I don't believe Seattle and Baltimore will be teams in the conversation come December. They will be good but not feared by that point.

Coach Pete just **** the bed if he even entertains the idea that Brees was at fault enough Sunday to possibly be pulled for Bridgewater. Brees is excellent at feeling pressure and extending plays, so him taking so many sacks is an indication that the O-line was playing poorly and that the coverage was good. Bridgewater, who I am not knocking at all, was somewhat bad at detecting and escaping pressure in the pocket. Not always, but being fair, Brees was/is head and shoulders better than Bridgewater in this area. Bridgewater would not have fared any better than Brees. Honestly, I am shocked that someone as knowledgeable as Coach Pete would draw such poorly constructed conclusions.

IMHO, of course.

Coach Pete just **** the bed if he even entertains the idea that Brees was at fault enough Sunday to possibly be pulled for Bridgewater. Brees is excellent at feeling pressure and extending plays, so him taking so many sacks is an indication that the O-line was playing poorly and that the coverage was good. Bridgewater, who I am not knocking at all, was somewhat bad at detecting and escaping pressure in the pocket. Not always, but being fair, Brees was/is head and shoulders better than Bridgewater in this area. Bridgewater would not have fared any better than Brees. Honestly, I am shocked that someone as knowledgeable as Coach Pete would draw such poorly constructed conclusions.

IMHO, of course.
That’s because it’s swimmers thoughts not “petes’”

Sean Payton simply didn't have him team ready to play on Sunday and game planning seemed to be lacking.

My only question regarding Drew is how often he checked out of called runs when he thought he saw something in the passing game. They got away from the run awfully quick and I wonder if Atlanta knew they could give Drew looks to make him check out of those called runs and, therefore, throw off the game plan (establish the run, control the clock) that has been working so well for us. Just wondering if that issue was more on Payton or Brees.

Agree with those who mentioned throwing Taysom in there. I was really surprised we did not see more of him at QB, particularly in the 2nd half. I think he only took one or two snaps at QB throughout the game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom