Coach Pete Insights on Saints after Falcon Horror Show! (1 Viewer)

Jesus Christ, Sunday cant come soon enough to stop this ignorant crap

would the team have played better with Teddy? I’m pretty confident that they couldn’t have played worse. I don’t think that Teddywould have “sparked” the Saints...but they probably wound have played better if Teddy would have started.

When Teddy was the starter everyone played like every play mattered. The team came out with a good game plan and executed. Neither happened past week. This has always happened with Brees...the team has had letdown games...poor game planning, poor focus, poor execution. I think that the team knows that it can’t afford to be complacent with Teddy.
I understand what you are saying. If Brees was still hurt and hadn't already started a game, I agree the rest of the team would have brought their A-game, because they are well aware that Teddy ain't winning a game for them; but rather, just trying to not lose. With a healthy Brees, they aren't preparing or thinking that way. Even if Sean wanted to do some load management and sit Brees against a woeful opponent, I think you'd still get the same flat performance because "well if coach doesn't think we need Drew, this is gonna be easy" mindset creeps in.

Thanks Coach Pete, but if this was the Falcons Super Bowl, shouldn't we have staged a massive comeback and won the game!
haha. Missed your post before I posted mine above.
I actually was thinking that during the game. How appropriate it would be if the Saints came back and won in the Falcons “Super Bowl.” But it was not meant to be.

Thing is, Brees had nothing to do with this loss. Not sure what he was supposed to do when he wasn't being guarded long enough to make plays. He couldn't go out there and play defense neither.

32-45 with 287 yards. No INT's. We had no run game. I don't get it.

Facepalm emote for Coach Pete on this one.

11 rush attempts and 45 pass attempts was the reason why the Saints had no run game.

Failing to establish a running game not only put the Oline in position to fail but it also put the defense in a bad spot as well.

I wouldn't be too quick to say that Brees had nothing to do with the loss because he has the freedom to change any play at the line of scrimmage and we don't know how many times he checked out of running plays and threw the ball.

11 rush attempts and 45 pass attempts was the reason why the Saints had no run game.

Failing to establish a running game not only put the Oline in position to fail but it also put the defense in a bad spot as well.

I wouldn't be too quick to say that Brees had nothing to do with the loss because he has the freedom to change any play at the line of scrimmage and we don't know how many times he checked out of running plays and threw the ball.
One of my first thoughts after seeing the disparity of 45 pass/11 rush attempts was how many times did Drew audible from run to pass. Not suggesting Drew is at fault for anything but the thought did cross my mind. It was just a big swing from what was the norm for the last month or so.

Last edited:
When Teddy was the starter everyone played like every play mattered. The team came out with a good game plan and executed. Neither happened past week. This has always happened with Brees...the team has had letdown games...poor game planning, poor focus, poor execution. I think that the team knows that it can’t afford to be complacent with Teddy.
Its always happened with Brees but that doesn’t mean it happen because of Brees. Its just a matter if math. Look at the sample size you have with Bridgewater V Brees. Brees has played 225 games so with a sample size that big, of course you’ll find some clunkers and I bet I can find a dozen or so clunkers by NE over the past decade too but when given the option to go with Jimmy Goropolo, who didn’t have any clunkers with NE, they went with the guy that had a dozen clunkers on his resume.

Agreed.

That's why I haven't participated in the "we need a #2 WR ASAP"...……."we're not as good as we thought"...……."time to lower expectations" blah blah blah nonsense.

Show me an above-average or great Payton-era Saints team and I can show you a flat / mediocre game:

2006 - Redskins (which isn't even counting some of those AFC North games earlier in the year)

2009 - Cowboys and Bucs, back to back.

2010 - Cardinals...Browns

2011 - Bucs...Rams

2013 - Jets...Rams

2017 - 0-2 start / Falcons on TNF

2018 - Dallas
True. I like this list. There is also the 5 INT game against the Falcons. Brees was not horrible but was to blame for 2-3 of the sacks by missing open WR's and holding on to the ball too long and not being able to extend plays. But Brees did not lose the game. The team did (minus MT, TH, ML, Harris and Lutz)

I think Coach Pete is dead wrong about the QB situation. Brees was clearly determined to come back as soon as he could, I think that is a good indication that he will play next year. I like Bridgewater but I really think he will be a starting QB elsewhere this season....

The Ravens and Jackson are riding high right now but IMO it is only a matter of time before he gets injured if they continue to expose him in the running game 10-15 times a game....

I think Coach Pete is dead wrong about the QB situation. Brees was clearly determined to come back as soon as he could, I think that is a good indication that he will play next year. I like Bridgewater but I really think he will be a starting QB elsewhere this season....

The Ravens and Jackson are riding high right now but IMO it is only a matter of time before he gets injured if they continue to expose him in the running game 10-15 times a game....

Hey sfidc3 - I don't know myself. I sure hope Brees can play at a high level for 2-3 more years. I'm just relaying what Coach Pete says. In the early offseason, Coach Pete said that Brees told the FO and SP that this was his last year and to plan for life beyond him. This was no speculation. He got this from a very reliable source. But as Coach Pete said, "If Brees wins another SB this years and thinks they can repeat next year, I've been following Brees since High school, and I don't see how he stop himself from playing another year."

But anyone else notice that there has been no conversations between Brees agents and the Saints about contract past this season. Personally, I do not like that.

This was the 1st one of his I didn't like. Saying that TB will be the starting QB next year? Is this saying that Drew is going to retire? No way. Drew will play another 2 or 3 seasons.

I really stopped posting because I don't want to continue to say this. I know how terrified many fans are of this but......... Brees is 40 and eventually it will start to show but the team might not be able to move on until Brees decides he is done. The fans will have a hard time when this happens. As far as the game against Atlanta, I knew Payton would not pull Brees even though he was taking a beating. TA had the flu...he was playing like it. Peat left with a broken arm and Clapp was not very good. I hope that we are able to keep Teddy Bridgewater even if that means that Brees retires. Some fans will retire with Brees and I understand. The Saints never won diddly before Brees and many don't believe the Saints will win diddly when he is gone. But I believe the Saints are a well built team that is well prepared for this transition even though the fans may not be ready.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom