Coach Pete Saint's Weekly: Teddy, Kamara, Coach Payton and more.... (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
He was busy in the gym today, but he rattled off a bunch in spurts. Hope I got this....

1) That game last week was won by the O-line. Nobody laid a hair on Bridgewater. I know you want Teddy to succeed Drew, but in all candor, half the QBs in the league would have looked that good behind the Saints O-line last week. That's about as good as an NFL O-line can play

2) It was promising to see that Bridgewater can throw downfield with accuracy and touch. That is very promising. But Bridgewater is a 2-read QB, like most of the NFL QBs. What makes Brees and Brady so elite is how quickly they go through complete 4-man reads. I want to see if Teddy can throw the ball downfield with accuracy under pressure. I'm still not sold that Bridgewater is the replacement

3) Can't tell you what a great job Coach Sean is doing. Many coaches reach the head coach level and never grow beyond that. Coach Payton continues to evolve and grow as a head coach. What you Who Dats are seeing is one of the greatest coaching jobs I've ever seen. I am very happily wrong believing that not even Coach Payton could get this team back to SB level after the 2-heart breaking season-ending losses back to back. As a head coach, I can tell you it's brutal to try and get a team to believe in themselves when the championship is taken from them by officiating. And throw-in the Vikings heart-break loss and it's simply amazing how Coach Sean has his team back 100% emotionally

4) A few years ago (2017 season) I told you early in the season when the Saints were struggling that your Saints were the most complete team in the league. Now you can see the results of having a complete team. And every year over the last 3-years, Coach Sean has improved the special teams.

5) Kamara - Don't know what to say! He makes the Sean Payton offense so lethal. I sit back in the evening sometimes and think about how I would try to stop Kamara. I don't have an answer. With Thomas as the most powerful WR in the league and that top notch O-line, Kamara is simply a nightmare to defend. He can break any play and his awareness on screens is getting better and better. Blitz and Brees or Bridgewater dumps to Kamara on Thomas side. I can't tell you how valuable it is to have top blocking WRs and Thomas is so tough and physical, he's like having a fast pulling guard infront of Kamara. The game is changing and the new elite RBs are the power scatbacks. Just look at the kid in Carolina. You can't defend him either. (Note: Pete was a scatback and returner in college. Only Division IIa, but still that's what he did. So I asked him how he would like to be young and playing in the current state NFL. He thought for a second, then beamed a smile from ear to ear. To which I said, "Pete, you need to wipe your mouth with Kleenex. You are drooling. He just smiled!)

6) As a Saints fan, it's hard for you to realize how good and physical the Saints defense is. It's top 5. And that a very smart, very quick and powerful defense. They beat-up on offenses and hurt them physically. Offenses do not want to play the Saints anymore. All the offensive players know they will be spending many hours in ice tubs after playing that Saints defense

7) (When I budged him on Teddy again)... A few weeks ago, I was pretty sure the replacement for Brees was not on the team, including Hill. Hill is a very athletic one-read QB. Those type QBs don't last long in the NFL and I doubt he can learn multiple regression reads at his age. He is a disruptive force for defenses, but I think Coach Sean is using him to his best. And I know personally that Coach Sean has a few more tricks and key plays up his sleeve for Hill this year. Many Super Bowls have been won by teams with 2 progressions read QBs. If Coach Payton can keep a top O-line infront of Bridgewater, he may be good enough to be Brees replacement. No one will replace Brees, but Teddy also showed me something I did not know about him. Bridgewater is a true leader and players love him. And I mean love him. I know this for sure. (To which I asked, You have insider on that, right?)...You are a halfway smart guy. And you are going to ask me that dumb question again. I don't give away my sources as he told me to get back to workout. (When he wants me out of his hair, he tells me to go jog. It's a small gym so we job distance outside and he gets me out of his hair - Imagine that - lol)

I hope you all enjoy even if you don't agree. Pete likes good debates. He knows that he definitely does not know everything. When I dug into his knowledge of trying to stop Kamara he told me that any high school or college head coach knows everything I told you about how disruptive Kamara is. I asked him to predict the winner this week of the Saints game and he said "No." I think Jacksonville will play tougher than many suspect. They are not going to let Teddy sit in clean pockets all day like Tampa did last week. I want to see how Bridgewater handles the pressure. But I don't think we will see battles like Seattle or Dallas. Now that SP knows Bridgewater can go downfield, he will use that card if simply to keep defenses honest and not stacking against Kamara."

I think Payton took a lot of offense to the media telling him he can't do it without Brees

You know how prideful and self willed Payton is... He took all that challenge and doubt and flipped it into a coaching Renaissance.

I think Payton took a lot of offense to the media telling him he can't do it without Bridgewater.

You know how prideful and self willed Payton is... He took all that challenge and doubt and flipped it into a coaching Renaissance.

Coach Pete told me in 2016 (??), and I had only been working out under Pete for about 2-years, so I didn't know him as well as I do now. He emphatically said that Goodell was absolutely trying to have Coach Payton banned from the league, and he was strong in the accuracy of his sources. So short of a lifetime ban, Goodell did everything in his power to break Sean Payton. Goodell never wanted Payton to win another championship. Coach Pete is a huge fan of Coach Payton but after the three 7-9 seasons, he was afraid that Goodell did break Payton. So for Pete to see Coach Sean leading an elite team in the league for 3-years now, with or without Brees, Pete believes is a testament to not only a truly great coach but also a truly great man

Coach Pete told me in 2016 (??), and I had only been working out under Pete for about 2-years, so I didn't know him as well as I do now. He emphatically said that Goodell was absolutely trying to have Coach Payton banned from the league, and he was strong in the accuracy of his sources. So short of a lifetime ban, Goodell did everything in his power to break Sean Payton. Goodell never wanted Payton to win another championship. Coach Pete is a huge fan of Coach Payton but after the three 7-9 seasons, he was afraid that Goodell did break Payton. So for Pete to see Coach Sean leading an elite team in the league for 3-years now, with or without Brees, Pete believes is a testament to not only a truly great coach but also a truly great man
why did he want him out the league so bad? just for bountygate?

Because Goodell sure seems to be a nasty, vindictive *** ** * *****, which is not terribly inconsistent with the massive ego he clearly possesses. He loves his power and authority, and anybody who does not kiss the ring is a threat. Payton didn't meekly submit, so it was necessary to eliminate him.

Just like with the end of last season, Park Avenue made the same mistake again.

They left some of us alive.

I'll do my best on memory here from old Pete sharings....
1) Goodell was incensed that Sean Payton showed up to the morning after SB press conference clearly still lit. And supposedly smelling like he was
2) Sean Payton was very straight forward in criticizing the NFL, the refs and Goodell. Goodell was trying to clean-up the old Buddy Ryan wild-card, outspoke head coaches so that the coaches would look and sound professional to attract Corporate America more. Sean did not fit that mold back then
3) Goodell was certain that Payton just dismissed him when Goodell called Payton and shared his thoughts about the bounties, told Payton to look into it and clean it up - and Payton in Goodell's eyes, Payton did not clean it up

Bottom-line and no surprises here to Who Dats, Goodell has a huge ego (edit: SaintJ said it perfectly above!), is extremely power-hungry, insecure and a Naoplean like complex which fuels his vindictiveness. I'll betcha Goodell really does have a little guy (you know what I mean) complex - lol

Why did Goodell hate Payton so much? At first, I thought it was a Goodell vs. SAINTS thing, but it's now apparently a beef between Goodell and Payton.

Goodell seem to have chilled out a lot oover the past 4 years.

Because Goodell sure seems to be a nasty, vindictive *** ** * *****, which is not terribly inconsistent with the massive ego he clearly possesses. He loves his power and authority, and anybody who does not kiss the ring is a threat. Payton didn't meekly submit, so it was necessary to eliminate him.

Just like with the end of last season, Park Avenue made the same mistake again.

They left some of us alive.
The sign of a man with "adequacy issues."

Why did Goodell hate Payton so much? At first, I thought it was a Goodell vs. SAINTS thing, but it's now apparently a beef between Goodell and Payton.

Goodell seem to have chilled out a lot oover the past 4 years.
Payton called him out in that interview with Bensinger this time last year. I don’t think that helped one bit but I understand that he needed to finally have his say.

He was busy in the gym today, but he rattled off a bunch in spurts. Hope I got this....

I hope you all enjoy even if you don't agree. Pete likes good debates. He knows that he definitely does not know everything. When I dug into his knowledge of trying to stop Kamara he told me that any high school or college head coach knows everything I told you about how disruptive Kamara is. I asked him to predict the winner this week of the Saints game and he said "No." I think Jacksonville will play tougher than many suspect. They are not going to let Teddy sit in clean pockets all day like Tampa did last week. I want to see how Bridgewater handles the pressure. But I don't think we will see battles like Seattle or Dallas. Now that SP knows Bridgewater can go downfield, he will use that card if simply to keep defenses honest and not stacking against Kamara."
Thanks for the great write up! That is awesome!....I watched the highlights from the Jax game...those guys are tough, and are beginning to believe..we gotta keep it wired tight
this week!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom