Saints Coach Ryan Nielsen (...can anyone think of an exception)? (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
Since Ryan Nielsen has been with the Saints, it seems that EVERY player he's coached on the D-line has shown marked improvement.

The exception has been when a player has been injured.

It's no secret that Nielsen will probably not be with us after this season... he's too talented.

:gosaints:

Since Ryan Nielsen has been with the Saints, it seems that EVERY player he's coached on the D-line has shown marked improvement.

The exception has been when a player has been injured.

It's no secret that Nielsen will probably not be with us after this season... he's too talented.

:gosaints:

I expect him to be with us after this season. He has the assistant head coach title so I don't think he can leave unless he gets a head coaching job like Dan Campbell did. That's a big jump for him. Campbell at least had experience as an interim head coach with the dolphins.

Davenport is the main exception to me. He showed impressive growth year 1 and 2 adjusting to the nfl (despite injury) but took a step back on that trajectory year 3, though not that bad. That may have been partially due to Hendrickson's growth, which is really an endorsement of Nielsen anyway. Either way I think Davenport's main issue has been injuries. Every other d-lineman has been developing nicely, even if not linearly (ie Onyemata had a down year in 2019). I really like Turner's chances.

I actually think if we have another good year. DA will be on the move and he will be our next DC. I feel he actually may want that job next anyway. One thing is for sure, dude is ambitious.
Nothing wrong with that - being ambitious that is! Coaches getting opportunities are a positive for a staff, showing others that if you come ‘here’ you will get showcased if you do well.

Davenport is the main exception to me. He showed impressive growth year 1 and 2 adjusting to the nfl (despite injury) but took a step back on that trajectory year 3, though not that bad. That may have been partially due to Hendrickson's growth, which is really an endorsement of Nielsen anyway. Either way I think Davenport's main issue has been injuries. Every other d-lineman has been developing nicely, even if not linearly (ie Onyemata had a down year in 2019). I really like Turner's chances.
That lisfranc injury is the reason for the step back, no doubt. That's a tough injury on the foot a big guy uses to push off with. Just one of those things you hate, but things happen. I am expecting big things for Davenport this year, as he has some new competition and he wants to prove himself once and for all.

I actually think if we have another good year. DA will be on the move and he will be our next DC. I feel he actually may want that job next anyway. One thing is for sure, dude is ambitious.
This^

I believe Allen signed a 3 year contract prior to the 2019 season, so that would mean that after this coming season, Allen will no longer be under contract.
I don’t think Dennis Allen sucks, but I don’t think he’s a special coach either. Neilsen (on the other hand) does appear to be a special kind of coach... I think he takes over as the DC after next season... and then ends up moving on within 2-3 seasons to take over as the HC somewhere.

I agree. He has done an amazing job coaching up the DL. His promotion to assistant head coach and being the only position coach to be in the draft war room speaks volumes as to what the organization thinks of him.

IMHO, if Coach Nielsen is smart, he can jump to a nice HC position by staying as asst. HC for 2 years and studying under Sean. If he leaves before 2 years, then he will definitely get fired due to immaturity. He should learn from Dennis Allen, too fast a move to HC, which burned him.

There are certain teams to avoid, because they can be coach killers.

This^

I believe Allen signed a 3 year contract prior to the 2019 season, so that would mean that after this coming season, Allen will no longer be under contract.
I don’t think Dennis Allen sucks, but I don’t think he’s a special coach either. Neilsen (on the other hand) does appear to be a special kind of coach... I think he takes over as the DC after next season... and then ends up moving on within 2-3 seasons to take over as the HC somewhere.

I pray this exact scenario does happen. It will have us avoid losing the first 2-3 games every year due to bad D. Nielsen >>>> Allen. I think we cannot lose the first 2-3 games due to bad D. Wake up Allen, and adapt us so that we hit the gas from the first game onwards. This way, you can definitely be a HC next year, win-win for all of us.

That said, who is the next Nielsen for us? :)

If Payton were to step down next year, Nielsen would be our next head coach. He is a future head coach. It is simply a matter of time.

I think it unlikely that Allen will get another head coaching job. Is he really considered one of the league's best coordinators? And chances are we take a step back on defense this year.

His time as HC in Oakland did not go well (though I am not sure that anyone could been successful at that time).

And does he really come across as a head coach? He is not someone I would want to be the face and head of my team.

Payton will not leave after this year. Maybe not until he has established this program back into relavance. IMHO, he may probably leave after 3 years. He can talk very well and can earn a decent living in the commentary box.

I agree, Allen to me, does not sound like a HC material right now, but then if one of the 31 clubs feel it, they can hire Allen to be HC, what do I know about coaching?

To be clear, I don't think Payton is leaving in a year. I simply offered that possibility as a hypothetical to show how much I think the organization values Nielsen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom