Coach SP on Mike n Mike at 8:00 Eastern (1 Viewer)

Sean just said that there will be 2-4 persons interviewed for the DC opening. He stated that they have a couple of request to interview out that have not been approved (SF???).

That's what came to my mind. Maybe Harbaugh, being the ******* that he is, won't let us interview Tomsula and/or Donatell.

One thing Payton said is in interviewing other teams assistants, even if its for a promotion permission isn't a given. Has that changed recently?

The only positions that qualify as a promotion are head coach and assistant head coach no matter if you're a position coach or a coordinator.

Decision on DC will be made in a week or so. Will be interviewing 2-4 candidates. Hasn't been given permission to interview some assistants yet. Missed relationships with coaches/ players the most the last eight months. Had tough decision on defensive woes when first came back. Now will have some tough player decisions. Has/ had anger on how team was treated but its important to put it behind them. Anger is not the way to move forward.

The only positions that qualify as a promotion are head coach and assistant head coach no matter if you're a position coach or a coordinator.
Harbaugh didn't allow him to get interviewed last year so it wouldn't be surprising if he blocked the interview.

One thing Payton said is in interviewing other teams assistants, even if its for a promotion permission isn't a given. Has that changed recently?

NFL rule states that if an assistant is not interviewing for a HC position it is a lateral move.

"Assistant" is defined as any coaching position other than HC.

DL coach to DC = lateral move.

I thought coach sounded even keeled, not angry but very focused and determined. He spent a good bit of time discussing how the team will have to turn the page on this, this being bounty gate. He never sounded contrite or sorry, but he sounded resolved and I like that he's already thinking on how we move past this. I did get a sense of an underlying, not anger, but a quiet sense of righteous, focused resolve and determination to make the legacy of this team and his career be the accomplishments on the field. It's really great to hear coach's voice on the radio again.

NFL rule states that if an assistant is not interviewing for a HC position it is a lateral move.

"Assistant" is defined as any coaching position other than HC.

DL coach to DC = lateral move.

If that is true, it is a crock. Also, If Harbough is denying guys a chance to move up that is going to come back to haunt him in the long run. The great ones take the same approach as with players - next man up. If you are a true General you congratulate your guy and then trust your ability to find another good one.

I thought coach sounded even keeled, not angry but very focused and determined. He spent a good bit of time discussing how the team will have to turn the page on this, this being bounty gate. He never sounded contrite or sorry, but he sounded resolved and I like that he's already thinking on how we move past this. I did get a sense of an underlying, not anger, but a quiet sense of righteous, focused resolve and determination to make the legacy of this team and his career be the accomplishments on the field. It's really great to hear coach's voice on the radio again.

Well said. Coach was great.

So according to this interview, Ryan may be the front runner but he hasn't been interviewed and there are a couple more names in the pot.

If that is true, it is a crock. Also, If Harbough is denying guys a chance to move up that is going to come back to haunt him in the long run. The great ones take the same approach as with players - next man up. If you are a true General you congratulate your guy and then trust your ability to find another good one.

Absolutely. You have to be a pretty big **** to refuse to allow people working under you to move up in their lives.

What he (Payton) would consider a promotion isn't the same as the NFL interpretation. A promotion in NFL terms is pretty much assistant to head coach, so if the assistant is under contract he must get permission to interview for anything other than a head coaching position.

I don't think Grantham would even bothering doing an interview if it was already assumed that Rob Ryan was going to get the job

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom