Coach talks about watching LSU/Bama, pulling for LSU and taking plays from college games (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
video of interview on linked page

I thought the most interesting thing is, he talks about plugging in interesting plays that he sees in college on offense. Last year he says he saw something interesting in a bowl game, got the TV copy and plugged it into the Philly playoff game.

and of course we know the connection the the Tiger passing game but I had forgotten just how many of those guys he was connected with.

“Because of the time of the game at 2:30, there’s a gap between the evening meetings. If it was a night game there’s a challenge watching with our meetings. Yeah I’ll watch that, and watch it closely,” said Payton.
Four former Saints assistant coaches are now on the staff at LSU. Head Coach Ed Orgeron, passing game coordinator Joe Brady, defensive line coach Bill Johnson, and special teams coach Greg McMahon.

Is he pulling for LSU?

“Always, yeah. Always, absolutely.”

I don't remember hearing coach say much about LSU in the past. And not that he should necessarily except that it's a school right down the road that has infused the NFL with a lot of players. But he seems to consistently get more players from Ohio State and almost go out of his way to not draft from LSU (though he seemed to love Devery who he inherited).

I don't remember hearing coach say much about LSU in the past. And not that he should necessarily except that it's a school right down the road that has infused the NFL with a lot of players. But he seems to consistently get more players from Ohio State and almost go out of his way to not draft from LSU (though he seemed to love Devery who he inherited).
I honestly think this narrative is blown up by Tigers fans. If there's one thing Coach has proved in his tenure it's that he doesn't care where you went to school: Hofstra, Arkansas Pine-Bluff, UTSA... People point the the Ohio State thing but, as someone already noted regarding a separate point, correlation does not equate to causation. Each of those Buckeyes has been a stud and filed a need on this team. The familiarity (particularly on the secondary) is a bonus, but I'm positive CSP isn't trying to draft OSU players and avoid LSU ones.

It all depends on who is available at the draft in the moment the saints are on the clock. I doubt coach avoids drafting LSU players, but I doubt he would try to get them just because they come from LSU either. It just happens that when we are on the clock there are better players/players of positions we need more that comes from other schools.

Yeah I would think an offensive coach would not have much to say about what LSU ran in the past.

I would like to think that the saints take best player available and need long before avoiding LSU players heck they find them in Canada.

I can't knock drafting lately if they are this good and from Ohio I could give a rats butt.

Don't spread that stuff please.

Yeah would love to see bama get owned at home. I just don't see it. It will be a tight game.

This LSU/Bama game has to mean a little extra to Coach P. First, there's one of his former assistants coaching the Tigers, Coach O...
Then there's another of his disciples, Joe Brady. Joe turned Coach Payton's offense into a College RPO version, and it's working big time. There's gotta be a little ego involved there, and I wouldn't hold it against him.

Then there's the fact that SP has been here in New Orleans long enough now, by far, to sort of become native. I've lived around the country at different times in my life, and found myself natrurally going for the local teams.

Then somewhere deep deep inside me, I'm hoping that he's pulling for one young former Buckeye with an eye towards what it would take for us to climb up high enough to make him a Saint next April. Long shot pipe dream, but it's mine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom