Coaching chess match between Payton, Ryan takes center stage (1 Viewer)

justdave

Hung out to dry
Reaction score
"If I had to choose one non-playoff team from last season that has a chance to make it into the 2009 postseason, it would be the New York Jets. I think Rex Ryan will do a great job of creating a culture that lends itself to winning. I also love Mark Sanchez as a young quarterback prospect. We will find out soon enough."
-- Saints coach Sean Payton, on SI.com in July

METAIRIE, La. - He might not be Nostradamus, but Sean Payton sure knows football.

He knows all the intrinsic details that go into winning -- the most important, outside of talented personnel, being confidence and discipline. That's why, in his opinion, the New York Jets -- whom he has been preparing his New Orleans Saints to beat this week in a matchup of undefeated teams -- were a sensible playoff pick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81314d72&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I was thinking about this today.. we've been talking about matchups all week long.. but I started really wondering about what Sean Payton must be planning.. how much preparation must go into it.. could go into it.. I'm hoping Sean and Drew and company, come up with the right game plan.. I hope it is a smashing success ! :9:

:gosaints:

Think the matchup is going to be more between Ryan and Brees on gameday. Payton's matchup with Ryan was pre-game in preparing Brees. The works done. It's up to Brees now

That's what I don't think people are talking about enough. The Sanchez vs Williams defensive matchup. Williams will eat Mark Sanchez's lunch.

I think the whole game is going to come down to can Stief give Drew time.

What people are forgetting is GW has a pretty big ego. I mean when we picked him up I remember them showing him on the sidelines with this great competitive spirit. Do you honestly think he is going to let Rex come in here and get all the attention? IMHO, I think he goes after the Jets offense like there's ne tomorrow. And as for their defense, I believe thier good but what the media doesn't realize is how good ours is. GW is no fool, he has used just enough D to win games. Detroit- base D almost whole game. Philly- Not much more than that. Buffalo- 11 - 3 and outs. Come on, we have the most underrated D in the league, and I think Rex and the Jets are in for a surprise come Sunday. So I&#8217;m gonna put it out there right now and predict the Saints D Shuts out the Jets. Unless we get such a big lead that GW pulls back on the reigns, to not show more than he has to.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I think all the hype on this game is going to make my head explode. I honestly don't know that I've ever read and listened to so much pre-game analysis leading up to a game before. However, I'm not sure if this is 'hype' or if this is my ever increasing technical interests in the game. I've been watching the Saints for over 30 years, but going on 4 years now... I've become more and more interested, down to every detail of the game.. again, I think my head may explode..

I dreamed about this crazy game.. without getting into that much, the game was played in my old house, and I think I was in the game.. yeah, it was strange.

:gosaints:

same here kansast, i've been a fan forever but has just been since i'd say the Jeff Blake experiment that i've really gotten into the details of the game. I'm still learning from these guys though. drives my family nuts though.

and just think.. will get to go through it all again come giants time, maybe not in the same exact ways.. but just imagine if we're both undefeated come that matchup

I beleive the real matchup is Brees verses Sanchez, we all know how that should turn out.

That said I think Ryan backs off some on his blitzing early if it isn't totally successful and tries to shut down NO's running game with a little LB help up front. If they are successful while playing to stop the run the Jets D will play a lot of man coverage with a little cover 2 type of D mixed in. I think the Jets will be out of thier element and that should favor Brees.
JMO
mb

I had a dream about this game also! I was trying to get the channel the game was on and I couldn't for some reason. While switching the channels I saw Meachem get a long TD to start off the game and when I finally got to the right channel the dome was exploding!! Then the Saints and Meachem were doing some crazy endzone dance!! LOL!!

I beleive the real matchup is Brees verses Sanchez, we all know how that should turn out.

Unless something horrible happens Brees and Sanchez won't be on the field at the same time except maybe for the coin toss and postgame handshakes. So that's not really a matchup

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom