Coaching Record Footnote (1 Viewer)

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Reaction score
Didn't see any mention of this, but with the win over Seattle, Payton moved into a tie with Haslett for career wins as the Saints' Head Coach.

Haslett went 45-51 in 96 games, and Payton is 45-29. So a win against Dallas will put Payton in the #2 all time slot for us. It'll be a few years before he could possibly catch Mora's 93 wins at the top (93-74), but if we manage to keep him home he's actually slightly beating Mora's pace in the regular season (and slaughtering it in the post-season). Mora was 46-33 at the end of his 5th season in 1990 (lost one game to the 1987 strike). If for whatever reason you wanted to throw the 3 strike/scab game wins out it wouldn't matter because we started 1991 at 7-0.

With a win at Dallas, Payton only has to go 4-4 or better over the next 8 to be the fastest ever to 50 wins for us.

Just a footnote, but some might find it interesting.

That was a funny site, I remember those days, and never doubted him after the 2-0 start. I'll admit when he was first hired I was really dubious because he seemed so inexperienced, and it my anti-Cowboy bias made me doubt raiding them was a good idea. Colston's TD against Cleveland and then the long one to go ahead in GB had me full on board (and who on the planet could be negative heading into the Dome coming). The 8 minute drive against the Eagles 3 weeks later sealed the deal. I figured he HAD to be the guy that would get us to the promised land.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom