Coaching: Why dont our Corners turn their heads? (1 Viewer)

You have to keep yourself in position to be able to make a tackle if they make the catch.

What you're talking about IMO is the most difficult thing to master in football. It is scary to take your eyes off the receiver. If you lose "contact" with him, he's gone. Even if you get your head around, it's extremely difficult to find the football. If you do find the football, you have less than a second to judge its trajectory and get your hand on it.

It is a lot easier to rip through the basket after the receiver touches the ball.

Lack of talent to do so. Aaron Glenn has done a tremendous job and I can't imagine that he's not telling them that they should turn their head.

bingo.

Talent.

those that can do it and still stay fluid...STARTERS. those that cannot...3rd/4th string or PS guys - used in case of emergency.

Not meant to be week in week out starters.

the PI calls are getting a little out of hand. I'd spend more time in practice on technique defending those deep throws in one on one situations. footwork positioning locating the ball etc.

I get your point but you have to ask yourself...do you really think NFL cornerbacks aren't familiar with the idea of turning your head?

It's not coaching. It's just timing and ability with young guys. If you turn your head too soon, the WR can be 5 yards out ahead on you in a second. It's all happening in a flash as well.

And it's not just Saints either. You see this in any game you watch. It seems like they have really made it a point of emphasis. If the defender doesn't have his head turned around and if he's obstructing the receiver in any way, the flag is coming out. The penalty on Craig Robertson earlier this year against Oakland was a perfect example. The ball was thrown about 10 yards out of bounds but because Robertson didn't have his head around they threw the flag.

Webb actually did get his head around on a couple of good break ups.

Vacaro turned his head back to the ball, but still got flagged.

A few other times, the corners had gotten beat (like on the end around pass play) and are in chase mode to catch up. Tough to come out of that in time to turn back for ball.

Does anyone know why Dixon was playing left corner in 4th Q and not Sterling Moore?

I think our cornerbacks inability to turn their heads wouldn't be such a big issue if refs knew what a pass interference call was. Too many times the refs get lazy and throw a flag for PI when they see a cb didn't turn his head, even though a player turning/not turning their head wouldn't be PI anyway.

I really dislike this as well. Throwing a flag just because the DB didn't turn his head is really lazy officiating.

its not just the saints being flagged for PI, I've watched other games and its happening everywhere, a lot of the time it shouldn't be called, changing the game completely...

I can think of at least two PI calls where the DB did turn his head. One was Kenny Vacarro's PI which was completely bogus. The other, I can't remember which player it was...maybe Dixon?

Yes, it was Dixon. And I can't blame Dixon honestly. 1) He was being as physical with the WR as the WR was being with him. 2) Dixon is a st player first, and a cb second. He probably has a different mindset.

Webb actually did get his head around on a couple of good break ups.

Vacaro turned his head back to the ball, but still got flagged.

A few other times, the corners had gotten beat (like on the end around pass play) and are in chase mode to catch up. Tough to come out of that in time to turn back for ball.

Does anyone know why Dixon was playing left corner in 4th Q and not Sterling Moore?

Moore got injured and left the game.

The mere fact that they have to turn their head tells me they were beat. Don't get beat then the head will take care of itself.

As for losing speed when attempting to turn your head around to track the pass, the receiver also slows down just the same, no? Therefore; READ THE EYES of the receiver and watch when his eyes are obviously tracking the incoming throw. Pretty simple. If I did it in high school with relative ease. with much success, no reason a pro cannot. No excuse.

It was mentioned today, and there was even a thread on it.... Moore was schedule for MRI today, he was injured during the game.

Dixon usually turns his head too late, after bumping into the WR. He really looks like ha has no ball skills at all, he looks lost or seems to panic when matchup one on one on a deep ball. I thought Crawley got better over the last games... Webb and Moore havent had to defend deep balls that much if any.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom