Coffee tips (1 Viewer)

I gave up my pursuit for the perfect cup every morning. I have a French press, multiple pour overs, tried cheap beans, expensive beans and never seemed to achieve a good and flavorful cup. Certainly not on a repeatable basis. Measured the water temp, tried the blossom the grinds then the final pour over. Nothing.

Then, I had a nice and flavorful cup at a restaurant and asked the server. She said all they use is instant. So, that is what I am doing, full on instant. I am just as satisfied as I can make it as strong and flavor rich as I choose and at a fraction of the price. As a bonus, it takes 30 seconds and no mess to clean up. Yeah, I readily admit I suck and am a miserable failure at coffee greatness.
I keep a jar of instant coffee in my lunchbox for work but I usually make it too strong. It has its place. My coworkers are too stupid to handle a coffee maker. They have broken four within weeks of me bringing them in.

When I was in the final months of writing my dissertation, time was at a premium. My French Press routine was cut to instant.

I cannot drink instant without also tasting my dissertation.

Do not enjoy.

What is instant? Is that like putting coffee grinds directly in hot water, no coffee maker involved? I can't remember ever drinking instant. Always from a coffee maker.

What is instant? Is that like putting coffee grinds directly in hot water, no coffee maker involved? I can't remember ever drinking instant. Always from a coffee maker.
Ha. I used to think it was some kind of special grind that dissolved in water. What I have read is it is brewed coffee and the extract is then dried. Hot air and freeze dried are two methods I recall. It isn't that bad. But, my bar is very low due to my persistent suckiness at trying to make a great cup the traditional methods.

Cmon, you’re old enough to remember all those Folgers ads

Oh I remember the ads. Just never tried it, lol.

It was always Community Coffee or later on Starbucks/CC or some similar brand. I've never not used a conventional coffee maker to make my own coffee tho. And my parents were the same way.

I added the last piece of my coffee equipment this weekend.

Sboly Conical Burr Coffee... Amazon product ASIN B07Z8P348W
so much better than the small hand held grinders.

Now my search for beans I really like begins in earnest

I'd grind whole beans, but they don't stock the whole bean Community Coffee here. So I've have to settle for the pre-ground vacuum packed bags. Meh.

I'd grind whole beans, but they don't stock the whole bean Community Coffee here. So I've have to settle for the pre-ground vacuum packed bags. Meh.

where is here Dave, can’t remember if I ever knew. Anyway, if you buy from the same place all the time may be worth asking the Store Manager. If it’s shipped to them then it doesn’t seem like a lot of hassle to tinker the order a bit.

where is here Dave, can’t remember if I ever knew. Anyway, if you buy from the same place all the time may be worth asking the Store Manager. If it’s shipped to them then it doesn’t seem like a lot of hassle to tinker the order a bit.

Vienna, Virginia. Basically suburban DC.

We usually get it at Safeway or Harris Teeter here. They're fairly large, so idk if they would do that, but can't hurt to try.

i need a good coffee maker...

too lazy for a french press...cost isn't a big concern as long as it will last....something with a built-in grinder would be ideal

come at me

I've been putting in a tiny tiny pinch of salt over the grounds before brewing, seems to have a nice effect.

i need a good coffee maker...

too lazy for a french press...cost isn't a big concern as long as it will last....something with a built-in grinder would be ideal

come at me

I have the one circled.

The Mr. Coffee is probably a good one too, that likely won't have the potential leakage problem the Cuisinart has (due to design). My work around is to not leave the cuisinart filled all night. So, we basically never use the programmer, we just brew when we wake up.

1617210082016.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom