Coffee tips (1 Viewer)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sticky Post
So, I know a bunch of you are experienced coffee drinkers. Thinking about whether to keep coffee pot warmer on all day, or should warmer be turned off and reheat in the microwave?

When keeping warm for several hours, the coffee becomes more bitter, to the point it tastes burnt. Turning heat off and microwaving seems ok. Not as bad as the warmer after several hours.

Just thinking whether it's better to brew a large pot and have some ready for later in the day, or take the extra time, make a smaller pot, then make another small pot when needed.

And yeah, I know, I can always get a Keurig and skip that problem. Heh.

Any other tips from our resident coffee gurus?

Madmarsha

Love this team!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I dunno why coffee is so complex but it is. Thank heaven I never got a Keurig. Mostly I just get cold brew (not iced down coffee from Starsux) at PJ's. Much less bitter than hot brewed and I rarely want hot coffee anyway.
I have Community here and we just never brew it.

But if I wanted hot and keep it hot and not waste any by letting it get burnt, gotta be a thermal pot.

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

I've got one like this. An old Chilton drip-o-lator coffee pot. It belonged to my grandma and grandpa and my mom gave it to me a couple months ago, so it's special to me. It works wonderfully for me. Easily makes a 12 oz coffee each morning. Heat the water on the stove, pour in the top section, it drips down through the grounds that are in a paper filter in the middle section, and ready to pour from the bottom section in just a few minutes. Clean up is as easy as rinsing out since it's all aluminum.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Can you post a different pic? This one didn’t go through
I've got one like this. An old Chilton drip-o-lator coffee pot. It belonged to my grandma and grandpa and my mom gave it to me a couple months ago, so it's special to me. It works wonderfully for me. Easily makes a 12 oz coffee each morning. Heat the water on the stove, pour in the top section, it drips down through the grounds that are in a paper filter in the middle section, and ready to pour from the bottom section in just a few minutes. Clean up is as easy as rinsing out since it's all aluminum.

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
. Also get an electric cup warmer pad.
i worked with a woman who had one of those on her desk but fell to not really using. So she forgot about it and it slipped off the back of her desk and against the wall. Some months later we smelled something burning. We finally pulled the desk out and we found it had burned a hole in the wall. I have no idea why we didn’t smell it for months or how it didn’t burn the whole place down.

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I fixed it after realizing the original didn't work.

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If assumed that’s what it was
I haven’t had coffee from one of those anytime recently
Would be interested in sampling
I don't know if they even make such things anymore. I know they're available on places like eBay, though. Amazingly simple and effective and well worth it if you don't want a lot of wasted coffee.

OP
OP

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If assumed that’s what it was
I haven’t had coffee from one of those anytime recently
Would be interested in sampling
Same here. I did use a percolator for a couple of years. Made a pretty decent cup of coffee. A little extra cleanup, but was worth it.

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
I couldn't clean my Keurig like I wanted so I donated it to work where they trashed it by leaving it on 24/7. It overheated and the water tasted like plastic no matter how much you cycled through it.

I have a french press and a pour over. The pour over makes the best coffee.

DCSaints_Fan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I couldn't clean my Keurig like I wanted so I donated it to work where they trashed it by leaving it on 24/7. It overheated and the water tasted like plastic no matter how much you cycled through it.

I have a french press and a pour over. The pour over makes the best coffee.
Another vote for French press. Poor over also makes one of best cup.

Watch your levels. Drinking too much on a regular basis will mess you up.

I drank so much it was literally an addiction, that if I did not have it I would get a headache.

I now limit myself to no more than two cups per day, but mostly only on weekdays. I suffer no ill effects if I don't have it.

OP
OP

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I almost never exceed 2 cups a day. But most days, 1 cup is enough for me. I do drink from a 16 ounce cup, so it's not exactly a small cup.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Improbably in the range of 6-8 cups a day if it’s actual cups of coffee

It’s funny that ‘pour over’ is now the thing, when I was touring Europe I had a little set up I brought with me
Coffee, a cup, a ‘sit on top of cup’ carafe, and paper filters
I would tear off a strip from the top of the filter and roll it in a little tube and plug the drain so the coffee steeped a bit longer

That and peanut butter are what I made sure I had every tour

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Improbably in the range of 6-8 cups a day if it’s actual cups of coffee

It’s funny that ‘pour over’ is now the thing, when I was touring Europe I had a little set up I brought with me
Coffee, a cup, a ‘sit on top of cup’ carafe, and paper filters
I would tear off a strip from the top of the filter and roll it in a little tube and plug the drain so the coffee steeped a bit longer

That and peanut butter are what I made sure I had every tour
I'd have a percolator but I don't drink that much. That's great coffee.

My first wife's parents used a percolator and drank coffee 16 hours per day.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'd have a percolator but I don't drink that much. That's great coffee.

My first wife's parents used a percolator and drank coffee 16 hours per day.
My dad would drink coffee all day long
I could do it up to a point and then all of a sudden I couldn’t drink past 10:30 in the morning

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom