Coffee tips (1 Viewer)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sticky Post
So, I know a bunch of you are experienced coffee drinkers. Thinking about whether to keep coffee pot warmer on all day, or should warmer be turned off and reheat in the microwave?

When keeping warm for several hours, the coffee becomes more bitter, to the point it tastes burnt. Turning heat off and microwaving seems ok. Not as bad as the warmer after several hours.

Just thinking whether it's better to brew a large pot and have some ready for later in the day, or take the extra time, make a smaller pot, then make another small pot when needed.

And yeah, I know, I can always get a Keurig and skip that problem. Heh.

Any other tips from our resident coffee gurus?

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
do your research on the French Press’ they were not all created equal. A poor plunging mechanism and you will have grinds in your coffee
If the bonus grinds don't get through, what do you chew when you drink coffee?

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Brew a fresh pot of coffee. Use freshly (or at least somewhat freshly) ground coffee. Make sure it is brewed hot. Pour the coffee in a stainless steel double vacuum wall thermos. Hot or at least warm enough for most of the day.

That's what I do for work. The only issue for me is if my wife Brew's the coffee too early and by the time I get it in my thermos, the warmer has shut off.

Otherwise, I microwave it to reheat.

French Press or manual pour over (hario, chemex, etc) are all great options, but require some work and French Presses are a pain to clean.

Last edited:

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Cuisinart DCC-1200 Brew Central. I don't both with the program timer. I just fill it in the AM and run it. I've heard some issues with the seals over time, so that's why I just never used it that way. We had an issue with the first one after a year, shipped it back to them (you pay shipping), and got a new one sent back. That one has lasted like 5 years so far.

I keep it set on high. It does a good job. it has a carbon filter to at least make the water taste better, if you don't have a proper filter for your water.

I usually just get coffee from Costco. Either their Starbucks house blend, the Kirkland brand, or various options they have. I really like the Kona coffee and any time they get something out of Ethiopia. Otherwise, stick with the usual central and south American.

I have a Krupps grinder. I was going to get a conical grinder, but haven't. We grind about 3-4 days worth of coffee, and put it in an air tight container. I'd rather freshly grind prior to use, but my wife wakes up earlier, and needs coffee to live, and doesn't want to work for it.

johnnyrockets42

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I grind whole beans and use a bodium automated pour over coffee maker for my daily. Beans come from one of the few local coffee shops I visit so its a mix of panther, ruby, onyx, stumptown or madcap though there are a few other local roasters I would like to try.

I make 36 oz of coffee and put it in two thermal bottles and bring it to work because I cannot drink the hot plate special here. Drink it black but if get coffee at a shop I tend to go with cortado or other coffee drink.

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
I like Kenya AA, beans from Costa Rica, Larry's El Salvador Dali is good as well

jasonsw

Swimmer is my friend
Reaction score
So, I know a bunch of you are experienced coffee drinkers. Thinking about whether to keep coffee pot warmer on all day, or should warmer be turned off and reheat in the microwave?

When keeping warm for several hours, the coffee becomes more bitter, to the point it tastes burnt. Turning heat off and microwaving seems ok. Not as bad as the warmer after several hours.

Just thinking whether it's better to brew a large pot and have some ready for later in the day, or take the extra time, make a smaller pot, then make another small pot when needed.

And yeah, I know, I can always get a Keurig and skip that problem. Heh.

Any other tips from our resident coffee gurus?
I get up extremely early every day. So I take left over from the previous day and heat it in pan while walking the dogs. Then I don't have remake coffee for Cathy who wakes up later. Always good to have coffee ready at arms length. And yes I turn off the burner on my days off as soon as coffee is finished.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom